UKC

The Pass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 09 Nov 2018

Its usual to reference the Llanberis Pass as 'the Pass' - when climbers talk of 'the Pass', that's the default place - usually no queries etc, though maybe some local variants (e.g. the Pass of Ballater).

Are there any others, where abbreviated terms, or indeed nicknames, are used and where the location is pretty much agreed? The Gorge?? The Slate?? etc etc

As you might surmise, a slow work day 

john arran 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

The Ben

Edit. And of course The Valley

Post edited at 11:55
OP Greenbanks 09 Nov 2018
In reply to john arran:

I suppose most Lakes crags are referred to solely by their definitive name 'Shepherds', 'Dow', 'Gimmer' etc

Hat Dude 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

The Gunks

Anti-faff 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

'Mecca' for Eston Nab.

GravitySucks 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

The Tor

In reply to GravitySucks:

See, I don't immediately connect with that (the 'Tor)...could be Raven, High, Mam etc

Binigo 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

the Orme

GridNorth 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

Can't believe no one has mentioned "The Peak" or is that too controversial

Al

GravitySucks 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

#therecanbeonlyone

climber34neil 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

The snor

The norries

In reply to Greenbanks:

The Culm

In reply to Binigo:

> the Orme

That works!!

GravitySucks 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

Let me correct that for you ...

'The Works'

Joak 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

The Gorms, The Coe and Meggie are three that immediately spring to mind. 

In reply to Joak:

Yes - there a a fair few with the real place name as the significant word; very few like 'the Pass' I'd suggest (nothing to do with the history, quality and variety of routes....) where a generic term has come to signify a particular location that all/most climbers identify with. It could, in that sense, be unique!

overdrawnboy 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

"The Crag" 

(Thats Almscliff to you)

RBonney 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

The cliff for Almscliff

john arran 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Yes - there a a fair few with the real place name as the significant word; very few like 'the Pass' I'd suggest (nothing to do with the history, quality and variety of routes....) where a generic term has come to signify a particular location that all/most climbers identify with. It could, in that sense, be unique!

Unique? In what way do you see The Pass as different to The Ben or The Valley or The Tor in this regard?

In reply to Greenbanks:

The Ben

The BIG Buachaille

The Norries

The Coe

In reply to Greenbanks:

Whilst there are many places known unequivocally by an abbreviation of nickname (there's no doubt where you mean if you talk about 'Pex', say), there are far fewer places agreed when you start with 'The . . . '.  The Ben, the 'Gorms, the Pass, the 'Coe, then it all tails off a bit.

T.

mrphilipoldham 09 Nov 2018
In reply to GridNorth:

The Peaks.

There, I said it!

cragtyke 09 Nov 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Behave!

The Downfall.

Darron 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

Route wise The Corner,The Gates, Dream. Probably lots more.

Darron 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

The County?

ripper 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

What about Cloggy? A derivative of Clogwyn, which (I believe) is Welsh for cliff - certainly there are many other Clogwyns but only one Cloggy.

In reply to Darron:

Kipling, CB (lots of Central Buttresses, but only one CB), LBJ (I think fairly universally used for Little Brown Jug?), and Great (ditto, for Great Slab on Cloggy) ?

In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Similarly, Bloody.  There are lots of bloody slabs but only one Bloody Slab (E3 5b).

T.

Removed User 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

Lest we forget there is 'Cliffe' for the mighty Holmfirth Edge.

Post edited at 16:16
 Darron 09 Nov 2018

tIn reply to Greenbanks:

Further afield the Peñón, The nose, the mount, the chief, the diamond, the hornli, The Walker.

wilkie14c 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

The Ruffs

Si dH 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Yes - there a a fair few with the real place name as the significant word; very few like 'the Pass' I'd suggest (nothing to do with the history, quality and variety of routes....) where a generic term has come to signify a particular location that all/most climbers identify with. It could, in that sense, be unique!

Yes agree , I think The Ben and The Tor pass the test but can't think of anywhere else. 

john arran 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Si dH:

The Cove

The Leap

The Gorge

Martin Bagshaw 09 Nov 2018
In reply to overdrawnboy:

Almscliff? Where's that?

Surely you mean here?: https://www.everyoneactive.com/centre/mid-suffolk-leisure-centre/climbingwa...

GrahamD 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

Not had the Leap or the Ruckle yet ?

