UKC

Wrists

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kwoods 12 Nov 2012
Yup I should really go to physio about it. But hell I'll ask yours first. See if anyone has something similar sounding.

Anyway started having problems with my left wrist, after playing a load of piano with bad technique - some time ago now, probably getting on a year. (eek, when i put it that way.....)

The wrist is very rarely actually painful, but it's weak. And it will be painful if I stressed it at an angle (like push ups where it's at 90 degrees). If I climb and the pressure goes the wrong way through it (I'm sure it's when the wrist is rotated on an angular sloper or something), it will feel painful, and a bit of stiffness follows. Could also be described as a weird hollow feeling in the joint. And the pain after climbing like that eases if I wrap a thumb and index finger around the joint and apply pressure.

So yeah; anyone had anything similar? Interested to hear. I'm in a stage where it hasn't gone away though isn't annoying enough to sort out... though I probably should!
OP kwoods 13 Nov 2012
In reply to kwoods: Giving this a bump
 dave frost 13 Nov 2012
In reply to kwoods: I had similar from doing too many pullups (and not much other exercise).

It sounds like you'll probably dislocate it if you carry on (as i did). The things you describe sound very familiar,

Dave
 GeoffRadcliffe 13 Nov 2012
In reply to kwoods: Have you got the same range of movement in your left wrist as your right wrist? If you have less then you may need to work on some stretching exercises for your wrist.

Do you have any swelling in the left wrist? If so, there are things you can do to reduce the swelling.

You say your wrist is very weak, then there are strengthening exercises you can do, using such things as therbands, theraputty and light weights.

I am currently recovering from a broken wrist and I am suffering from lack of motion, swelling and weakness (it is very weak). I am currently seeing a physio and an occupational therapsit.
 MNA123 13 Nov 2012
In reply to kwoods: Ive got dodgy wrists, they generally 'go' when i try pulling at full stretch on slopers or huggy boulder problems. I just put some tape round my wrists and carry on. Only affects me while bouldering, never on trad.
OP kwoods 13 Nov 2012
In reply to GeoffRadcliffe: Got full RoM and never had any obvious swelling. It's just ... there. Hmm
 MNA123 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Adam Moroz: I should also mention that it is normally my left wrist that i have trouble with and i did fracture it in 2008.
 SecretSquirrel 14 Nov 2012
In reply to kwoods:
I've had weakness and discomfort in both wrists for a couple of years, lasting reminder of carpal tunnel syndrome that wasn't bad enough to require surgery but did involve lots of rest (like its possible to rest your hands properly!) and not climbing for ages. Saw a physio this summer and she gave me some strengthening exercises that have sorted it right out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...