UKC

Steve Mac Jam Crack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 10 Jul 2018

Just noticed Jam Crack has started up again with an interview with Steve McClure:

http://www.niallgrimes.com/jam-crack-climbing-podcast/2018/7/5/jcpc-042-ste...

Wiley Coyote2 10 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

Am I missing something with this Grimes bloke? I know he is supposed to be very interesting and amusing but the opening was just dull and after listening for six minutes and still no sign of the  interview/chat starting I knocked it on the head,.

Al Onsight 10 Jul 2018
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

I met him in real life once. Wanted to knock him in the face after 2 minutes.

JLS 10 Jul 2018

It amused me. The interview was excellent.

TobyA 10 Jul 2018

Jamcrack has always been a bit shaggy like that. Grimer isn't a trained journalist as far as I know, and I guess he edits and produces it all himself, so I'm willing to cut him some slack as he gets great guests and no one else is doing anything else like it in the UK as far as I know.

The New NickB 10 Jul 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

> I met him in real life once. Wanted to knock him in the face after 2 minutes.

Doesn't strike me as a standing on Jeeps kind of guy!

andy healey 11 Jul 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

You should hear what he says about company managers from Sleaford. It's not pretty

Blanche DuBois 11 Jul 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

Just spent a minute looking through your profile, and kinda feel the same about you based on that.

spenser 11 Jul 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

I think Niall has a pretty odd sense of humour to say the least...

Si dH 11 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

Thanks for the tip, I'd assumed he had stopped permanently as it was so long since the last one.

Tigger 11 Jul 2018
In reply to Si dH:

I'm guessing that Limestone South was dominating his life for a few months? Brilliant guide though so all is forgiven, I must have listened to Paul Pritchard interview three times. Yea he's got a strange style but the interviews are quality and gives newer climbers like myself an insight into what was. No complaints from me!

galpinos 11 Jul 2018

Does your podcast player not have a skip/fast forward function?

Niall may well be an acquired taste and miss the mark on occasion but the podcast series has some great stuff on it, from Chris Schulte reading ‘The view from Dead Horse Point’ to the interview with Glenn Robbins. Very much worth sticking with it imho.

Keith C 11 Jul 2018

I think you are missing something - they are great in my opinion and looking forward to listening to this one. I guess not everyone has the same sense of humour but they are free and I imagine take a fair bit of time and effort. Of course if anyone thinks they could do a better job I'm sure the climbing community would love to hear it. Until then I'm grateful grimer is continuing to put these out.

Niall Grimes 11 Jul 2018

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to, cry if I want to.

Niall Grimes 11 Jul 2018
In reply to Al Onsight:

What, like really?

OP stp 11 Jul 2018

I can sympathize a bit but I wonder if that says more about us than the podcast? I think it was only about 5m before Steve came on the show. In this internet age we're just so used to getting exactly what we want when we want that waiting through a 5m intro can feel like a long time now. I never watch TV any more but waiting for a particular programme could easily entail a 5m wait with repetitive ads and trailers and then more ads every every 15 to 20m. Pretty sure I couldn't cope with that now. And of course the thing with internet podcasts and videos is it's really easy to just fast forward if there's a bit you're not interested in.

I think one Grimer's best things is the fact that he's a total lifer climber with a really deep knowledge of the sport and he really thinks about stuff too. This allows him to bring his own unique perspective to the interviews. This often leads to really insightful questions, not just the run of the mill stuff that produces run of the mill answers. This particular interview I thought was a good example of that. He asked several questions that took Steve by surprise and made him think a bit before answering. That skill might not be immediately obvious but don't think there are many people who could actually pull off something like that.

The show is definitely a bit shambolic and amateurish in some ways but I like it all the more for that. To me that's kind of a nice stamp of authenticity that this is very much part of the climbing community rather than some profit motive driven commercial venture.

It's definitely a bit like the Enormocast, another show I like and one that Grimer says he was inspired by. But the fact that this is about the British climbing community, something of which I am a part, makes it all the more interesting and valuable to me.

Removed User 11 Jul 2018
In reply to Niall Grimes:

I am so glad they are back. Me and my daughter (10) were listening to the podcasts on the way to the crag. Since they have been off air, I have to endure Ed Sheeran.

Post edited at 10:13
 Niall Grimes 11 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

Thanks for positing this up stp x

anyway, if you didn't like the Steve Mac one, you'll hate this: Nick Bullock reading from Tides

http://www.niallgrimes.com/jam-crack-climbing-podcast/jcpc-043-nick-bullock...

