UKC

Trevor Hodgson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I've just found out that Trevor Hodgson died last year. Perhaps everyone knew but me, but there doesn't seem to have been a thread. I didn't know him, but to anyone who started climbing in the 1980's when I did, Paul Williams' Llanberis guide introducing slate (and lycra) to the masses was an inspiration, and nobody was in more of the pictures or wearing tighter lycra than TH. By all accounts he was an Al Harris type - a fine climber who could have made a bigger name than he did but didn't care enough to do so, but a huge contributor nonetheless through energy and personality. One of those who was more important than the official histories might record and deserves to be remembered.

A typically beautifully written piece from someone far better qualified than me to comment.

https://footlesscrow.blogspot.com/2020/06/the-final-pitch.html

jcm

Sherlock 26 Jul 2021
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Yes,I saw that piece at the time. Tom Jones from that era now gone as well.

Lankyman 26 Jul 2021
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

It's always a reminder of our own fragility. Back in those days, when we were the kings of immortality, I lived in Cumbria for a few years. When I moved away I lost contact with one of my climbing partners who moved on to get better than I ever was. Last year I looked online to see what he was up to and found his obituary from 2016. John had died of a rare condition. He was the same age as me. It's so sad.

Gary Gibson 29 Jul 2021
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: I had the joy of climbing with Trevor in the late 70s, early 80s: I did Fingerlicker, Vulcan, Zuckator, Silly Arete  at Trematodac and Right Wall with him: a great bloke and sound companion at the time: a sad loss to the world and climbing community..he was living in Llanberis at the time.

Post edited at 15:26

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...