UKC

Which route in the Lakes has the most Bilberries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 06 Aug 2018

We climbed Sadgill wall the other day, and I thought a most excellent route Sadgill Wall (S 4a) .
A major thing was the huge amount of Bilberries or Wimberries as I call them. Now as I tend not to repeat routes, which other routes have a good Bilberry Picking enroute, so I can take a container to put them in next time, please?

d_b 06 Aug 2018
In reply to J1234:

I didn't do it in bilberry season but I remember Cook's Tour (VD) having no shortage of vegetation so there are probably rich pickings.

J1234 06 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

Ahh, maybe thats infact why its called Cooks Tour, rather than a reference to Thomas Cook.

profitofdoom 06 Aug 2018
In reply to J1234:

Bilberry Groove (HS 4b) at Brimham. Loaded with them

wercat 06 Aug 2018
In reply to J1234:

I seem to remember a veritable "Bilberama" on top of Pillar Rock

Bob Kemp 06 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

Pavey's generally pretty good for bilberries, because it's such a big broken thing. 

Route Adjuster 06 Aug 2018
In reply to J1234:

Me and a pal put up a new route at Gouther Crag,Swindale a few years back called Billberry Mattress as the route is split into two pitches by what can only be described as a large comfortable 'bed' of Billberries.Bilberry Mattress (E1 5a).  A perfect place to nibble away whilst you belay.

Lemony 06 Aug 2018
In reply to J1234:

The ledge below the scrambly top pitch of Raven Crag Buttress is pretty well stocked.

Mark Eddy 06 Aug 2018
In reply to wercat:

Was on the High Level Traverse to Pillar Rock today, there's currently carpets of Bilberry. If it hadn't been quite as wet we may have picked far more!

jessieleong 07 Aug 2018
In reply to profitofdoom:

There's loads of them right now- it seems a sun trap for them! Plenty of bilberries although picking them is pretty labour intensive...

sparkass 08 Aug 2018
In reply to J1234:

Sergeant's Crag Gully (summer) (S)

Bilberrys up to 15mm diameter in the upper pitches and top out. Never seen anything like it. 

J1234 08 Aug 2018
In reply to sparkass:

What did you think of the Route?, I thought it very good.

Alan Bates 08 Aug 2018
In reply to J1234:

Loads on Esk Buttress, two weeks ago. We noted how few berries there were on the plants at the top and assumed the grazing sheep were having them.  

Rog Wilko 08 Aug 2018
In reply to J1234:

This is very odd, Steve, because I saw just the title of the thread and immediately thought Sadgill Wall.

Rog

Greenbanks 09 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

Spot on. Pavey is a wonderful place. I usually forget about the trials of my hapless partner and lie in the bilberry duvet, eating to fulfilment. How long before Hammond comes along with a 'Bilberry Ledge Tax' though....?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...