UKC

The Importance of Grammar at the Crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Sagar 20 Feb 2020

It's been a slow week. I've been reflecting on the importance of good grammar in climbing. Thus far I have come up with:

Capital Letters

"The problem with Stoney Middleton is all the polish"

- a common and reasonable complaint

"The problem with Stoney Middleton is all the Polish"

- this is simply not an acceptable thing to say in 2020, even if you did vote Leave

The Oxford Comma 

"Go in direct to the anchor, rethread, and lower off"

- Good practice for cleaning a route

"Go in direct to the anchor, rethread and lower off"

- at best you're going to be stuck, at worst you're going to die.

Garden Path Ambiguities

"The old man the crag"

- Unclear whether we are going to climb at the Old Man of Hoy today, or whether Stanage is being guarded by a phalanx of the elderly

Dangling Participles

"The woman belayed the man in the puffer jacket"

Is he going to tear some terrible holes in his expensive Rab, or is she simply keeping warm?

Affect vs. Effect

"The wet conditions affected the route"

And that's why I fell off at the crux!

"The wet conditions effected the route"

The sudden drop in temperature after the rain brought the icefall into condition

Altogether vs. All together

"Altogether the route was climbable"

despite the poor conditions and the seepage

"All together the route was climbable'

taking combined tactics to a whole new level 

Hordes vs. Hoardes

"There were hordes all over Tremadog"

a common problem at weekends

"There were hoards all over Tremadog"

- protected by a fierce Welsh dragon.

"A lot" vs "alot"

"I enjoyed that climb a lot"

- I bet you did, it looked great. 

"I enjoyed that climb alot"

your logbook makes pedantic snobs like me cry

Post edited at 13:05
In reply to Paul Sagar:

GEt, a, liFE..!)

OP Paul Sagar 20 Feb 2020
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

It's reading week; I was supped to go winter climbing, there is no winter...I HAVE NO LIFE!

Welsh Kate 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

I've got Reading Week next week, hoping to get blown off some Munros

But I've always wondered why when I work at a university in south Wales our teaching break is named after a town on the M4 corridor in England...

Post edited at 13:14
 Iamgregp 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

You've got a typo in your hordes paragraph dude...

Other than that I'm into this, I also have no life. 

McHeath 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

You forgot all the breaking devices we read about... 

tlouth7 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

I'm struggling to see the ambiguity that occurs if the oxford comma is missed?

> "Go in direct to the anchor, rethread and lower off"

> - at best you're going to be stuck, at worst you're going to die.

In reply to McHeath:

Haahaha that is particularly apt given my own recent inability to distinguish between

"An assisted braking device"

- useful when sport climbing

"An assisted breaking device"

- useful when torturing terrorists to find out where the bomb is hidden

In reply to Welsh Kate:

Very good!

In reply to tlouth7:

It's a bit tenuous, but if you remove the Oxford comma it could imply that you re-thread and lower off simultaneously, which as a general rule isn't a great idea.

Basemetal 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Grammar, the difference between

"Knowing your shit" and

"Knowing you're shit".

Andy Clarke 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

> It's reading week; I was supped to go winter climbing, there is no winter...I HAVE NO LIFE!

I presume this means you had enjoyed a hearty meal in preparation for heading to the Highlands. Nice coinage but I fear it may anger the traditionalists. 

henwardian 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

> "I enjoyed that climb alot"

> - your logbook makes pedantic snobs like me cry

Why cry? The alot is an amazing creature, it comes in so many flavors and so many people seem to enjoy talking to them.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-ev...

In reply to henwardian:

Ah, the alot! I had forgotten about that wondrous creature!

Joffy 20 Feb 2020
In reply to tlouth7:

Exactly, if you read the wiki on Oxford comma it states how both using it and not introduce ambiguity. The sentence should be phrased in a way in which it is clear.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma#Creating_ambiguity

Bobling 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar

My wife got this t-shirt for her birthday recently.

"Let's eat kids!
Let's eat, kids!
Punctuation saves lives."

Always gets some positive feedback : )

Dave Hewitt 20 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Good stuff. I once managed to sub into a Scotsman piece "sheath tossing" rather than the intended "sheaf tossing" - very embarrassing and I didn't sleep much that night when I realised (just after it had gone to press) what I'd done.

Also, a few years ago a very well-known outdoor writer (sorry, writer on the outdoors) wrote of experiencing "deja vous" - which I liked. He also used the concept of deja-vu wrongly, but then that's commonplace across an enormous proportion of the population.

In reply to Paul Sagar:

A minor point - but not so minor, given that you're being so didactic here - your dangling participle example is not a dangling participle. However much I look at it, I can't see the participle.

