UKC

US shutdown again!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2018

A heads-up that this can affect entry in to National Parks.... at least its not peak climbing time for UK visitors.

It's hard to believe a party with both houses and the President could have got themselves in such a mess, but of course its the opoositions fault!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/20/with-government-shutdown-re...

springfall2008 20 Jan 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

I still don't understand why you would shut national parks, just leave them to be free for all if there is no staff?!

jimtitt 20 Jan 2018
In reply to springfall2008:

> I still don't understand why you would shut national parks, just leave them to be free for all if there is no staff?!

Because the NPS has to control visitor numbers and their activities in order to preserve the parks/limit visitor impact. Open parks and no rangers=10,000 gun-toting nutters killing all the animals.

springfall2008 20 Jan 2018
In reply to jimtitt:

> Because the NPS has to control visitor numbers and their activities in order to preserve the parks/limit visitor impact. Open parks and no rangers=10,000 gun-toting nutters killing all the animals.

Really, we seem to manage okay in the UK without park rangers!

jon 20 Jan 2018

We're not American.

jimtitt 20 Jan 2018

Clearly you have no idea about the federal system and the national parks in the USA.

Try imagining what would happen if you removed the gun laws in the UK, started selling them in Tesco´s to anyone with a driving license, disbanded the police force and put a herd of 20,000 bison in the Peak National Park.

jagster 20 Jan 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

Maybe im naive but just because they close them down, What's to stop me from walking around the main gates and going climbing anyway. Whos there to stop me?

jimtitt 20 Jan 2018
In reply to jagster:

Mostly nothing except it´s usually a very long walk! However in contrast to the Obama government shutdown when he ordered them to close and the roads/entrances were barricaded it actually appears that most parks will stay open with only essential services provided, i.e for Yosemite there won´t be anyone collecting money when you drive in and no ranger guided walks but the medical centre and rescue guys will be on duty. The actuall shutdown is for"non-essential services".

springfall2008 21 Jan 2018
In reply to jimtitt:

> Mostly nothing except it´s usually a very long walk! However in contrast to the Obama government shutdown when he ordered them to close and the roads/entrances were barricaded it actually appears that most parks will stay open with only essential services provided, i.e for Yosemite there won´t be anyone collecting money when you drive in and no ranger guided walks but the medical centre and rescue guys will be on duty. The actuall shutdown is for"non-essential services".

That sounds much more sensible.

timjones 21 Jan 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> A heads-up that this can affect entry in to National Parks.... at least its not peak climbing time for UK visitors.

> It's hard to believe a party with both houses and the President could have got themselves in such a mess, but of course its the opoositions fault!

I just find it hard to believe that both parties manage to walk into this mess time after time.

If entire nation had any sense then they would surely have a contingency fund ti prevent this situation?

mal_meech 21 Jan 2018
In reply to jagster:

Last time this happened there was a national guard helicopter flying over Redrocks to ensure no one was trespassing in the park... I thought then it must have been cheaper to pay for the few park rangers than a helicopter & crew... obviously a different budget.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...