Si dH 09 Nov 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

> Not had the Leap or the Ruckle yet ?

But are there any other leaps or ruckles?  If not surely they don't count.  The thing for me is that there are lots of passes,  Bens and tors, but if you say "The..." to a climber , they'll know which one you mean without asking.

Post edited at 20:56
 McHeath 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

The Foundry

AJM 09 Nov 2018
In reply to john arran:

> The Cove

Lulworth...? (Yes, I know you mean Malham really)

Webster 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

So where are these 'the tor' and 'the gorge'? not that unnequivocal!

most of these places are only unoquivocal to those fairly local or in the specific scene (i.e. anyone who climbs scottish winter will know which Ben is THE Ben, but away from winter climbers its a bit more ambiguous). 

overdrawnboy 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Martin Bagshaw:

Can heretics still be burnt?

aln 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

Dumby. 

kwoods 09 Nov 2018
In reply to Webster:

> most of these places are only unoquivocal to those fairly local or in the specific scene (i.e. anyone who climbs scottish winter will know which Ben is THE Ben, but away from winter climbers its a bit more ambiguous). 

Not wrong. The Glaswegians have the Lomond Ben, the Aberdonians, Rinnes. A few more here and there, too.

GrahamD 10 Nov 2018
In reply to Si dH:

Ruckle  I grant you but there are plenty of other leaps. Lovers leap at Brimham e.g. 

mbh 10 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

The hill in the middle of my town is called The Beacon. I run up it often. 25 miles away there's another, better known hill called St Agnes Beacon that I run up less often. When I recently did, I called my run on Strava 'The Other Beacon', because for me, that one is, and got the comment from someone slightly more local to that one than to mine 'No, this is THE Beacon. The other Beacon is the Other Beacon'.

pec 10 Nov 2018
In reply to Webster:

> So where are these 'the tor' and 'the gorge'? not that unnequivocal!

> most of these places are only unoquivocal to those fairly local or in the specific scene (i.e. anyone who climbs scottish winter will know which Ben is THE Ben, but away from winter climbers its a bit more ambiguous). 

Surely that could all be said about use of "The Pass" as well which is surely the whole point of the OP. Obviously "The Pass" won't mean much to non climbers but to those 'in the specific scene' as you put it, it is absolutely clear what it means.

Dave Garnett 10 Nov 2018
In reply to Webster:

> So where are these 'the tor' and 'the gorge'? not that unnequivocal!

The Gorge means Avon to most people, surely?

The Ledge means Fountain Ledge to any Table Mountain regular.

FactorXXX 10 Nov 2018
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> The Gorge means Avon to most people, surely?

Or Cheddar.
Certainly with Cheddar becoming more popular of late, then I wouldn't automatically associate 'The Gorge' with Avon.

Bulls Crack 10 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

Horseshit?

Cusco 10 Nov 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Is there any good climbing in the Peaks District?

Tom Last 10 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

The Chalk

mrphilipoldham 11 Nov 2018
In reply to Cusco:

Some of the best, though relatively little in the way of summit experience..

Webster 11 Nov 2018
In reply to FactorXXX:

exactly, is it Avon or Cheddar? or prehaps somewhere up north?

Dave Garnett 11 Nov 2018
In reply to Webster:

Well, when I lived between Bristol and Cheddar, and climbed at Avon and Cheddar, we generally called the Avon Gorge 'The Gorge' and we called Cheddar Gorge 'Cheddar'!  We rarely went up North, obviously.   

petegunn 11 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

Thwaite 

Tom Valentine 12 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

The Pits.

And I'm pretty sure we would arrange to meet up at "The Den".

justdoit 12 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

the cave.... 

Martin Hore 13 Nov 2018
In reply to Si dH:

> Yes agree , I think The Ben and The Tor pass the test but can't think of anywhere else. 

Yes. Seems to me the key thing here is that the second word could refer to lots of places but the addition of "The" narrows it to just one place in climbing lore. So "The Pass", "The Ben",  "The Corner" and "The Valley" are all valid. But "The Coe" doesn't pass the test (only one "Coe"). Neither, arguably, does "The Tor" (could be Raven or High - perhaps in different eras). 

Martin

Dewi Williams 13 Nov 2018
In reply to Greenbanks:

Living in Baildon, there is only one Glen and its not in Scotland, it is of course Shipley.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...