Dave Garnett 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

The Dawesian Comparison

”belaying” vs “f*cking belaying

Post edited at 07:25
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Bravo, I throughly enjoyed that. 

Michael Hood 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Our cats are called Dave and Javu, they're 11 & 10 and were kittens when those TV channels were popular (which helped "encourage" the name Javu).

Our previous vet said that cat owners had a better sense of humour (with respect to names) than dog owners.

Dave Hewitt 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Our cats are called Dave and Javu

That's good (although I had to look up Javu).

> Our previous vet said that cat owners had a better sense of humour (with respect to names) than dog owners.

Pretty sure that's right - there definitely seems to be more variety and inventiveness with cats' names as compared with dogs - although our cat is simply Jack (or often JC). I've known a couple of Schroedingers - which is pretty obvious - plus some mad names eg Grapefruit Lambada. Susan Calman has various female cats with names such as DCI Jane Tennison (which she insists on being used in full). You tend not to get dogs with names like that.

profitofdoom 21 Feb 2020

> Our previous vet said that cat owners had a better sense of humour (with respect to names) than dog owners.

Your vet is absolutely right, Michael. Our neighbor's dogs are called Dog 1 and Dog 2. Our cats are called Marie and Antoinette

OP Paul Sagar 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

God damn it, you're right. It's just a garden variety ambiguity caused by not clearly matching the subject with the intended predicate, isn't it?

In reply to Dave Garnett:

Who doesn't enjoy a soft top rope catch?!

In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Does giving cats funny names but not dogs reflect purely on the owners, or is it also about the different natures of the animals? Cats are more aloof and pompous (for which, I love them) and hence aloof and pompous names are more appropriate. Dogs are a bit more salt of the earth, slavishly loyal, and desperate to please (for which, I love them) - giving them silly names just feels a bit mean when all they want is your love.

Also, it's one thing to shout "here Rover!" in the park. Quite another to shout "here Grapefruit Lambda" or "to heel DCI Jane Tennison". Funny looks, etc.

Post edited at 10:45
 john arran 21 Feb 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

>  Our cats are called Marie and Antoinette

Are they, or did they used to be, Siamese?

steveriley 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

Watch me.

Watch ME!

Dave Hewitt 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

> Does giving cats funny names but not dogs reflect purely on the owners, or is it also about the different natures of the animals?

Probably a bit of both - cats have a reputation for being more eccentric and mind-of-their-own-ish than dogs, and there's probably also a correlation between there being a fairly high proportion of women "owning" cats and women also reading more novels (or watching TV equivalents) than do men, with names of book characters etc then being given to the cats. Calman also has one called Dr Abigail Bartlet, for instance.

> Also, it's one thing to shout "here Rover!" in the park. Quite another to shout "here Grapefruit Lambda" or "to heel DCI Jane Tennison". Funny looks, etc.

Not long after I moved to Glasgow in the mid-1980s, I was walking along my street when a bloke - slightly aggressively - started shouting "Davie! Davie!" I scarcely knew anyone in the area at that stage and I've always been David or Dave, but it still sounded like they were shouting at me - before I realised that Davie was a doberman

Incidentally, I'm just back in from driving across Stirling (semi-awash again) and saw a van that I've seen once before. It's a horse vet's van and the company is Neigh Bother - which is very good, but wouldn't work south of the border.

PS - I've seen mention of a hamster called Sir Edmund Hillary.

Post edited at 11:58
 HannahC 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

In the days before political correctness my parents named their cat “Enoch” apparently this is because Enoch Powell famously said to send all blacks home. The cat was black and if he wandered off they wanted him to get sent home.
To be clear their views were the only blacks  which should get sent home where lost cats not people. 

Although their previous cat was a male called Prudence so maybe Enoch isn’t so odd.

Putting this on a thread about grammar is somewhat worrying due my complete lack of ability on the subject. To be fair that is probably clear from the above.

Removed User 21 Feb 2020

> Our cats are called Dave and Javu, they're 11 & 10 and were kittens when those TV channels were popular (which helped "encourage" the name Javu).

I'm sure I've read that before.

overdrawnboy 21 Feb 2020
In reply to Paul Sagar:

It's important to me that Gramma doesn't find out I tempted Grampa to the crag when he should have been fixing her new en-suite.

Tom Valentine 21 Feb 2020
In reply to HannahC:

I once climbed with a bloke who claimed he'd called his dog Grieg because it used to pee agin t'suite.

Michael Hood 22 Feb 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> I'm sure I've read that before.

It appears that you're right, just did a search and I mentioned their names back in 2010. Give yourself a "good memory" award 🏆

Unless of course you too were sad enough to do a search - in which case I'll take that cup back thank you.

Post edited at 19:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...