UKC

Very sad news About Andy Pollitt - RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lankyman 12 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

Very very sad and such a shock given his recent postings and interviews on here and elsewhere. A real icon of the days when my own climbing was on the up. Goodbye, Andy.

In reply to john arran:

That's terrible terrible news .

I didn't know him personally but did exchange a few messages with him over the years and he was always lovely.

neilh 12 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

Unbelievable. Very sad. Iconic.

Clauso 12 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

AP Melbourne, of this parish... RIP.

Andy Johnson 12 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

There's an (audio/video) interview with him on UK Hillwalking at https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/andy_pollitt_-_podcast_inter...

RIP AP Melbourne

Post edited at 10:42
 Iamgregp 12 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

What sad news, legendary figure.

Yanis Nayu 12 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

What a shame. Condolences to family and friends. RIP. 

steveb2006 12 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

Oh no. Sad and shocking. Really enjoyed his book and recent exosure here. He leaves quite a legacy.

RIP

Pete O'Donovan 12 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

Heartbreaking. RIP Andy.

BALD EAGLE 12 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

Desperately sad news so deepest condolences to all of Andy's friends, family and loved ones.

Post edited at 11:01
 Michael Hood 12 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

Shocked

Only ever conversed with him via UKC, but always so open and friendly RIP

Calvi 12 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

That is so sad, I first met him in '87, never a dull moment.

Dave Garnett 12 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

That's shocking news.  I didn't know him well but I first met him when he was already a star in the early 80s when I gave him lift back into Sheffield from Stony Middleton.  He was a brooding, and almost legendary, presence when I climbed at Arapiles during his long Punks in the Gym campaign.

The climbing world, and UKC, will be just a bit less interesting without him. 

Post edited at 11:10
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Much the same experience here Dave.

I met him back in the 80s when he was working in Blacks in Sheffield. I was a star-struck young whippersnapper and he was a brooding rock star (who was probably also just a young whippersnapper at heart). Didn't really meet much then until he got in touch a few years ago about his autobiography since he wanted to use my cartoon from the early 90s. He was incredibly friendly and appreciative. I think the UKC community had become an important anchor to his earlier life for him. He conceived and delivered that excellent series of interview articles for us which you can see linked to here - https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/profile.php?id=141526 . I see he even posted 8 days ago when he must have been extremely ill.

RIP Andy, a legend of British climbing.

Alan

AlanLittle 12 Nov 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

What a shock. Same age as my kid brother. 

> I didn't know him well but I first met him when he was already a star in the early 80s when I gave him lift back into Sheffield from Stony Middleton. 

My mate & I gave gave Andy & Basher Atkinson a lift from Pen y Pass to Tremadog. We did our first E2 that day; they were trying Strawberries.

Ecce Homer 13 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

Desperately sad news. One of the few people I genuinely got on with on this site. I remember many chats in the middle of the night when I should have been working. We can console ourselves that though far too short, it was a life well lived.

RIP AP Melbourne - the original punk in the gym.

Greenbanks 13 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

Awfully sad. Well out of my league, but one of the super-heroes of the period. A magnificent legacy.

pasbury 13 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

RIP; total leg end. Rebel, doley, sexy beast.

F*cking good climber too.

Karl Bromelow 13 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

I can't claim to have known Andy. We had a few brief chats through the ether around the time of his book coming out and via the Victorian Chockstone forum regarding his interviews. He was always charming and friendly. When I started climbing in the 80's, he was as close to a rockstar as anyone on the scene. Even looked like he should have been on the back cover of Ummagumma. His recent contributions on UKC and here in Australia have been an absolute pleasure to read and watch. I heard the news through Caff's instagram post and it brought a tear to my eye. Love to all who cared for him. And thanks to Andy for enriching our lives and inspiring us. Karl

Nicole Kerr 15 Nov 2019
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Hi Alan

I'm Andy's ex Nicole. Did he mention he was ill 8 days prior to his passing? Could you please direct me to his last post on here please.

Andy & I stayed extremely close even after we broke all those years ago & txt & chatted all the time. We had a deal that he would always contact me if he was feeling ill in anyway.

Am just curious about this 8 days prior to his passing.

I would be ever so grateful.

As you would be, I am totally gutted by his passing & miss my best friend so much. Andy helped raise my eldest son Arty for well over 4 yrs. Obviously Arty & I will be at the Funeral & Wake to honor an amazing man, love of my life, best friend & also the only true father that Arty had. Andy was just the kindest most gentle soul I have ever know. He will be missed so much.

RIP Andy. Your little Shadow is waiting for you.

Thanks Ian

LastBoyScout 15 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

Very sad.

I had a poster of him climbing something at Arapiles at sunset on my bedroom wall when I started climbing - pretty sure it was the centerspread from High magazine one month. Might still have it somewhere in the loft.

Ecce Homer 15 Nov 2019
In reply to Nicole Kerr:

My deepest sympathies for your loss, he was an amazing man. If it’s any consolation, know that you shared love and time together.

I believe Andy suffered a cerebral aneurysm, so it was likely to have been relatively quick and likely without warning.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2019/11/andy_pollitt_dies_aged_56-72126

Post edited at 14:04
 JLS 15 Nov 2019
In reply to Nicole Kerr:

Hi Nicole

Sorry for the delay in replying. The post is here https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rocktalk/soloing_literary_sources-711889?...

Alan

Bobling 16 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

So sad.  I spent last Christmas reading Punks in the Gym.  Massive condolences and sympathy to all friends and family from a fellow Australiaphile.

Baron Weasel 19 Nov 2019

Rest in peace dude x

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...