UKC

Windgather....parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 30 Mar 2021
Thread moved from Rocktalk to Crag Access

Polite request....can people please park more considerately, quite a few angry locals tonight, including 2 local farmers who couldn't work to schedule as it wasn't possible to get tractors through. 

Thanks

mrphilipoldham 30 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Saw a picture of it on Facebook. Insane. 

Duncan Bourne 30 Mar 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Roaches skyline was empty today had it all to ourselves. Even quite sparse on the main crag as far as we could see. Plenty walking along the top though

Darron 30 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

When we got there about 1 pm we thought - parking full. Drove on and parked further away and walked back. Later on there was approx 15 - 20 more cars than when we arrived. Somethings gotta give☹️

mrphilipoldham 30 Mar 2021
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Arrived at Stanage High Neb parking at 10 to find it spookily quiet. Filled up during the day, and the High Neb area itself was busy the buttresses even 5 minutes walk north were near deserted, bar the odd team. Mountain Rescue and an ambulance turned up for a Walker who’d taken a funny turn just as we were leaving so it was quite chocka then, and the Bamford lay-by and down the hill were all rammed too. Noted that they’ve installed an alternate stile down the hill though, presumably to relieve some of the pressure. 

jimtitt 30 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

> Polite request....can people please park more considerately, quite a few angry locals tonight, including 2 local farmers who couldn't work to schedule as it wasn't possible to get tractors through. 

> Thanks

Might be worth reminding people that farmers can be driving some wide stuff down the road, like twice as wide as a car.

Chris Murray 30 Mar 2021
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Roaches main CP had obviously been rammed during the day as there were still lots of cars parked illegally on verges when I got there at about 4pm.

Roach end was deserted yesterday in the wind!

Duncan Bourne 30 Mar 2021
In reply to Chris Murray:

Yes we saw them parked on verges when we left (having arrived nice and early in the morning) about 4.00 pm

Prof. Outdoors 30 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Just to update - There was an incident involving my friend needing Buxton Mountain Rescue to be called. They were very quickly on the scene but there was a large turnout so a lot of those cars possibly belonged to MR members.

This was in the afternoon around 3pm onwards.

Agreed that Windgather can be a problem.It was busy. Some owners seem to leave 10 ft between the next car resulting in less space for others. I did see one car parking in the little pull over on the bend just by the quarry. I always thought that is better used as a passing place. I had already seen a lorry having to reverse a long way.

There is more parking up the hill and it is not that far to walk. There were a number of very large households climbing today!!!!!

ianstevens 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

As of Monday you have been able to meet with people outside of your household up to a group of 6. If you’re going to nitpick rules, at least get things right...

Fat Bumbly2 31 Mar 2021

Thanks for pointing out the twospacers. As much a part of crappy parking as the other downers. Meanwhile I just wish I had shares in the yellow road paint manufacturers.   

Post edited at 08:11
OP abr1966 31 Mar 2021

> Just to update - There was an incident involving my friend needing Buxton Mountain Rescue to be called. They were very quickly on the scene but there was a large turnout so a lot of those cars possibly belonged to MR members.

> This was in the afternoon around 3pm onwards.

Hope your friend is OK....parking was more of a problem later on, I drove past at about 7 and it was really tight getting my car through, people had parked directly on the road on the village side of windgather. I was out with a friend trying to catch some escaped sheep, another farmer had got a few of them but  the farmer couldn't get a trailer down because of the parking, hence they are now all loose again!

. I did see one car parking in the little pull over on the bend just by the quarry. I always thought that is better used as a passing place. I had already seen a lorry having to reverse a long way.

That is always a big issue....a ridiculous place to park and always causes big problems, I've literally seen people come to blows at that spot!

Prof. Outdoors 31 Mar 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

Sorry if I didn't make it clear but I was talking about more than 6.

I left at 4pm to take my friend to hospital after Mountain Rescue  carried him to my car. It was still busy when I left.

In reply to abr1966:

Sorry to hear that the problem persisted after I left. My friend was kept in overnight. I am waiting for an update this morning.

Thanks to "Dave" who offered assistance and loaned his duvet jacket to keep my friend warm while we were waiting for Mountain Rescue. Sorry about your lost cam!

