UKC

Water Tablets vs Steripen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lone 02 Mar 2011
Hi everyone

I currently filter water using a Katadyn hiker pump and Steripen, but this gear is heavy against the obviously smaller option of water tablets. I trust my current system which works as I’m still here, and never been ill from water contamination.

Can anyone tell me whether a Steripen and katadyn hiker pump is more efficient than water tablets for water purification? I want to shed as much gear as possible for some long distance back packing and the water tablets are obviously a better choice weight wise, but by ditching the Steripen & pump do I leave myself open to contamination bug wise?

I would still want the freedom to drink from rural reservoirs and upland streams, which are a few hundred yards or a mile or so from the source.

Thanks

Jason
 butterworthtom 02 Mar 2011
In reply to lone:
Only from giardia and cryptosporidium which I think you only really get from farm type areas. Although water which doesn't taste like chlorine might be an added benefit.
 OldProfile 02 Mar 2011
In reply to lone:

I'm not sure, but on the note of chlorine tasting water, the Lifeventure neutralisation tablets are pretty good at making it paletable again.
In reply to lone: For the UK, usually serilisation of water from so close to a source is not needed. I have never found the need to carry a filter pump and will often just take tables due to their portability. I have never needed to use them yet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...