UKC

Who's labelling crags in the littleborough area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hakahoff 08 May 2019

I've been wandering around some grit quarries in the area between littleborough  and west yorkshire  and See the routes have been labled  at summit and over near exit 22.  I'm ok with it just wondered.  

mrphilipoldham 08 May 2019
In reply to hakahoff:

What sort of labelling? We didn't see anything at Deeply Vale last week.

OP hakahoff 08 May 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Reddyshore crag summit littleborough and the crag facing the motorway on Oldham road near turnpike pub . Initials for routes have been painted on the rock 

cragtyke 08 May 2019

>  We didn't see anything at Deeply Vale last week.

I saw The Fall there in 1978, my mates band the Restricted were on just before them.

greg_may_ 08 May 2019
In reply to hakahoff:

I've not seen anything, but not specifically been looking out for it! 

mrphilipoldham 08 May 2019
In reply to cragtyke:

Funnily enough the festivals came up when I Google'd the place! They tried to restart them a couple of years back it seems..

cragtyke 09 May 2019

What was the climbing like, is it worth a visit over to the dark side ?

mrphilipoldham 09 May 2019
In reply to cragtyke:

What we did was excellent and well worth going for, it was only a 'short' day between school runs mind you and there's probably not a lot else there to go back for until I get a bit better! Only a short walk in so you could make a full day of it with a trip to Summit or Pinfold quarries as well.

thinredline20 09 May 2019
In reply to hakahoff:

Living in Todmorden I visit Summit quite frequently. I was there a couple of weeks ago and did'nt notice any painted names. It appears the owner is going to use it for land fill, every time I go up there has been more tipping, the entrance is completely blocked. I did quite a bit of route cleaning last year and found the overhang on the Crab really insecure, so I brought it down. The crux is still the top moves.

Nik Jennings 09 May 2019
In reply to thinredline20:

> It appears the owner is going to use it for land fill, every time I go up there has been more tipping, the entrance is completely blocked.

Seriously? That would be a great shame, it's a great little quarry. I can't pretend I don't have a vested interest in the routes on Pylon Butress...

If they are still climbable then I'd urge people to give them a go before they disappear (if that is what the future holds...)

thinredline20 10 May 2019

The overhang was on Layback crack, not the Crab. Sorry.

greg_may_ 10 May 2019
In reply to hakahoff:

That's a real shame.

I'll pop over that way when the weather dries off again.

mrphilipoldham 10 May 2019
In reply to thinredline20:

Wow that'll be a shame. Has permission been given? I live on the opposite side of the hill to the big quarry in Birch Vale which is being filled at the moment, and there's a huge buttress there that's unclimbed (as far as I know).. still a way off from being touched by the dumping so maybe one Christmas Day I'll sneak in for a closer look..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...