UKC

Taking beginners top-roping in the South Lakes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deacondeacon 10 Jun 2018

I'm in Grange-over-Sands for the weekend and a mate has asked if I'll take him climbing gor the first time. Where is the best spot in the South East lakes area? Don't really fancy driving back into the mountains as I'll be heading back to Sheffield afterwards.

Thinking Hutton Roof at the minute unless there's some better ideas. 

nickcj 10 Jun 2018
In reply to deacondeacon:

Lindale Slabs are just north of Grange. Small, Slab suitable for top-roping but Hutton Roof is probably your best bet. 

woppo 10 Jun 2018

Hoad slabs, Ulverston? Bolt belays but busy road nearby.

as mentioned, Hutton roof probably better if heading east

Post edited at 07:22
OP deacondeacon 10 Jun 2018

Nice one guys. Hutton Roof it is then haven't been since I was little so should be nice to see if much has changed. 

In reply to nickcj:

I took my boys climbing to Lindale Slabs for their first outdoor routes, and was informed that it is a "bookable crag" and an instructor had reserved the crag for the day.

Perhaps everyone else is already familiar with this system, but it came as a surprise to me.

Bob Kemp 10 Jun 2018
In reply to crossdressingrodney:

The landowners control access and there's an outdoor centre that does the bookings.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/rad/view.aspx?id=227

Hope it's not a system that spreads but I can understand the point in this special case.

djwilse 11 Jun 2018

There is also Farleton, which has slightly longer routes and a bit more range. Downside is the bottom of the crag is tree covered and a few more hazards (including another drop below). Farleton Crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...