UKC

Steve Findlay RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockcat 10 Mar 2023

Steve Findlay died on 3rd March at a hospital in Thailand. Suprised that apparently there is nothing on here about it. I knew his family but not him personally. Father of Hazel Findlay, he was a stalwart of the Bristol climbing scene, a Pembroke activist and a member of The Clean Hand Gang. He relocated to Australia and then Thailand. Perhaps others might want to fill in some biographical details? RIP. Condolences to his family and many friends.

profitofdoom 10 Mar 2023
In reply to rockcat:

I hadn't heard. That is really sad and a shock. I knew Steve very well and spent loads of time with him in Bristol in the 70s. He was the best. What a kind and good guy. RIP Steve 

Duncan Bourne 10 Mar 2023
In reply to rockcat:

Heard about it last week. Very sad

In reply to rockcat:

Very sad news indeed.

Ian Parnell 10 Mar 2023
In reply to rockcat:

That's a real shock. I didn't climb with Steve myself, but bumped shoulders often with him when I lived in Bristol. He was a real character, the sort that you could imagine Hollywood making films about. I believe Steve was the longest lasting member of the clean hand gang. Very good at gentle put downs when you'd topped out of the Leap having plastered a route in chalk that he'd be able to casually cruise 'without cheating' on a hot mid summer's day. Steve was incredibly strong and calm as a climber, but those attributes also seemed to shape his character in everyday life and it's no surprise that Hazel has grown up to be THE climbing Jedi, with the schooling she got from her dad. Others who know him better will no doubt have stories of his first ascents, adventurous repeats, partying prowess, his orchid hunting expeditions and his huge botanical knowledge. I remember Steve just being a great spirit to be around.

Dave Garnett 10 Mar 2023
In reply to rockcat:

I didn't know him well but Steve was often around when we climbed a lot in Pembroke and he was certainly the genius loci of Avon when we lived in Bristol.  You tended to be on your best behaviour when you knew there was someone who always be able to climb anything you might attempt in better style, with fewer runners, and without chalk!

rogerwebb 10 Mar 2023
In reply to rockcat:

That is sad news. He  very kind and encouraging when I was a teenager. He took me up routes in the Gorge that I had no idea I could do and gave me a new perspective as to what was possible.

A good and decent man who inspired others to get the most out of this sport.

Derek Furze 10 Mar 2023
In reply to rockcat:

Sad news.  I was living in Bristol in 1976 and working through stuff at the gorge in the evenings after work.  Steve was very generous is asking what we had done and recommending the next route in the chain.  His advice was always spot on.  Helped me break into extremes with some very hard HVS tips (Beard of Ffoeg Nosam) that are now E2.  We were clean hands at the time.

Gary Gibson 11 Mar 2023
In reply to rockcat:

Very very sad news condolences to all of his family and friends 😢 

john Dunne 11 Mar 2023
In reply to rockcat:

Very sad to hear that he was a superb and bold climber

Chris Shorter 12 Mar 2023
In reply to rockcat:

I knew the whirlwind that was Steve Findlay when his then wife was (Deputy?) Head of Saltergill Special School near Yarm in North Yorkshire, where I lived at the time. Steve was very much the househusband, looking after Ben and Hazel (only a baby then!) whilst Angie worked. Steve and I were naturally drawn together for climbing and drinking activities. I had to get used to recovering my "dirt bag" from places that Steve had hidden it - chalkless climbing was never going to be for me. Steve's time in North Yorkshire was all too short but he left behind a few good new routes on North York Moor sandstone and grit.

We saw each other only occasionally over the years but kept in touch, regularly exchanging emails about our respective expat lives in Australia and then Thailand for Steve and the Czech Republic for me. A few years ago Steve sent me a draft memoir that he was working on under the title "Never a Dull Moment". I made a few comments and Steve had great hope that he would get it published. Much to my surprise, I see that he was successful, and copies are still available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Never-Dull-Moment-Steve-Findlay/dp/0359915957

I remember that it did contain some rather bitter passages about old friends that he'd fallen out with, and I hope he watered these down or removed them before publication but, knowing Steve, he probably left it just as it was. Never a Dull Moment is certainly a record of a life lived to the full.

Steve, I'll be raising a glass to you this evening old friend!

Chris

Pedro50 12 Mar 2023
In reply to Chris Shorter:

An excellent post, I've ordered the book, sounds fascinating.

