UKC

Where to live in North Yorkshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil4000 29 Dec 2012
So it looks like we're off to live in N Yorkshire, we don't know the area that well so I'm looking for suggestions of good places to live. The remit is: within 30 minutes of Northallerton & close access to some good climbing & ideally village life rather than the bigger area of habitation. Any suggestions?
 papashango 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Phil4000:

Masham could be a good shout? Really nice village, 30 mins from Northallerton, 5 miles from Slipstones, 10 miles from Brimham!

You could go the other side of northallerton in the NY moors (loads if climbing) but I don't really know the area or climbing very well so can't recommend anywhere.

On the find crags map thing, type in northallerton and you can see where all the climbing is!

RBonney 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Phil4000: Knaresborough is awesome, that's also close to a lot of climbing and is very beautiful.
 Sam_in_Leeds 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Phil4000:

My step-sister lives in Thirsk.

It's as if it's twinned with Redneck Alabama or something. Unless you want to marry your sister or go shopping in Tesco in jodphurs best avoided!

Tall Clare 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Phil4000:

My parents live about 30 minutes south of Northallerton, between Ripon and Thirsk - if it were me I think I'd want to be west of Northallerton, over towards Masham, or up towards Richmond.
In reply to Phil4000:

There is a whole string of villages on both sides of the A172 from the A19 and eastwards which all seem pretty nice. My inlaws live in one which has fairly idyllic views of the moors. A172 is good for access to stokesely, middlesbrough when you need to go there, northallerton and the A19 itself for getting anywhere else you want to go.
I'm envious...N. Yorks is pretty much where we want to live but we will be stuck in the home counties for another 2-3 years at least.
Good luck.
 Tall Clare 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds:

It's not that bad! It's just a bit less gentrified than Ripon.
 Sam_in_Leeds 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:

Oh I'd live in Ripon if I needed to be out that way, especially if I had some kiddies.

Still has 11+ which in my eyes makes it definitely worth considering if you've got kids but obvs this is UKC so I'll keep quiet.
In reply to Phil4000: Forgot to say Northallerton, Ripon, Thirsk and the like are nice places to be BUT the house prices reflect this. Don't expect idyllic country living for a pittance, the property market is stil.l strong around there. Much will depend on where you are moving from and how much dosh you will have for a house. Renting is also expensive.
 Tall Clare 29 Dec 2012
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

My brother found this, when considering moving from the home counties - he soon discovered that he wouldn't make much of a saving moving up to round there.
 Tall Clare 29 Dec 2012

Ripon's not a village though, which is what the OP is looking for. Lots of good schools in that direction, from what I understand. If the OP has kids, of course.
 NickK123 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Phil4000: I lived near Hunton and it was a good balance between being near the A1, Northallerton Station and access to all the Yorkshire Dales/Moors climbing areas. Live down South now and miss popping out in the afternoon if the weather is good for some Yorkshire grit etc. (In fact, getting quite tearful!)
 Dauphin 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Phil4000:

Osmotherley, Carlton, Swainby, Hutton Rudby. All pricey mind.
 andy 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Sam_in_Leeds)
>
> Ripon's not a village though,

And is dead rough if you talk to people from there. We have mates who live in Knaresborough and she's from Ripon - couldn't wait to move out.

I spent a few hours there yesterday having Mrs A's car serviced, including sitting in cafe nero for an hour or so, listening to two girls use the word "like" at least (like) six times in every (like) sentence.
 Bulls Crack 29 Dec 2012
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
> [...]
>

>
> I spent a few hours there yesterday having Mrs A's car serviced, including sitting in cafe nero for an hour or so, listening to two girls use the word "like" at least (like) six times in every (like) sentence.

So they like it then?
OP Phil4000 29 Dec 2012
Thankyou for all the responses, plenty of places to think about.
 andy 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to andy)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> So they like it then?

i think they were like home from like university...
 another_mark 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Phil4000: I'm just south of Ripon and I'd be looking out Richmond/Bedale/masham way. Although it is true that the various barracks do influence the feel of the towns.

