UKC

Top roping on sports climbs - use your own gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FBSF 14 May 2023

Its been said before but its worth repeating, if your going to go up and down on a top rope on a sports climb can you use your own quickdraws/gear not the in-situ gear at the belay and then last up strips and lowers down on the insitu gear. A lot of peak district climbs (and other areas) get a lot of hammer and it just gives the insitu gear the longest life possible. 

Just saw some examples yesterday and you enjoying climbing that sport route all comes from the route developers pocket or donations and  volunteers re-equipping those routes, just try to preserve the metalwork as much as possible. 

Post edited at 08:48
 Arty 14 May 2023
In reply to FBSF:

I climbed with someone recently and was advising them that this is best practice but when i tried to search for an article to back up my opinion i struggled. Sure there was a BMC article on it once in the mag.

timparkin 14 May 2023
In reply to Arty:

> I climbed with someone recently and was advising them that this is best practice but when i tried to search for an article to back up my opinion i struggled. Sure there was a BMC article on it once in the mag.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/avoiding-wear-on-bolted-loweroffs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...