UKC

Wye Valley loose rock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dave frost 09 Jan 2013
Hiya folks,

So just to add to the posts about the cliffs i thought i would add to it with a warning to be carefull around the Lower Wye.

Out last weekend my partner and I came across a huge rock fall from the right hand side of GO wall (the pedastal area). It looks like the bottom few meters of Perfumed Garden has come down. It was a lot of rock, left a dozen or so oven sized boulders near the pedastal and a load of scree had fallen down to the base of GO wall.

North wall was suffering and we chucked a load of rocks off routes, and more will come down. Stuff seems to be getting pretty loose after so much rain.

I would also suggest care with somewhere like wyndcliff which can be a bit snappy anyway.

I would stay away from Tintern Quarry.

Cheers
Dave
 Mark Morris 09 Jan 2013
In reply to dave frost: A timely warning. Possible frosts tonight too. I was under King Kong, possibly the day after it came down. A lot of the Wye valley will be very loose after this rain.

Wear a helmet and pull gently!
 Mr. Lee 10 Jan 2013
In reply to dave frost:

That's a shame. I really enjoyed Perfumed Garden when I climbed it last year. The start was pretty desperate even then I remember. I wonder if it is still climbable at the grade or whether Kama Sutra will become the default start of Burning Giraffe?
 Chris Sansum 10 Jan 2013
In reply to dave frost:

Yep, we noticed quite a bit of what looked like new debris there on Sunday.
OP dave frost 10 Jan 2013
In reply to Mr. Lee: Hi Lee,

Yes, it did have a hard start, and all of the bottom of that tower on the right has come down, so there isn't much of a groove at the bottom, i would expect this needs a wide berth for a while until someone decides what is holding the top section in place.

As other have mentioned, any very cold snaps won't improve the situation.

Fly Wall seems to be stable enough, but it hardly gets any sun this time of year.

Cheers
Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...