Jono.r23 11 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

I absolutely love jam crack, and in fact i probably look forward to niall’s intro’s most of all. Horses for courses i guess..s’pose some people have a pretty limited sense of humour

OP stp 11 Jul 2018

Really liked the Steve Mac one and, probably like many listeners, I'm now eagerly awaiting the promised combined interview with Ryan next.

TobyA 11 Jul 2018

You were pleading for attention Grimer so looks like you're getting it! Really enjoyed the Mclure interiew BTW.

What does everyone else think - is the slightly punchy bloke above just a Grimer sock puppet? Is he playing us with Machivellian/Putinesque podcast publicizing skill? 

Grimer - do you want suggestions of people to interview or have you got lots lined up?

Niall Grimes 11 Jul 2018
In reply to TobyA:

I already have a unusually large number of recordings in the can Toby - 2 more stories and 3 more interviews. 

There are a few people I'd love to corner or semi lined up - Gary, John Dunne, Ryan Pasquill, Hank Pasquill, Big George, Eric Jones, Hazel, Ondra, Margo Hayes are a few.

Feel free to make suggestions - especially of stories for reading too. However when I'm thinking of who to do, what I'm trying to find, is someone who will 'lift off the page' aurally. 

But yeah, be keen to hear your suggestions.

slinky wizard 11 Jul 2018

Really enjoy Jam Crack Niall????????Get Steve STP for one of your shows  really interesting guy!

TobyA 11 Jul 2018

I've always wanted to know more about Dave Heselden - I've heard he's Sheffield based. He's one of those names you see listed on FAs, but never hear anything else about. He did some incredibly hard Scottish winter stuff back in the 90s and early 00s, Foobar Bundee sticks out in particular - the picture was utterly terrifying as I remember - I think he's done hard alpine FAs in the Canada with Simon Richardson and I'm sure I've seen his name on rock FAs down this way too. But obviously someone who has never courted any publicity.

Big fan Niall, when are you next on tour!

James Malloch 11 Jul 2018

How about Alan Carne? I've heard some great stories from him of the old stoney days and he's still cranking out the high sport grades now!

Stoney Boy 11 Jul 2018

Get Jack Street on there while he is still around and ask him about the first ascent of Citadel and some of the routes he did at Stoney......A seriously underrated Climber. 

Tom Briggs 11 Jul 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Dave is about as self-deprecating/understated as they come. The ultimate Dark Horse.

Big George would be great. As would Martin Crook.

DannyC 11 Jul 2018

Any chance you could jam-crack Calvin Torrans? Anything I know about him suggests he's got a fine story to tell. 

Also, some reading from Tom Patey's One Man's Mountains would go down a treat. 

I'd also like the intros to be more weird and rambling.

Keep up the good work,
D.

TobyA 11 Jul 2018
In reply to Tom Briggs:

> Dave is about as self-deprecating/understated as they come. The ultimate Dark Horse.

Thanks Tom; when I was writing my post I started thinking, have I remembered this right? Has my memory mixed up various people down the years with similar sounding names? Is the mysterious Mr Heselden just a figment of my imagination! Glad for the confirmation that I'm not getting confused in my dotage.

Si dH 11 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

> The show is definitely a bit shambolic and amateurish in some ways but I like it all the more for that. To me that's kind of a nice stamp of authenticity that this is very much part of the climbing community rather than some profit motive driven commercial venture.

> It's definitely a bit like the Enormocast, another show I like and one that Grimer says he was inspired by. But the fact that this is about the British climbing community, something of which I am a part, makes it all the more interesting and valuable to me.

I definitely agree with your first paragraph above. I suspect though that it helps as a listener if you are an intimate part of that community yourself. For example, Grimer refers to the Caff blog thing in his intro that you linked. To 'get' that, you need to have read Caff's blog and the UKB thread that led to it. So for people who are casual /occasional climbers and don't follow things so closely, a lot of Grimer's jokes might go over their heads. I wouldn't change it though

Your analogy with the Enormocast is interesting. That's one of my least favourite podcasts because (a) he likes the sound of his own voice too much and (b) I don't (!) Being brutally honest with myself, I guess that is probably just a result of my own lack of understanding of US climbing culture and my dislike of his accent.

Looking forward to more Jamcracks. 

Post edited at 12:53
 tlouth7 11 Jul 2018

The intro is certainly not focussed, but I love the stream-of-consciousness style. Also I listen to podcasts in the car and will go for something that sounds good over interesting content every time (and Jam Crack sounds great imo). Try it on a long drive in the dark and rain, it's totally immersive and almost hypnotic. Also nice to have a podcast that isn't an American accent or radio 4.

