UKC

The Bat Cave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/gallery/daredevil-climber-...

Spotted this in the local paper and thought it worth a share .

CT

riddle 07 Apr 2021
In reply to Archmagos_Dominus:

It's a good-ish route if it is raining elsewhere.  Kyrie Elesion gives more bang for your buck.

Lankyman 07 Apr 2021

> Spotted this in the local paper and thought it worth a share .

> CT

Daredevil but amateur - how can he defy gravity with such ease? It's unbelievable.

Greenbanks 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Usual comment from ‘outraged’ of somewhere or other at the end of the piece I see...

Michael Hood 08 Apr 2021

Gosh I am in awe at this amazing feat.

Seriously though, you just got to love local newspaper reporting.

I do think he's a bit of a wuss for waiting until it's got new shiny bolts. Much more exciting if the hangers have worn down to the "will it hold my body weight?" state 😁

mike123 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Archmagos_Dominus: obviously rebolt ing it was a trivial affair , since no mention is made of it being  otherwise , probably took somebody half an hour or so on the way home from Thornton’s .

< is there an emoji for sarcasm ? If so please insert > 

Luke90 08 Apr 2021

Was this the one where the photographer posted on here a few weeks ago looking for a volunteer to climb it and be photographed?

Dan Arkle 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Luke90:

I think so. Rod certainly posts on here a bit. The photos are good. 

The newspaper 'style' is always unfortunate - from what I've seen of the industry its almost inevitable - give them a decent story and they always sensationalise it with the same phrases. 

Anyway - nice one Liam - you come out of this well. 

In reply to Luke90:

> Was this the one where the photographer posted on here a few weeks ago looking for a volunteer to climb it and be photographed?

I wondered this when posting . 

Rob Exile Ward 08 Apr 2021

I didn't know people still did this sort of thing.

Red Rover 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

They see me aidin', they hatin'

deepsoup 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Luke90:

> Was this the one where the photographer posted on here a few weeks ago looking for a volunteer to climb it and be photographed?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/doveholes_the_bat_dovedale+thor...?

john arran 08 Apr 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

Someone called Rod Kirkpatrick both started the thread and is credited for the photos.

CantClimbTom 08 Apr 2021

I've seen that shot from inside with the climber on aiders silhouetted and dark/low exposed cave sides... and wondered where it was. That route looks great, would love to get the aiders out and give it a try

Thanks for sharing

3 Names 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

> They see me aidin', they hatin'

'Try to snap me climbing dirty'

Post edited at 12:51
 Lankyman 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Usual comment from ‘outraged’ of somewhere or other at the end of the piece I see...

'The nurses don't want fools like him in their beds'. I'll bet they can't wait to see the usual drunk, stupid and obnoxious cretins back once the pubs are open again?

beardy mike 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I seem to remember it was with you I did this my first time? Or was that Andy W? I remember climbing some steep HVS on the other side of the river with you for sure and aquaplaning the Landy on the way to get there...

There are other lines in there too - much more actual aid rather than A1 swinging... I remember clearly swinging from Skyhooks up the pillar to the right and then cliping poor pegs to rejoin the main line...

pec 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

> I do think he's a bit of a wuss for waiting until it's got new shiny bolts. Much more exciting if the hangers have worn down to the "will it hold my body weight?" state 😁

It was ancient prussicks larksfooted onto rusty bolt stubs that the hangers had come off and rusting pegs wedged in by rotting wooden wedges when I did it!

Misha 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> 'The nurses don't want fools like him in their beds'.

I’m sure nurses are perfectly capable of making their own choices of romantic partners.

beardy mike 09 Apr 2021
In reply to pec:

I remember doing Malham main a bit like that. The first retrobolted pitch was dead easy, and then swing from bolts which flexed under your weight, and less than a mm of steel left connecting the sides of the hole together all the way round the lip... then at the top there was missing and I had to skyhook the hole and then place a cam in a wet limestone slot... never been so scared...

EdS 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Misha:

> 'The nurses don't want fools like him in their beds'.

> I’m sure nurses are perfectly capable of making their own choices of romantic partners.

Don't you just love these comments in local rags --- nurses would much rather have someone injured doing exercise than a fat lazy knacker. They generally recover better.

Mind you nurses aren't exempt form doing daft things ---- my other half is a nurse . Wasn't me that took a 11m ground fall 6 hours into a caving trip in France and had to be rescue with suspected broken pelvis (dislocated pubic rami the x-ray showed). Or broke her ankle skiing in the Dales (that was my idea though)

Mind you she does think climbing is a bit odd --- 

beardy mike 09 Apr 2021
In reply to EdS:

She thinks climbings odd when she's a caver? Interesting...

JohnBson 09 Apr 2021

Lol, he wasn't drinking a crate of beer attached to his haul line though... 

wilkie14c 09 Apr 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

The bat is fun and can be hard work but as you say, other aid routes in the caves are good, dynamic aiders on the little cave is mainly hooking wires over old bolt nubs. The ball in the main cave is a good warm up too

EdS 09 Apr 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

Doesn't like heights - can't see them in the dark 🤣

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...