UKC

The 'Indian Face' face profile on Cloggy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martin22 17 Dec 2018

In Johnny Dawes film Stone Monkey he mentions the Indian Chief  face profile on Cloggy, something about a headdress as well. 

Every time i look at a photo of Cloggy i try and see this profile he's on about but cant see it and it starting to annoy me now!

Googling doesnt help so can anyone post a picture up of cloggy with the profle highlighted? Or is Mr Dawes imagination way more wilder than mine?!

pasbury 17 Dec 2018
In reply to martin22:

I think it's seen when you look at the crag from near Llanberis, and probably only in certain conditions of light.

Tom Last 17 Dec 2018
In reply to martin22:

https://imgur.com/a/hhKwi8m

Pic fragment copyright Angus Kille

The Indian chief in head dress is seen in profile facing to the left, as below.

https://tinyurl.com/y8zzfuqe

Tom Valentine 17 Dec 2018
In reply to martin22:

Probably got it confused with Wimberry.

(If you ask someone in Greenfield where Wimberry Rocks are you might get a blank look in response; ask them where Indian's Head is and they'll point you straight to it.)

Bulls Crack 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Tom Last:

Hmm - sounds better than the Random Blob face Isuppose 

OP martin22 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Tom Last:

Thanks,  once its highlighted its much more obvious! I wasnt looking far enough out to the left or above the actual Indian Face wall 

Dan Arkle 17 Dec 2018
In reply to martin22:

In one interview JD mentions it is much more obvious in snowy condition

ripper 17 Dec 2018
In reply to martin22:

I saw it really clearly a couple of years ago - June 2016 I think. Three of us had been up to do Llithrig, we'd managed to drop a bit of gear, so stopped on the way back down the Llanberis path while one of us trotted back over to the crag to find it. It was while waiting, in the evening sun, that the 'face' suddenly became really obvious. James McHaffie was up there at the time - doing Face Mecca, iirc. Maybe the Indian was acknowledging him with a smile...

In reply to martin22:

I thought it was something more like this, actually, from the way Johnny once described it to me. With face to the left and surrounding the route much more tightly. (Apologies for v bad drawing ...) It would be helpful if Johnny came on here and told us

http://www.gordonstainforthbelper.co.uk/images/IndianFace.jpg

GDes 17 Dec 2018

Will modern precedent mean it's nane needs to be changed to the native American face? 

In reply to GDes:

Probably in the same piece of legislation that sees the renaming of Blacka Moor

Baron Weasel 17 Dec 2018
In reply to GDes:

> Will modern precedent mean it's nane needs to be changed to the native American face? 

A local brewery to me released a Red IPA recently - I think it would have been more PC to have called it First Nations Pale Ale.

In reply to Baron Weasel:

And what about Indian summers?  And will Richard Thompson need to rewrite that lovely song, A Heart Needs a Home?

Post edited at 16:19
 Dave Todd 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> It would be helpful if Johnny came on here and told us

It would be helpful if Johnny borrowed a paintbrush from John and went back up there and painted the actual thing...

Might take him a while, but it'd save us a lot of guesswork.

In reply to martin22:

...but it isn't an Indian. Perhaps this is a bit of history that needs to be pulled down, much like those Confederate statues.

Raskye 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Nah, just go for something more modern.... Bart Simpson anyone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...