UKC

Struggling with thin skin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JackM92 02 May 2019

Really struggling with my skin, most bouldering and sport climbing sessions end way before my fingers and arms are done as my fingertip skin seems to wear out much faster than other peoples.

Has anyone found any particular product to help with this? Some recommendations would be very welcome

In reply to JackM92:

Hey Jack, 

Do you use any moisturising products such as Climb On? Clearly everyones skin differs, but I think mine benefits from not using it and just going climbing - this tends to firm them up nicely. 

That said, I think I'm quite lucky when it comes to skin...

Jon Greengrass 02 May 2019
In reply to JackM92:

I moisturise my finger tips with Lansinoh pure lanolin cream. At a recent blood test the nurse had to stab the prick test-thingummyajig on the side of my finger because the pad was too tough.

Wearing out the skin on finger tips can be a sign of poor technique, just like wearing out shoes prematurely, or maybe you just try harder than the other people you climb with to the point were your fingers are sliding off the holds before you let go.

In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> Wearing out the skin on finger tips can be a sign of poor technique

or just a sign you're climbing on Dartmoor Granite, Gritstone, or any other friction based rock type...

afx22 02 May 2019
In reply to JackM92:

As stated above, Climb On is good for post climb skin care.  I prefer the cream version and find it more effectve than other brands.

I've been dabbling with Rhin Skin Performfance and Tip Juice.  These contain antihydral componets that reduce or stop your fingers sweating.  This works well for me in that I find that chalk lasts longer and becuase my fingers slip a little less, my skin last a little longer.  I think you can over do it and your skin can become too dry and start to crack, so I think care is needed but overall I'm convinced it helps me.

Another point is that I know some people who use hand moisterisers and their skin rips up much easier than mine.  I think such creams soften the skin, as opposed to toughen it.

Baron Weasel 02 May 2019
In reply to JackM92:

Your body will physiologically change with time. The same happens if you play guitar or walk barefoot your body adapts over time and your skin gets thicker. 

planetmarshall 02 May 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> That said, I think I'm quite lucky when it comes to skin...

No to mention your hair. I can't imagine what you must go through in conditioning products.

MischaHY 02 May 2019
In reply to JackM92:

Yeah Rhino is the way forward. I never realised just how sweaty and soft my skin is naturally until after I started using it. The double benefit is that because your skin lasts so long you can train way harder and have more attempts on rock. I did a trip to Siurana recently and climbed 6 days out of 7 (3 on 1 off 3 on) and at the end of it my skin was fine. Absolute game changer. 

I use dry spray combined with a homemade hand balm which is a mega combination - something like Climb On will do the job to replace the homemade stuff. I've also got the performance cream which I'll use daily on a trip, whereas dry-spray I use 3-4 times a week (although I've got pretty sweaty hand as mentioned!)

Jon Greengrass 03 May 2019
In reply to afx22:

> Another point is that I know some people who use hand moisterisers and their skin rips up much easier than mine.  I think such creams soften the skin, as opposed to toughen it.

Agreed, I've found most moisturisers are bad for developing tough skin, because they contains too much moisture i.e. water. Baths, swimming, hot tubs, washing up without gloves all wreck my skin.  I find the oils/waxes in Lansinoh and products like climb-on, keep the skin supple and prevent the dead skin cells flaking off allowing my skin to grow thick and tough.

ChrisBrooke 03 May 2019
In reply to JackM92:

I'm struggling with my tips at the moment as well. It's a combination of climbing on grit more often than I ever have, and enjoying regular saunas. The heat and sweat in the sauna seem to be wrecking my fingertips, but I love it....  I just use a lot of Climb On and try to allow a couple of days between sessions for thin bits to heal, taping over when I climb if I must. 

Deadeye 03 May 2019
In reply to JackM92:

It's ok.  We'll be gentle with our home-truths.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...