UKC

Wimberry - The Trident

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 19 Jun 2013
Off up to Wimberry after work an gonna jump on Trident. Quick straw poll:

Which way should I be facing? Greenfield for the win?

Answers before 4.30 pm please. And in case any of you are going to struggle to sleep tonight, I blew the onsight yonks ago...
 Offwidth 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Towards Mecca?
 grubes 19 Jun 2013
look on facebook under alex thompsons photos ...
 The Grist 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: If you elevate yourself off the deck you have achieved a move further than me when I tried it. But that was a few years back and I hope to have more success on my next attempt! Good luck.
 grubes 19 Jun 2013
In reply to craig h:
yes that is the one craig ... he needs to bring back the beard ...
Removed User 19 Jun 2013
In reply to craig h: Back in the day when he had is C of E paedo beard! Personally I am not very trusting of Alex's beta, but I've failed twice facing Greenfield.
 craig h 19 Jun 2013

Only one way to find out

It was looking nice and dry the other day so no excuses.
 GrahamD 19 Jun 2013

> Which way should I be facing? Greenfield for the win?

F*ck knows. All I've ever got from that route is gritstone grazes up to the armpits !
In reply to Removed User: Feet first
 ste_d 19 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: 293 degrees
 Graeme Hammond 19 Jun 2013

too late, but I faced right as it looked like there were more foot placements on that wall (opposite to how I've done the Peapod every time and the photos above). Was amazing, wanted two left arms and my white shoes were green at the end. good times

If it seems easy this time go for Blue light's Crack
 Jon Stewart 19 Jun 2013
> Off up to Wimberry after work an gonna jump on Trident. Quick straw poll:
>
> Which way should I be facing? Greenfield for the win?
>
> Answers before 4.30 pm please. And in case any of you are going to struggle to sleep tonight, I blew the onsight yonks ago...

Didn't see you on this this evening, I did the route around tea time. I got up it OK, but found it shitty, horrible, and not in any way fun, precisely as I expected. Of the big three HVSs I think it's probably technically the easiest, although Fredie's is probably an easier route as while it has a very hard move at the start it's not sustained.
 grubes 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
He bottled it.
The walk up killed him.
Other excuses were used too
 Chris Shorter 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Graeme Hammond:
> (In reply to Hardonicus)
>
> too late, but I faced right as it looked like there were more foot placements on that wall

I faced left and back and footed it. I remember that the main problem was over-coming the friction on my back to move it up the wall. The rock is so rough that sliding up isn't possible.
Removed User 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: I had enough of a hard time on Coffin Crack to realise I had little chance on Trident last night. I saw someone second it (facing right) as we were walking up about 5.30. Was that you guys?
 Jon Stewart 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: yes that'd be us. Seems we both faced right then. I loathe that style of climbing and I scraped my way up without mishap, so it can't be that hard! To its credit, it does have completely solid jams, its just the feet/legs that require wedgy/scrapey techniques.
 Rob Davies 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Removed User: Face straight in to get both hands in the crack to move up. Weird kneebar / chimneying (facing right, I think) to rest. Wear knee protectionave the scars 6 months later!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...