UKC

The Wall Within - Rockfall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Beaumont 22 Oct 2018

The Wall Within (7c) Hi, was wondering if anybody here knows if the relatively recent rockfalls in the lost world has affected 'The Wall Within'. Im really psyched to go and try it but afraid of coming across mangled bolts and slate avalanches on route.

Cheers!

James

Dan Arkle 22 Oct 2018
In reply to James Beaumont:

It's supposed to be unaffected. I'd be reluctant to climb somewhere so close after a big event like that. 

Also it's likely to be cold and dank down there at this time of year  

Northern Star 22 Oct 2018

I was there about two weekends ago.  The Wall Within looks mostly unaffected however part of the entrance to the tunnel at the very top of the route has collapsed.  The twin abseil bolts were still there inside the tunnel and looked good IMO but there is likely to be some loose debris just below the tunnel opening and possibly some loose stuff still up above the route.

Climbing this route is beyond my ability but if you are going to give it a go then I'd recommend abseiling the route first to check out the state of play and possibly remove any loose stuff that might be present.

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 25 Oct 2018
In reply to Northern Star:

I took the current crag shot a day or two after the most recent rockfall and the line seemed unaffected, as the rockfall was just to the left in the main. I only looked from the ground, and there may have been subsequent small rockfalls. So like Northern Star said, maybe abseil down/Top Rope it first as the climbing is very weird and hard to read on the insight, not to mention run out in places.

Red Rover 25 Oct 2018

I'd be careful, the route might be fine but if another rockfall comes down off the big walls to the left then the debris could easily roll across the floor of the pit and bury your belayer. Boulders from the second big rockfall (2015?) travelled all the way across the whole floor of the pit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...