There is very little property on the moors and what there is tends to be quite expensive.

Grammar schools - meh! Extremely socially divisive - the 'intelligence test' entrance exam just means that there is a nice sideline for tutors getting mummy's little darlings through the exams. Fortunately all the schools around us are pretty good. Plenty of people choose to send kids to other schools rather than Ripon or Harrogate grammar.

Those pretty villages along the A172/A19 do suffer a surprising amount of crime from Teesside as well as often being commuter dormitories. Rural North Yorks is quite right wing in all sorts of ways; village life isn't necessarily all that.

Best thing is for you to spend some time looking around. Id want to be somewhere with a bit of life and culture.
loopyone 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Sam_in_Leeds: Having been born in Ripon and then bought up in Sowerby next to Thirsk from the age of about 9 I would say Sowerby is a good place to live, it's just up the road from Thirsk (walking distance) but maintains a village feel.
 jas wood 29 Dec 2012
In reply to tatty112: Quite a lot of climbing on north york moors and lots of bouldring being unearthed for this stokesley is nice or great ayton maybe.
 peteJ23 29 Dec 2012
Renting or buying?
I live in Northallerton and climb throughout the area..
 sheeny 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Phil4000: forget north york moors too much influence from teeside both for crime and horseyculture
dales is best but only wensleydale lends itself to commuting to n allerton 40mins
i would aim for villages outside ripon -masham, kirby malzeard, grewelthorpe
 andy 29 Dec 2012
In reply to another_mark:
> (In reply to Phil4000)
> Plenty of people choose to send kids to other schools rather than Ripon or Harrogate grammar.
>
>

.No 11+ in Harrowgate - skipton and ripon only. Harrogate (and Ilkley and Bingley) "grammar" schools are comps. Bradford Grammar on the other hand is private and fee paying.

Confused?
 another_mark 29 Dec 2012
In reply to andy: OK. TBH my knowledge of harrogate schools isnt great - I just know that lots of people drag their kids to church so that they can try St Aiden's if the tutoring doesn't take.
 Chris Shorter 29 Dec 2012
In reply to Phil4000:
> So it looks like we're off to live in N Yorkshire, we don't know the area that well so I'm looking for suggestions of good places to live. The remit is: within 30 minutes of Northallerton & close access to some good climbing & ideally village life rather than the bigger area of habitation. Any suggestions?

I used to live in Potto. Lovely place; 15 minutes from Northallerton. There are many other villages along the A19 A172 that are equally nice. You can get to the climbing in the NYM's in minutes and the top end of the Yorkshire Dales is only 40 minutes away. The rather blunt, big question is: how much money have you got?
OP Phil4000 29 Dec 2012
Well no kids to worry about just yet, I think we will be renting as the job move is quite soon & we don't want to rush into buying a house when there is so much choice of areas. I am beginning to get my head around some of the prices that are being charged for properties in some of the locations.
In reply to Phil4000: Nowhere is cheap, as it's all very nice. Villages are the worst for high prices. Everyone wants the idyllic rural pad. Few starter homes if that's what you need - honestly. Avge price for semis is about 175k IIRC. There are few really crap schools, just some better ones. Nothing like the inner city holes you see elsewhere. Countryside is on your doorstep almost everywhere you live. No other place like it. We call it God's Own County for a reason.
 peteJ23 29 Dec 2012
I married my sister in Tesco's whilst wearing Jodhpurs..
you got a problem with that!?
(background banjo music)
 ollieollie 29 Dec 2012
In reply to peteJ23: me and my dad married her to. wheres my glass eye
 peppermill 30 Dec 2012
In reply to Phil4000:

Grew up in Bedale, nice enough little town and not too expensive to buy a house compared to the surrounding villages. Slipstones will be your nearest worthwile crag here. Masham is fine but unless you have more fingers and toes than normal you probably wont get on too well...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...