UKC

STA insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ander 10 Jan 2013
Anyone on here any experience of STA premier insurance in terms of cover for climbing?
 1poundSOCKS 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Ander: Yes, I had gold travel insurance with cover for mountaineering (obviously includes rock climbing). The claim I tried to make, for an allergic reaction, was rejected (it cost me $300 in private medical treatment but obviously could have been much higher). They had some 'small print' that excluded this. I also found out after my trip they had exclusion from any claims if I deliberately put myself in danger. Mountaineering/danger...HELLO!!! I'd go somewhere else, the BMC maybe. I only went with STA because I needed 4 1/2 months cover, and the BMC would only cover 3 months.
OP Ander 10 Jan 2013
In reply to 1poundSOCKS: I've got the small print in front of me, and the only thing that is worrying me beyond the usual small print stuff is:
1) the relative cheapness (too good to be true?)
2) the £5k limit on search and rescue
 duchessofmalfi 10 Jan 2013
A +1 to BMC insurance - the only place I've ever found where you can pick up the phone and ask a question and get an intelligent answer from someone who actually knows what they are dealing with.

RE: 1£socks - in future I'd ring them and see what they say!
In reply to Ander:
> (In reply to 1poundSOCKS) I've got the small print in front of me, and the only thing that is worrying me beyond the usual small print stuff is:
> 1) the relative cheapness (too good to be true?)
> 2) the £5k limit on search and rescue

5k wouldn't cover the fuel for the chopper!

do not touch this policy with a barge pole.
 1poundSOCKS 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Ander: It was hidden in the same line as depression & suicide, have you checked that bit?
OP Ander 10 Jan 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
> (In reply to Ander)
> [...]
>
> 5k wouldn't cover the fuel for the chopper!
>
> do not touch this policy with a barge pole.

really? A 30 minute flight round the complete Mont Blanc massif costs Euro200. So 5k would get me... More helicopter time than I care about.
Does anyone out there know a realistic estimate for SAR costs in Europe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...