UKC

Washing machine leg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alex_th 02 May 2023

What are the other names for the phenomenon which was known in my earlier climbing circles as "washing machine leg"?

Jon Read 02 May 2023
In reply to alex_th:

sewing machine or elvis legs.

wilkie14c 02 May 2023
In reply to Jon Read:

knee trembler or disco leg

LastBoyScout 02 May 2023
In reply to alex_th:

Never heard that before - I've always known it as "disco leg" or, much less often, "Elvis leg".

Post edited at 11:15
 CantClimbTom 02 May 2023
In reply to alex_th:

Maybe also bicycle leg, and when combined with arms and general flailing it can become "Cycling Window Cleaner" (I think originally a Joe Brown expression?)

Edit: Elvis leg gets the most use though?

Post edited at 11:45
 henwardian 02 May 2023
In reply to Jon Read:

Crazy Elvis is what I've heard and used most often.

DaveHK 02 May 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

> knee trembler 

That's something else entirely!

nniff 02 May 2023
In reply to alex_th:

I'm intrigued by the etymology of 'washing machine leg'.  Sewing machine - yes.  Elvis - yes.  Knee trembler - ooh er mrs.  Bicycle and window cleaner - yes.  But a washing machine?  Perhaps I should count myself lucky if it involves water splashing from within...

PaulJepson 02 May 2023
In reply to nniff:

They do tend to bounce around in spin mode. 

hang_about 02 May 2023

As usual

i.e. "I see hang_about is climbing as usual"

Jon Read 02 May 2023
In reply to alex_th:

Your post has made me curious as to why this phenomena occurs. In my experience, it rarely occurs with just physical exertion alone, but seems to require a large psychological element (ie, being shit scared). All the explanations I've seen on the web talk about a physical process (holding the position too long, basically?), but nothing on the psychological aspect.

nniff 02 May 2023
In reply to Jon Read:

No idea what the response mechanism is, but dropping the heel stops it

Michael Gordon 02 May 2023
In reply to Jon Read:

I would speculate it's usually both combined - above gear and scared, with little for the feet and unsure of the next move. Presumably you could sometimes be shit scared and stationary, but relatively secure physically, and therefore wouldn't get it.

Alternatively, if you're in control mentally then you'll probably be less tense physically and therefore won't get it even while puzzling out moves on tenuous ground way above gear. And of course, to be in control mentally it helps to be in control physically!

Rampart 02 May 2023
In reply to alex_th:

'Hippie shakes' (per the Swinging Blue Jeans song)

Tony Buckley 02 May 2023
In reply to alex_th:

Information on all the climbing terms you know and love, or not, here.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/a_glossary_of_climbing_terms_f...

T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...