UKC

Trig points near cliffs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 10 Feb 2018

Apologies if this should really be in the hillwalking / destinations section.

With the current soggy weather, I've taken to wandering up to trig points when I can't climb, but was wondering, what trig points are there that are on top of / near cliffs?

Cheers

Frank

Bulls Crack 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

High Neb for starters 

Dave Hewitt 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

The Waterstein Head and (especially) Biod an Athair trigs on Skye are pretty impressive. Picture of the latter here:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/739221

Bulls Crack 10 Feb 2018
 jk25002 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

welcome to trigpointing!!  -> http://trigpointing.uk/

Full database of trigs on there. The android app is excellent, giving access to 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 OS maps for the whole UK (provided you have network connection).

OP Frankie boy 10 Feb 2018
In reply to jk25002:

Thanks for that. I already have the splendid trigpointing app, but as I've only really just started logging them, I was wondering if there was any trigs that I may have inadvertently passed whilst out climbing, (in the days before I started taking notice of them).

I have to say, I'm a climber through and through, but I have found that trig points are about the only thing that can motivate me to go for a walk when the weather is too bad to climb.

A few of the trigs in the Peak I have already inadvertently done, Stanage Neb, Stanage Pole, the one on top of Birchen etc, but am sure there's many I've missed, also many that I could combine with future climbing trips.

MG 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

Ben Nevis, famously.

deepsoup 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

If you're Peak based, there's one about a mile NW of Alport Castles. 
(Which is a huge tottering pile of choss - not a place to climb, but interesting to visit at least once.)

Not the best suggestion for soggy weather though, probably.  The poorly defined path that goes there from Alport Castles is a bit gooey at the best of times.

In reply to Frankie boy:

There's one at Mynydd Marian, about 50m back from the top of the route of the same name at Castle Inn Quarry and another at the top of Cefn yr Ogof, above Llanddulas Cave

Holyhead mountain and both the Ormes have TPs.

Post edited at 21:43
 Offwidth 11 Feb 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

Alport Castles are reputably good fun in very cold winter contions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...