Looking forward to a new series!

Niall Grimes 11 Jul 2018

Hi all, thank you for your suggestions. Actually Dave Hes is someone who crossed my mind. He's got a nice voice.

And I'm glad people are okay about the rambling. I get it that some people might find it annoying but in something like this you're only ever going to do it your own way. Be yourself.

And also, unlike Americans, a lot of Brits aren't that into talking about themselves and need a lot of cajoling.

And Danny C, I interviewed Calvin when I was last over in Ireland a few weeks ago. Also - One Man's Mountains - see episode 23. It's already there!

And no, it's not very professional. I've had to learn all the stuff and do everything myself. When UKC were doing Factor One Podcast with Will Treasure, when I listened to it i was dumbfounded by the production level of it. It must have taken forever to put together. I can just about find the time to shit out these shoddy versions.

deacondeacon 11 Jul 2018

They're rad. A breath of fresh air. 5 out of 5

David Alcock 11 Jul 2018

Jam Crack's great. It'd be good to hear you read a couple of your own stories - especially the hitching from Font one.

DannyC 11 Jul 2018

Top news on the Calvin interview! And that's cool about Patey, I hadn't spotted that'un. Will listen later. D. 

Mick Ward 11 Jul 2018

> And no, it's not very professional. I've had to learn all the stuff and do everything myself. When UKC were doing Factor One Podcast with Will Treasure, when I listened to it i was dumbfounded by the production level of it. It must have taken forever to put together. I can just about find the time to shit out these shoddy versions.

Keep shittin'! We love the, err... product. (Well, most of us do.)

Looking forward to the Calvin interview. He was an inspiration to me, back in 1967. And he's been an inspiration ever since. Long may he continue.

Mick

deepsoup 11 Jul 2018
In reply to DannyC:

> Also, some reading from Tom Patey's One Man's Mountains would go down a treat. 

Or singing the songs?  How about a rousing chorus of 'Onward Christian Bonington'?

OP stp 11 Jul 2018

> anyway, if you didn't like the Steve Mac one, you'll hate this: Nick Bullock reading from Tides

Just listened whilst having a bath. I really enjoyed it. The Orme story was one I bet a lot of climbers can relate to but superbly written. Tempted to look for a pirated copy of the whole book now.

remus Global Crag Moderator 11 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

Some south western climbers could make interesting interviews...Pat littlejohn, Dave Henderson, Martin Crocker.

TobyA 11 Jul 2018

I presumed Will was a radio professional because the Factor One podcasts were great, but there have only been a few of them! Like Chris's Mountain Podcast - also superbly produced but he just ran out of time, energy and probably money to keep doing them. Jamcrack might be a bit shaggy (and only sometimes), but you were churning them out week in, week out (or bi weekly at least) and that's a huge achievement in itself - I reckon it's great that the UK climbing community has Jamcrack. So a proper genuine thank you from me at least.

Chris the Tall 11 Jul 2018

Great to hear that you decided to resume the series. Looking forward to hearing it. And ignore those you don’t like your quirky sense of humour - keep on doing it your way!

John2 11 Jul 2018

'Feel free to make suggestions'

Just a thought - if I didn't have to listen to 5 minutes of rambling 'comedy' at the start I would be more likely to hang on to hear the worthwhile interview material.

slab_happy 11 Jul 2018

You've surely got to interview the Dawes at some point, right?

How about the amazing Angela Soper?

RupertD 11 Jul 2018
In reply to TobyA:

+1 Dave Heselden

In reply to remus:

> Some south western climbers could make interesting interviews...Pat littlejohn, Dave Henderson, Martin Crocker.

+1 to this... would love a pat littlejohn one! Dave Henderson would be a laff 

Paul16 12 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

It was a good day when the new Jam Crack podcast landed on my phone. I'd almost given up on it, it's been so long since the last one.

Niall Grimes 12 Jul 2018

Thanks again for the feedback. Toby what's that word you've used a couple of times - shaggy? I like that. Like a blend of shambolic and woolly. 

As to suggestions of guests, all noted. There are people I'd like to do, many of the ones that have been mentioned, but I have to get to a point where I know what the story is to make it turn me on.

An example of this, one of my faves, was with Joe Healey. After a two minute chat in the rain outside the Works one day and whatever he said, I knew that it would be a great chat. Check it out. And I'm glad someone above mentioned Glenn Robins. Perhaps my all time favourite Jam Crack.

