UKC

Tintwistle Knarr de-vegeatation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cheque 21 May 2023

If you’ve ever been to Tintwistle Knarr then you probably didn’t get much done because it was wet and most of the routes had lots of plants growing out of them. Maybe you’ve never been because of its reputation for that. It’s a shame because there are loads of great routes there along with one of the nicest outlooks in the Peak.

Well as of right now it’s dried out for the year and I’ve spent the last week cleaning routes there-

Levi (E2 5b), Scimitar (HVS 5b), Poteen (E1 5b), Nil Carborundum Illigitimum (E3 5c), The ArĂȘte (E2 5c), The Little Spillikin (E3 6a), Kershaw's Krackers (E1 5c), Stiff Little Fingers (E1 5b) and Nosey Parker (E4 6a) are all spotless and most have had ascents today. 

The Old Triangle (HVS 5a) isn’t exactly clean but I’ve pulled lots and lots of mud and grass out of it on two separate visits and it should be OK to lead, particularly after a few more sunny days. I didn’t finish cleaning Sinn Fein (E3 5c) so that still has some grass in the cracks at the bottom. I gave O'Grady's Incurable Itch (E6 7a) a quick brush while cleaning The Little Spillikin but you might want to have a look at it yourself.

If you haven’t been for a while bear in mind that the parking described in all the guides is blocked off nowadays but there’s a huge lay-by a little way down the road towards Tintwistle.

Have fun!

Post edited at 22:38
 Rob Exile Ward 21 May 2023
In reply to cheque:

Good effort! Last time I went was 50 years ago - just got to find a partner interested in going back...

Offwidth 21 May 2023
In reply to cheque:

Sterling effort Mike.

Derek Furze 22 May 2023
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Always interested in Tintwhistle.  Shout if you fancy the drive down.

In reply to cheque:

You are doing a great job at Tintwistle, many thanks for all the hard work.

In reply to cheque:

I've been meaning to go for years, I'm going to try and get up there soon.

steveriley 22 May 2023
In reply to cheque:

Superb. At the risk of looking a clean route gift horse in the mouth, any comment on the state of the bouldering? 

OP cheque 22 May 2023
In reply to steveriley:

I’ve no idea about the bouldering Steve.

steveriley 22 May 2023
In reply to cheque:

Thanks, consider the gift horse examined and a nod of appreciation given.

petesdavies 23 May 2023
In reply to cheque:

Just back from a great evening there. Awesome effort cleaning all those routes. Thanks!

petesdavies 29 May 2023
In reply to cheque:

Guns and Drums (E4 6a) is also now clean.

PaulJepson 30 May 2023
In reply to cheque:

Went yesterday and climbed Scimitar (HVS 5b)Kershaw's Krackers (E1 5c)The Old Triangle (HVS 5a) and The ArĂȘte (E2 5c).

Can confirm that a lot of effort has gone into getting the routes clean and 3 of them were great. I did not enjoy The Old Triangle; that one can get in the sea!

The Arete deserves its classic status and I thought Scimitar as good if not better than the much-lauded pair of HVSs at Shining Clough across the road. It should really be on the radar of anyone climbing that grade and it's a shame it's had such little traffic!

Approach was long and all very uphill but not too steep and not that bad. 

Post edited at 13:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...