Generally Windgather, although small, has always been a really friendly place to climb. Always found that people very encouraging, helpful and just a great place to climb with a beautiful view.

Post edited at 09:31
 Andy Johnson 31 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

The parking situation yesterday was the worst I've seen there. I suspect that it was at least partly due to less car sharing happening at the moment. But that doesn't excuse the selfish way that some people had parked.

I left my car at Pym Chair and had a pleasant fifteen minute ish walk down to the crag. Walking back at dusk there was a nice sunset - as there often is at Windgather, I find.

Jon Greengrass 31 Mar 2021
In reply to jimtitt:

roads that are the same width now as when the average agricultural vehicle was only the width of a car.  

jimtitt 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

But the farmer with his fully loaded hay wagon didn't have to contend with idiot rock climbers.

Andy Hardy 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Andy Johnson:

It was the perfect storm:

• Reduced car sharing
  • Lifting of some restrictions
  • Tuesday is "club night" for many clubs, meets can have up to 30 attending and there were at least 2 clubs there
  • Good weather
  • It's a local crag for a lot of climbers

Not to excuse the poor parking, but the desire to go climbing (and see mates for the first time this year) is pretty strong. Hopefully as the days lengthen we can spread further away from the same crags

FWIW we parked near Pym Chair too, it's a flat 15min walk - good warm up

JMarkW 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Both Andy's

Good shout thanks for pointing out Pym Chair...was going to cycle up tonight....I'll be lazy now!

cheers

Darron 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Andy Johnson:

This.

Crag roadside rammed beyond sensible. Pym chair virtually empty.

planetmarshall 31 Mar 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> FWIW we parked near Pym Chair too, it's a flat 15min walk - good warm up

Or indeed if you absolutely *must* go to Windgather you could just walk up from the reservoir and various points on The Street. Good mountain crag approach training.

tehmarks 31 Mar 2021
In reply to planetmarshall:

Don't be so reckless. Today you're encouraging outdoor hobbyists to walk, and tomorrow all of our brilliant remote and mountain crags are going to be overwhelmed with the influx of people who had never before considered using their legs.

(Seriously, why are so many people so disinclined to use their legs to get to climbing — whether that be long approaches or just walking from sensible parking?)

Post edited at 13:56
OP abr1966 31 Mar 2021
In reply to tehmarks:

That's the big problem with windgather....no walk in and a great view! I must admit to driving there myself so many times....and I live in Kettleshulme!!!

scottbailey64 31 Mar 2021

Hi, hope your friend's OK

Was up there v early this morning and found a few bits of kit lying around, inluding a cam ? left note on gate but if any of it's yours or Daves give us a shout and we'll sort something out re' getting it to you.

Post edited at 15:38
In reply to scottbailey64:

Really appreciate your honesty and your consideration, especially as we tend to throw gear into rucksacks in those circumstances.

We did pack up quickly but I have all of my cams. I know one of Dave's cams was stuck low down on Middle Buttress. As we left there were 2 other pieces of Dave's gear in the same buttress. (Dave was showing people how to place gear)

My friend is still in hospital and is expecting an operation tomorrow. Ironically he'd stopped climbing. I'd led a route and he belayed me up the same route so I could retrieve my gear. It was just a simple slip off the sloping ledge at the top of Middle Buttress.  Thanks again for your concern.

SiWood 31 Mar 2021

cam still there this evening I think

Prof. Outdoors 11 Apr 2021

Update re incident.

I mentioned a friend incident involving mountain rescue. Lost Scarpa rock shoes, small hexes, and sling. In the haste to get my friend to hospital we left the above items at the crag.

I posted this up on lost and found but conscious not everyone reads them and was believe a number of clubs used the crag after we had gone.

Thanks

scottbailey64 11 Apr 2021

Hi,

Got the Scarpa rock shoes, small hexes, and the sling, as well as the cam ... give us a shout and I'll get them to you.

Scott

Magic

Tried to e mail you but not accepting incoming.

scott

sorry about my rather short reply earlier. I was messaging from A&E after going over the bars on my MTB. Looks like 3+ months out of action for me.

Thanks for letting me know about the gear. You can e mail me at my ukc user name @gmail.com

I have let me friend know the good news. We can communicate as to return of the gear.

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...