UKC

Vivian Quarry DWS - short film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peter.herd 28 Jun 2020

Andy has been climbing on The Prow in Vivian Quarry and Ive been hanging out taking some film. I talked to him about the place, his motivations to climb there and his experiences.

Its a mellow kinda film - intentionally so - an attempt to reflect the nature of the place and Andys interaction with it. 

Its a dreich day, so fill a big mug and coorie in to watch on a proper screen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WocYpkifxao&feature=youtu.be

Pete

Harry Ellis 28 Jun 2020
In reply to peter.herd:

Nice Pete, enjoyed that. Good use of Aphex Twin but surely Analogue Bubblebath would have been more appropriate!

Hope you're well and can enjoy a bit more freedom soon

OP peter.herd 28 Jun 2020
In reply to Harry Ellis:

Glad you enjoyed it Harry. Needed sound space for the bird song.. love that tune though i do. 

Pete 

Rigid Raider 28 Jun 2020
In reply to peter.herd:

Loved that video, beautiful framing and scenery, appropriate music, and above all a climber at the top of his game; smooth, controlled and stylish. Thank you!

OP peter.herd 28 Jun 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Thanks, I'm really glad it chimed with you.

It was great to hang out there with Andy and see him silk his way up that wall. 

Pete

Post edited at 19:25
 john arran 28 Jun 2020
In reply to peter.herd:

The opening reflection sequence is simply beautiful.

OP peter.herd 29 Jun 2020
In reply to john arran:

Glad you enjoyed it John, thanks. Its a real gem of a place. 

MarkH55 29 Jun 2020
In reply to peter.herd:

Really nice, Pete.  Thanks for posting it

shantaram 29 Jun 2020
In reply to peter.herd: Great film. Enjoyed that. Did Andy consider disturbing the surface of the water before his solos to lessen the impact if he fell? (Although he does look 110% in control)

I did Nicky’s leap years ago and I wouldn’t have considered it without a few rocks being thrown into the pool first. 

Ramon Marin 29 Jun 2020
In reply to peter.herd:

Fantastic! That water looked terrifyingly still

OP peter.herd 29 Jun 2020

Thanks Mark, Shantaram. Its a pleasure to hear people enjoying it.

Regarding the surface tension thing - Andy and I chatted a little about that.  As far as I can gather, the effect of ruffling the surface or 'breaking' the tension is negligible in mitigating the impact forces experienced from a big fall like Nicky's Leap( ~40mph?).

I think its possible to soften the blow with super bubbly water like in pro diving. I recall a conversation about a film team employing divers to feed bubbles in the the Vivian pool, possibly to the same effect.

Pete 

Rob Parsons 29 Jun 2020
In reply to shantaram:

> Great film. Enjoyed that. Did Andy consider disturbing the surface of the water before his solos to lessen the impact if he fell? (Although he does look 110% in control)

> I did Nicky’s leap years ago and I wouldn’t have considered it without a few rocks being thrown into the pool first. 

I can understand that having the water surface disturbed will help to visualize exactly how far away that surface is (and so could help with the entry to the water in that way), but I find it hard to believe that it would in any material way lessen the impact: you would need a lot of bubbles in the water to make a significant change to its density.

In reply to peter.herd:

Great effort on the film! I loved the opening sequence and the climbing sequences but the best bit was hearing the birds singing.  Well done! 

OP peter.herd 01 Jul 2020
In reply to Kipper-Phil Smith:

Thanks. Really pleased you enjoyed it. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...