UKC

Thank you - Raven Crag today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Kelly 07 Jan 2018
Thanks to the two teams who helped reunite me with a bunch of cams after one of my gear loops failed catastrophically today
Cheers
John
 BlownAway 07 Jan 2018
In reply to John Kelly: what are you like?!

planetmarshall 07 Jan 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

> ...one of my gear loops failed catastrophically today

Not an Arcteryx harness by any chance?
OP John Kelly 07 Jan 2018
In reply to planetmarshall:

Camp air AR - very light, quite cheap, but not when you drop £100 worth of cams, maybe 4 year old, well used but not knackered, thinking arcteryx next maybe? Stronger?
 planetmarshall 08 Jan 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

> ...thinking arcteryx next maybe? Stronger?

No, quite the opposite. I've had issues with the plastic sleeves over the gear loops slipping - could definitely result in cam loss (https://www.dropbox.com/s/wa4ck62da30y14p/IMG_20171114_222854.jpg?dl=0)

Was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same or if it was just a one off. It is an easy matter to repair.

OP John Kelly 08 Jan 2018

Your pic - Not great but I could have lived with that, I snapped the cord, snagged I think and then I moved upward.
Think Metolious make gear loops 10-12 kn so might have a look at that
 GarethSL 08 Jan 2018

Have you ever removed or adjusted the direction of the plastic sleeve on your harness? They are an absolute bugger to get back on properly. Otherwise I personally have never had this issue nor seen anything similar happen. But will agree that the sleeve does need to be checked from time to time.
Removed User 08 Jan 2018

Same issue with loops
 Martin Bennett 08 Jan 2018
> No, quite the opposite. I've had issues with the plastic sleeves over the gear loops slipping - could definitely result in cam loss (https://www.dropbox.com/s/wa4ck62da30y14p/IMG_20171114_222854.jpg?dl=0)

> Was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same or if it was just a one off. It is an easy matter to repair.

Yes, I have. Solved the problem by simply taping up each end of each loop with electrical tape - the stuff I use to identify crabs, wires etc. It's a complete cure. When I got my second Arcteryx harness I did it before I ever used it, knowing what was to come. It's a minor design fault but not enough to put me off the comfiest lightest harnesses I know.
Post edited at 12:46
 Jim Walton 08 Jan 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

10-12 kN! Crickey the harness will only be 15!!
OP John Kelly 08 Jan 2018
In reply to Jim Walton:

Think, with bit research, 9 or 10kn
 Rog Wilko 08 Jan 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

I'd keep away from sea cliffs till you've got a new harness.
 planetmarshall 08 Jan 2018
In reply to Martin Bennett:

> Solved the problem by simply taping up each end of each loop with electrical tape.

Good idea, I'll do that now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...