UKC

Trad tech grade

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GStone 20 Mar 2021

Why can’t I find a description of UK trad tech grades? I have gradually built up my own based on experience, for example 5c could be finger cracks, but how would one know what to expect on a route with a certain tech grade?

henwardian 20 Mar 2021
In reply to GStone:

Because there isn't a definition. There is only a consensus (or a grade given in the first ascensionist's opinion). This is pretty common in sport, compare to say skiing where there is no definition given for a green, blue, red or black run grade, but if you ski, you know what those slopes should feel like.

Finger cracks are one specific type of climb/move. The type of move/route isn't really related to technical grade, you can have 4c or 5a finger cracks but also 6c or 7a finger cracks.

john arran 20 Mar 2021
In reply to GStone:

The tech grade says nothing about the nature of the climbing, only it's physical difficulty, and then only relates to how hard the hardest move or sequence is. The difficulty of a 5c could equally be found on an unprotected slab as on a well-protected crack, but of course in the former case, the Adjectival (E) grade would be very much higher.

Edit: typo

Post edited at 08:56
 C Witter 20 Mar 2021
In reply to GStone:

>  how would one know what to expect on a route with a certain tech grade?

...by reading the guidebook and studying the route from below?

Dave Garnett 20 Mar 2021
In reply to GStone:

> Why can’t I find a description of UK trad tech grades? I have gradually built up my own based on experience, for example 5c could be finger cracks, but how would one know what to expect on a route with a certain tech grade?

5c is the grade a 5c climber can just about manage but which is too hard for a 5b climber. 

C Witter 20 Mar 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I'm not sure... I'd say 5c was the grade a 5c climber can manage comfortably but a 5b climber can only scrape through. Or, to put it another way, roughly Allan Austin grit 5a...

Tom Valentine 20 Mar 2021
In reply to GStone:

Someone once published a rule of thumb guide  to fingerhold size which was obviously very controversial but it ran along the lines of 

5b holds- edge of audio cassette  box

6a holds - edge of CD box.

Those aren't real examples and, as I say, massively open to argument and it would need some different artefacts which were actually familiar to anyone under the age of fifty.

Post edited at 10:25
 Osiris 20 Mar 2021
In reply to GStone:

5b - you've got this, stay cool.

5c - oh Jesus, oh god, help me!

6a - f*ck, f*ck, falling!

6b - how do you even start that?

Post edited at 11:10
 Michael Gordon 20 Mar 2021
In reply to GStone:

Climbing grades are not like walking grades where you can read a definition about roughness/steepness of ground and length of walk. With tech grades you have to do a particular move of that grade to find out how it feels to you.

OP GStone 20 Mar 2021
In reply to C Witter:

I think I like this definition! 

OP GStone 20 Mar 2021

From the lack of results Googling the answers here are pretty much what I thought. It’s all a bit subjective though - thin finger cracks or CD case holds might be hard for one person but easy for another. 

deacondeacon 20 Mar 2021
In reply to Osiris:

> 6b - how do you even start that? 

6b - I can take one foot off the floor but not both at the same time 🙂

Alkis 20 Mar 2021
In reply to Osiris:

To add some rocktype variation to that:

Slate tech 6b: Yay, cool techy climbing

Grit tech 6b: How the actual f***?!

alan moore 20 Mar 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Someone once published a rule of thumb guide  to fingerhold size which was obviously very controversial but it ran along the lines of 

> 5b holds- edge of audio cassette  box

> 6a holds - edge of CD

That was David Jones in his fantastic photo-book Rock Climbing in Britain.

I thought it was a good attempt at describing what tech grade might mean, but like you said, quickly becomes a nonsense when you apply it to real rock.

Tom Valentine 20 Mar 2021
In reply to alan moore:

Can you remember the details? I just had cassette  box in mind but a beer mat might have been in there......

Darron 20 Mar 2021
In reply to alan moore:

Actually he just uses the cassette analogy:

5b holds size cassette box edge

5c/6a edge of cassette 

6b/6b cassette tape width.

No wonder I can’t do 6b moves😊

Rakim 20 Mar 2021

The hard bit with the tech grade as my mate says:

”it’s only 5c if you can find the 5c sequence. I was solid 6a every move up there “

Sputnick 20 Mar 2021
In reply to GStone:

In a former life, I graded moves , while practicing for the head point.

