UKC

Western grit conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 scottidog 04 Apr 2013
Hello.
Want to get out this evening from Manchester and wondering if anyone has some advice on which crags are OK at the moment. Thinking maybe the Wiltons or Windgather. Any advice welcome
Thanks
 Coel Hellier 04 Apr 2013
In reply to scottidog:

I think most of the Western Grit crags will be dry and sufficiently snow free (perhaps not the highest ones, but certainly all the low ones). The problem is cold and wind chill.

I was out yesterday at John Henry Quarry and it was fine any time the sun was out, but a bit chilly whenever it clouded over. Ditto for the Roaches, Ramshaw area.
 kedvenc72 04 Apr 2013
In reply to scottidog: Castle naze is in great condition and windgather looked pretty good as well. Both have a base of snow but the routes and tops are all clear.
OP scottidog 04 Apr 2013
In reply to kedvenc72:

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

BPT@work 04 Apr 2013
In reply to scottidog:

Haven't been into the Wiltons yet this year so if someone else has proper info, fair enough. They get very little sun: Orange Wall in W3 and inside face of the Prow W1 are the sunniest spots. It's pretty windy in Bolton today, so even if you're in the sun you could still be feeling v. cold. If I was in M/c I'd be heading south-east not north-west.
 greglad 04 Apr 2013
In reply to scottidog:

I was in Hobson moor last night. Nice little evening venue and it's sheltered from the wind.
 Mark Collins 04 Apr 2013
In reply to scottidog: The Wiltons generally face North East with the exception of the inside of the prow which ain't great as the wind is coming from that direction. That said, I haven't been down to see what snow is there.

Neither have I been to Brownstones but have seen pictures in recent days on here of snowdrifts at the top of most walls and melt water seeping onto the rock. Obscenity Wall is clear I think though.

Anglezarke is completely free of snow where it matters, and the walls are almost bone dry thanks to this prolonged spell of good weather.
OP scottidog 04 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Collins:

Sounds like Anglezarke may be the winner.

Just been out and that wind is bitter, and its nice and close so can make the most of the daylight...
 Mark Collins 04 Apr 2013
In reply to scottidog: Might see you there then, a colleague and I are going to boulder around Anglezarke till about 7.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...