UKC

whats the rules/ethics on putting stakes in at top of crag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dan bulman 16 May 2013
been up to seat quarry near caldbect today. the rock is loose in places, but with use, the loose stuff could come off and greenery removed. its in the new eden valley guide, with quite a few short routes to go at.

to take the strain off headend quarry, i was thinking.....

if someone put in stakes at the top to belay off, it would get a lot more use.
but who could/would do this? who put the stakes in at headend? can folk just put in their own?

any thoughts?
 henwardian 16 May 2013
In reply to dan bulman: A friend and I investigated a new sea cliff a few years ago, we just put in our own stakes... Took them out again when we left but if we hadn't wanted to keep them for other exploration we would have just left them in place.
Really you just need to be responsible - take long stakes, place them sensibly and check they are not going to waggle loose and come out. Can't see any reason that you shouldn't do that yourself.
 Lankyman 16 May 2013
In reply to dan bulman: make sure you do a good job as already said - people will rely on your handiwork although it's everyones' responsibility to check them before using. On the odd occasion, I've had stakes left in-situ later uprooted and wondered why. On reflection, I think it may have been farmers worried about their sheep snagging them.
 Bulls Crack 16 May 2013
In reply to dan bulman:
Just to be aware as they say Council has put sign up at Heptonstall Quarry advising people to watch out for the stakes..trip hazard.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...