Also, John2, why not just fast forward the bit at the start you don't like? I'm not going to stop talking crap at the start because I enjoy it and that's why I do the podcast. I'm not saying you'll like the interviews cos I talk in those too, but you might? Worth finding out.

Thanks again all,

Niall x

RogerG 12 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

Niall,

Jam Crack is brilliant! Keep it up and thank you

cheers

Niall Grimes 12 Jul 2018
In reply to RogerG:

Blush blush!!

cheese@4p 12 Jul 2018

So pleased that Jamcrack is back - original and full of interest.

Tom Last 12 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

It’s great, Niall. Loved the “Do an E9” motivational intro especially.

Would second some of the southwest climber suggestions. Pat Littlejohn, Dave Henderson, Des Hannigan is a great raconteur too. 

Now, if you could get Mark and Rowland, that would be a coup...

RWB1986 14 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

Sometimes Nialls rambaling's are the best part of the show... the 'over the phone' interview with Adam Ondra was hilarious. Unfortunately i can never remember which number podcast it was

planetmarshall 14 Jul 2018
In reply to Mick Ward:

You should go on, Mick. You must have some stories.

Mick Ward 15 Jul 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

Bless you, that's kind of you. But I'm the classic old skool writer, always hiding behind the written word. Love listening to other people though and hope Grimer will carry on with the podcasts.

Mick

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 15 Jul 2018

I’d like to hear more about what Iain Small has been up to in Scotland. (It may need subtitles).

Post edited at 09:44
 mike123 15 Jul 2018
In reply to stp: thanks for the heads up . I was a fan of the first "series " and have just enjoyed that . I don't need to use it with these but My podcast app has a button that skips 15 second chunks which I use to miss out the bits at the start I'm not interested in . One or two of the people nial interviews I found dull or I have no intrest in and have a very simple solution to that . Also , If people talking bollox made me want to smack them in the face I think I'd have very sore hands ( and be continually finding myself face down on the floor with a sore nose and a headache , wondering what happened ) .

In reply to Mick Ward:

> Bless you, that's kind of you. But I'm the classic old skool writer, always hiding behind the written word. Love listening to other people though and hope Grimer will carry on with the podcasts.

> Mick

Mick, It’s a rare thing for someone with the gift of words on paper not to be able to transfer it into conversation. You’ve got the stories, so give it a whirl!

paul

Wft 15 Jul 2018

In reply to:

I’d love to hear a chat with -

Ken Palmer, if you don’t I will. 

Alan Carne, the lifer’s lifer! 

And rather oddly I’d like to hear a Jam Crack perspective on Neil Gresham; for someone who is so omnipresent and interwoven into the fabric of UK climbing I feel like we know barely anything about him. 

The podcast makes me smile everytime, our climbing culture depends on this type of media to avoid the unthinkable. 

Post edited at 15:31
 Niall Grimes 16 Jul 2018

Again all, thanks for the feedback and suggestions  I’ll bear all these people in mind, and if the stars align I’ll see what we come up with  

niall

adam clarke 16 Jul 2018

Loved both of the new batch of podcasts. I think Bullock would make for a fun interview (as would 'the hippie')

First lot were brilliant and got me a personalised copy of John Redhead's book - thanks

Niall Grimes 16 Jul 2018
In reply to adam clarke: Yeah Adam, I intend to interview Nick.

steveriley 18 Jul 2018

Smashing. See if you can tease out some chat from a few more of the youngsters. Enjoying the Joe Healey pod right now - I'm off to Pex again for sure, currently having a bit of a comeback thankfully.

Niall Grimes 18 Jul 2018
In reply to steveriley: Any youngsters in mind Steve?

steveriley 18 Jul 2018

Probably people I've never heard of

I'm 53 and all 'ooh, a John Allen interview, that'll be good' so someone not like that. But still old enough to have a past obvs!

Alex the Alex 18 Jul 2018

Franco? Franco.

adam clarke 18 Jul 2018
In reply to Alex the Alex:

Franco would be great. And Udo Neumann if you can get him. That would be cool

Niall Grimes 19 Jul 2018
In reply to steveriley:

... aaaahhhh...

http://www.niallgrimes.com/jam-crack-climbing-podcast/jcpc-032-john-allen

Or did I misunderstand you?

Niall Grimes 19 Jul 2018
In reply to adam clarke:

Yes, my agent has been in discussions with Franco's agent, so watch this space.

Udo would be good. I love the way he understands climbing. Let me see...

steveriley 19 Jul 2018

Enjoyed that one last night. Just keep doing, what you're doing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...