In reply to rockcat:

No one lives forever...not even Steve Findlay. I was shocked to read this. I climbed with Steve any time I was down south with my BMC work before he moved abroad. He always pinched my chalk bag at the start of the day with some pithy comment. He was a sound climbing partner and completely decent bloke. I still owe him a pint and a bag of chips after our last day climbing together at Fairy Cave. 

GraB 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Very sad to read this. I met him only once at a BMC international meet at PyB in 2003 or 2004. It was clear jut how much respect he commanded from just about everybody there - and there was an amazing array of  talent both from the UK as hosts and the international guests. He came across as a very kind person and super encouraging to all. I remember him being paired up with some young Swedish wad and they were having a total blast.

In reply to rockcat:

I was lucky to be able to climb with Steve when he lived in the north east. Days out with him were always memorable including his comments about my chalk bag to the beers after. He certainly left a mark in the routes he put up in the North York Moors. His orchid collection was something quite special. He was a great friend to both myself and Jancis. A sad loss.

caff 14 Mar 2023

RIP. Steves chalkless onsight of Watching the Ocean on Lundy still blows me away. It was a really 'out there' thing to get up in that manner.. Always nice chatting to him down pembroke too.

Chris Shorter 14 Mar 2023
In reply to David Richards25:

Hi Dave

Those hi-ball bouldering sessions we had with Steve were really hard on the body in the days before bouldering mats. I'm surprised my knees and hips still function well enough for me to walk!

Best wishes to you all up in North Yorkshire

Chris

ATL 14 Mar 2023
In reply to rockcat:

Very sad to hear. I hardly ever met Steve after we climbed in the same place at the same time many times in the 1970's.. But I still remember him so well... including good times in the Verdon...  Yet another reminder to get on a live life while we can...

paul wood 14 Mar 2023
In reply to rockcat:

Agreed there should be a proper write up including some cool photos of Steve.  Let's face it Steve was certainly more photogenic than most.

Pedro50 14 Mar 2023
In reply to paul wood:

From Extreme Rock:

hamwise 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Chris Shorter:

It's nice to hear about his time in the North East as I'm too young to remember most of it! 

Just as an FYI Dad wrote this book after a pretty drastic mental health turn and it's an upsetting read for those close to him, especially the people he's bitter about. I know that Dad on better form wouldn't like people to think badly of his friends and family so whoever reads it - I urge you to take those passages lightly. 

profitofdoom 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> From Extreme Rock:

What climb is that (haven't got the book, thanks)

leland stamper 14 Mar 2023
In reply to rockcat:

Hazel Findlay has now posted on Instagram and gives understanding to Steve's last years and their relationship. I've just read his book which gives a clearer picture of his life in some respects.

Pedro50 14 Mar 2023
In reply to profitofdoom.

Page 253, Think Pink E3 6a, Avon Gorge.

> What climb is that (haven't got the book, thanks)

profitofdoom 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> In reply to profitofdoom.

> Page 253, Think Pink E3 6a, Avon Gorge.

Thanks very much!

JimR 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> From Extreme Rock:

Was the cover photo in an early Crags before Extreme Rock

In reply to hamwise:

I'm sorry for your loss, Hazel. 

Pedro50 14 Mar 2023
In reply to JimR:

> Was the cover photo in an early Crags before Extreme Rock

I'll look tomorrow.

Pedro50 15 Mar 2023
In reply to JimR:

> Was the cover photo in an early Crags before Extreme Rock

Crags 26, attempt to free Pinkginsane A3

Dominic_Hall 15 Mar 2023
In reply to rockcat: I just found out too. I climbed a little with Steve in the late 90s. My pervading memory is of him being at the bottom of the crag when I pulled a hold off at the top off To Be is Not to Bolt and i had a 'moment'. He was a voice of calm. Condolences to Hazel and his friends and family. RIP

Post edited at 17:44
 kmsands 16 Mar 2023
In reply to rockcat:

I know from an article I researched that the best photo of the Range West Mass Trespass in 1991 is of Steve Findlay looking on while Dave Cook and a military guy in a landrover gesticulate at each other. I think from old forums on here, he then went on to arrange a similar trespass at Vixen Tor some years later, when there had been a nasty rope-cutting incident from one of the landowner's enforcers?

HappyTrundler 17 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

Remarkable, that photo of Steve trying to free Pinkginsane, now E6 6b, in about 1980, hard limestone, chalk free...he was a force of nature, on and off the rock....

Pedro50 20 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> An excellent post, I've ordered the book, sounds fascinating.

The book arrived, raw and riveting, couldn't put it down. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...