UKC

Top roping from single sling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yoshi.h 17 Apr 2018

I saw that BMC have a video showing how to set up a top rope anchor for Southern Sandstone. It shows the instructor using a single sling attached to a screwgate carabiner, noting that redundancy is provided by the anchor bolt connected to a second bolt by a wire.

Is it common to use a single sling as an anchor or do people tend to use two slings or equivalent for redundancy? Doesn't make sense to me to say redundancy is provided by the bolt, as if the sling fails the system fails, which seems more likely than an anchor bolt failing.

Thanks in advance.

Dell 17 Apr 2018
In reply to mouseliveson:

It's common, climbing slings are designed to take a fall from a leader (via the rope)  
When top roping, the falls are so small that the sling is never pushed anywhere near to it's limit.

Obviously inspect the sling beforehand, and don't use one that's quite a few years old. 

Dan Arkle 17 Apr 2018

Slings don't fail, unless cut over an edge. I often toprope on a single sling.

A second sling would provide greater redundancy against screwing up however.

GrahamD 17 Apr 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> A second sling would provide greater redundancy against screwing up however.

Not really.  Add-ons more steps and complication is more likely to result in mistakes.  KISS and all that

Michael Gordon 17 Apr 2018
In reply to Dan Arkle:

How does one screw up placing a sling?

elsewhere 17 Apr 2018
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> How does one screw up placing a sling?

You can be sure somebody will have found a way to do that and all sorts of other implausible mistakes.

Blue Straggler 17 Apr 2018

> Is it common to use a single sling as an anchor or do people tend to use two slings or equivalent for redundancy?

It is very common. The sling is not the anchor. The sling is used to equalise a number of anchor points.
e.g. you place three nuts appropriately, put a karabiner on each of them, put a sling through the three and bring it to a "pinch point" perhaps via an overhand knot. The sling is now acting like three sling (call them "loop A", "loop B" and "loop C"). If somehow some part of the sling fabric in loop A fails and snaps, loop B and loop C provide redundancy. 
This is a common diagram in instruction books. 
e.g.
http://rockandice.com/wp-content/uploads/Article-Images/News-Photos/Feb-201... 

In reply to Michael Gordon:

> How does one screw up placing a sling?

You might run it over a sharp edge

In reply to harold walmsley:

Yes, I have usually doubled up everything, i.e., two equalised slings and two karabiners for the running rope, partly for the redundancy (which is extremely unlikely to ever be needed) but also to reduce the stress and wear on the slings, carabiners and rope (which always happens)

jimtitt 18 Apr 2018

The sling as well as the karabiner, rope, harness etc is PPE thus the history and use is known and it is regularly inspected and replaced as nescessary. Redundancy is unescessary and unusual.

The bolts are of unknown age (to the user), condition since you can´t see down the hole and rock is a constantly changing medium of unknown quality. Redundancy may be desirable and in a commercial environment more so.

PaulW 18 Apr 2018

You climb on one rope without considering redundancy, seems much the same concept as using a single sling

deepsoup 18 Apr 2018

> You might run it over a sharp edge

On Southern Sandstone?  That would be um..  unlucky.

profitofdoom 18 Apr 2018

> You might run it over a sharp edge

Or place it on a spike without enough room behind it, so rope movements while toproping cause it to come off

trouserburp 18 Apr 2018

It's normal on Southern Sandstone because it would be unimaginable for a normal sling to fail. Up to you though

A bolt pulling out of soft sandstone - unlikely but plausible and might be BMC or Bowles having to defend the decision

In reply to John Stainforth:

> Yes, I have usually doubled up everything, i.e., two equalised slings and two karabiners for the running rope, partly for the redundancy (which is extremely unlikely to ever be needed) but also to reduce the stress and wear on the slings, carabiners and rope (which always happens)

You wear two harnesses then?

Post edited at 11:54
 Brown 19 Apr 2018

I always enjoyed watching people who had spent too much time following instructions and not thinking arranging multiple point belays at High Rocks on multiple large pine trees.

I don't know what they thought the braking point of a 3ft wide pine tree was.

OP yoshi.h 19 Apr 2018

Thanks all for the opinions.

On the topic of slings, in the context I have described are there any issues connecting two or more slings via girth hitch to extend the length? If not what is the best practice to connect two or more slings?

Rob892 19 Apr 2018

Not really your question, but if you are going to be climbing on sandstone regularly a 5-10m length of 10mm static rope will come in handy for setting up top rope anchors.

In debates I've seen before the conclusion was that, while girth hitch/larks foot greatly reduces the strength of the sling (50% I believe), a sling is so strong it doesn't matter in most cases.

However if it worries you joining with a Krab or looping the sling to half length are options.

OP yoshi.h 19 Apr 2018
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Yes I saw similar figures on the DMM website testing exactly that, but was wondering in practice if it makes any difference in the real world. It'd be interesting to know if any sling connected with a girth hitch has ever failed under sensible practice during top roping...

Static rope is great, so may get some for future sessions but always helps to make do with what I have already...

Removed User 19 Apr 2018

why not arrange for a bouncy castle if toproping is so alarming

Slarti B 19 Apr 2018
In reply to Brown:

> I don't know what they thought the braking point of a 3ft wide pine tree was.

Depends how fast the pine was going before it stepped on the brakes 

> Yes I saw similar figures on the DMM website testing exactly that, but was wondering in practice if it makes any difference in the real world. It'd be interesting to know if any sling connected with a girth hitch has ever failed under sensible practice during top roping...

> Static rope is great, so may get some for future sessions but always helps to make do with what I have already...

Well it's not likely to as the strength is reduced from 2000kg down to 1000kg.

leland stamper 20 Apr 2018
In reply to Slarti B:

Does anyone have data on perception/reaction time for a pine tree? I think we should consider overall stopping distance.

Dogwatch 20 Apr 2018
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Or place it on a spike without enough room behind it, so rope movements while toproping cause it to come off

Not so many spikes to be found on Southern Sandstone. Anchors are bolts or trees.

Offwidth 20 Apr 2018
In reply to Brown:

I'd guess the breaking point of a tree might be at the knots

I also find it bizarre that people think a big pine on flat ground  isn't enough to be a safe belay on its own..

GrahamD 20 Apr 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

Or indeed that if 20 tonnes of tree does fall off the edge, their back up is going to be any use to stop it !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...