6b smear once trusted to. Never let you down

6c smear. Similar but takes longer to build that trust.

7a smear. Never sure why it stuck but it did

The Pylon King 20 Mar 2021
In reply to alan moore:

> That was David Jones in his fantastic photo-book Rock Climbing in Britain.

With the awful super posed/cutting loose pictures?

Jon Stewart 20 Mar 2021
In reply to GStone:

> Why can’t I find a description of UK trad tech grades? I have gradually built up my own based on experience, for example 5c could be finger cracks, but how would one know what to expect on a route with a certain tech grade?

What would the sort of description your after look like? 

The grade is a measure of difficulty. So all 5c means is "a bit harder than 5b" where 5b means "a bit harder than 5a".

There really isn't any more to it than that. 

alan moore 20 Mar 2021
In reply to The Pylon King:

> With the awful super posed/cutting loose pictures?

Thats the one. Every day sunny; every crag dry. The way life should be.

Blanche DuBois 21 Mar 2021
In reply to C Witter:

> >  how would one know what to expect on a route with a certain tech grade?

> ...by reading the guidebook and studying the route from below?

Shame that such condescending replies get likes.

In reply to GStone:

So, by now you should have gathered that the tech grade applies across all rock types and climbing styles so aren’t directly related to particular moves. 
When I started climbing, novices got introduced to everything by more experienced people so you learned what to look for, how to assess stuff and how to climb. If you haven’t got access to this, then joining a local club can do this task and you may get access to a club hut somewhere nice.

Otherwise, most of the clues you need are in the guidebook, route description and the adjectival grading in combination with the tech grading. Also a feel for specific crags, for example while it’s only separated by a few metres, climbing on Curbar is a very different experience to Froggatt, and hugely different to Baslow.

Hope this helps.

paul

Lankyman 21 Mar 2021
In reply to Blanche DuBois:

> Shame that such condescending replies get likes.

Shame that so many people are looking to be offended by a remark that can be taken in several ways. I thought it was a statement of the bleedin' obvious myself with a slightly humourous quality but if you're looking for other aspects that's up to you.

DaveHK 21 Mar 2021
In reply to GStone:

> It’s all a bit subjective though - 

How do you feel about Marmite?  

Post edited at 09:04
 dinodinosaur 21 Mar 2021
In reply to Osiris:

According to Ben Moon (I think?)

6c - not that hard anymore

6b - Approaching a rest

Also I've heard people say 6a is the grade at which you can climb anywhere on high tor 

john arran 21 Mar 2021
In reply to dinodinosaur:

> Also I've heard people say 6a is the grade at which you can climb anywhere on high tor 

which, of course, explains why Bastille gets 6b

In reply to GStone:

> From the lack of results Googling the answers here are pretty much what I thought. It’s all a bit subjective though - thin finger cracks or CD case holds might be hard for one person but easy for another. 

I’m not really sure what you mean here, or what else you expected. Obviously the same move will feel harder for one person than another. A 5b move will feel harder for a 4a climber than it will for a 6c climber.

Likewise someone who only ever climbs slabs would find themselves dropping a couple of grades on roof climbs. 

dinodinosaur 21 Mar 2021
In reply to john arran:

Naturally!

I didn't say I agreed with it or our "broken above E3" grading system though :') but that's probably another ukc thread 

C Witter 22 Mar 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks Lankyman. You saved me having to think up a condescending reply to BdB

GrahamD 22 Mar 2021
In reply to GStone:

I think UK technical grades are much the same as any other grading system for climbing, scrambling and mountaineering in so much that they cannot be measured in absolute terms but have to be used as a comparison with other routes of the grade.  So as far as I can see, the only way to appreciate what a grade means is to do a variety of routes or moves at a given grade and see how hard that grade feels to you.

Because grades span a variety of rock types and styles, it takes a while to gain the experience to make a 'fair's assessment of difficulty and, in practice,  guidebook grades are a consensus gained from many climbers' input. 

In reply to Blanche DuBois:

I'd say reading the guide book and looking at the route from below is about the best possible way to work out what to expect when you pull on. It's an essential skill of any apprenticeship.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...