UKC

Talk me out of spending lots of money...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
A full rack of cams isn't really all that necessary for limestone is it? Or is it?
 The Norris 20 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO:

Do it, before you spend it on beer.
 Boogs 20 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO:

No .

But those Totems look lovely don't they ? What fine design & engineering.

http://www.totemcams.com/catalogue/index.php?id=1&f=1

The DMM Dragons look a bit spesh too , do they not ?

Don't do it .

In reply to 2PointO: Ooo, the totems do look rather fancy. Hadn't thought about them. I've already got some Dragons and can't decide if I should buy the other sizes of them or get different cams. Or get new half-ropes.
Clauso 20 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO:

Do it. You need them. You need them all.
 Blue Straggler 20 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO:

Get wired tricams! I got six for about 44 Euros direct from Kouba
 jas wood 20 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO: Are you going to climb exclusively on limestone for the rest of your time ? i have used cams on limestone. Get a set 1-2-3 and build on that.
In reply to 2PointO: FWIW my current thinking on cams for general UK climbing is:
small - Wild Country Zeros, sizes 4,5,6
medium - DMM Dragons, sizes 1,2,3,4
large - DMM Demon cams, sizes 3.5 & 4

I think Dragons are currently the best cams on the market in the size range 1-4.

Above that Demons, retain most of their advantages but are a bit lighter.

However, below a Dragon size 1, I think you should really look at dedicated micro cams. My preference is for WC Zeros as they retain the doubled slings of the Dragons/Demons, but others prefer Metolius Master cams, Aliens (now being made by Fixe) or Black Diamond C3s.

HTH
 cuppatea 20 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO:

You are Bolderlicious and I claim my 5 pounds.
In reply to 2PointO:
Cams aren't essential on limestone, wiggly sided cracks and slick rock can cause problems (cam walking, easier to pull out under load). Personally I prefer wires and hexes to cams on limestone. However on rock with more uniform sided cracks and a bit more texture they are the first things on the rack. Obviously everyone has their own ideas about what is best, just thought I would drop my thoughts and experience into the pot.
In reply to jas wood: No, obviously not. Limestone just happens to be most local at the moment. And I have sizes 1, 2, and 3. I just wanted someone to give me a good enough excuse to not spend the money.

End result: I spent the money.
 HB1 20 Jan 2013

> End result: I spent the money. . .

. . . don't know where your local limestone is, but if it's Derbyshire then, like Trevor says, take care in the placements and don't rely too heavily on them

dale1968 21 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO: they look good hung up in the garage!
 alasdair19 22 Jan 2013
In reply to 2PointO: you need about 6 cams between 2, so if you have mates then hey but 3.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...