UKC

Ulvik 40 years on

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Phizzers 06 Sep 2017
Today is 40 years since the first Crags trip to Ulvik.
All the best to Al, Alex, Loony, Pete, Eddie, Geoff, Loris and all the rest of the lads.
Sorry Tom isn't still with us,
Cheers, Al.
 Dave Garnett 06 Sep 2017
In reply to Phizzers:

I remember the article and being inspired by it. Ironically I've climbed in a lot of interesting places in those 40 years, but not Ulvik.

Not yet, anyway.
 Al Evans 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Phizzers:

Thanks Al, good memories.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 Sep 2017
In reply to Phizzers:

About 10 years ago I drove through 'Ulvik' expecting to revisit your glory days (I read the mags at the time) but there were no soaring cliffs - I wonder if it is quite a common name over there?

Chris
Phizzers 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Chris Craggs:

No crags in Ulvik itself, you have to travel to the 2 adjacent fjords to find rock, the south facing crags opposite Eidfjord being particularly fine, with quick drying slabs.
There's nothing like the fabled Troll walls anywhere near, the steep walls tend to be short (if you decide that 1000' is short by Norwegian standards!)
Cheers
 Sayon 11 Sep 2017
In reply to Phizzers:
Hi Al,
I wasn't on the original trip, but remember our trip there a couple of years later with Roger Grimshaw; endless slabs on amazing rock, and the first ascent we did on "big daddy"- I wonder if that place has been developed yet? I bump into your cousin Dave regularly, who lives round the corner from me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...