UKC

Yet another font film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climber34neil 19 Jun 2013
Is it just me getting on a bit and maybe stuck in the rather gloomy past but do we really need yet another film about bouldering in Fontainebleau ? About 10 years ago or maybe more there was a great film called "bleau" which unsurprisingly was about bouldering in font and featured top climbers going about their business in the forest. Marc la menestrel, jo mont, jackie godoffe, (spelling!!) some cool French dude with mad hair who looked like Einstein , Phillip le denmat and others on classic problems and first accents of cutting edge problems at that time, all very inspiring stuff. Not long after that and in a very different format there was a film called http:bloc with strong young French climbers doing there thing in font and a bit in the peak as well which again was inspiring , entertaining and informative. None of the films I have seen since seem to have captured this in the same way and appear to me as just another film about some strong person doing something hard but ultimately soulless and dull. Is there to many now or am I just getting old and missing the point?
 Morgan Woods 20 Jun 2013
In reply to climber34neil:

Have you seen Etranger - 85 days in Font?
OP climber34neil 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods: yes, if that's the one that was available as a free download
Bob kate bob 20 Jun 2013
In reply to climber34neil: OK, I am totally biast but I do think that the most recent Font film Out Of Sight is different.

It is about Font, about places that most climbers don't go to, the climbers are there to to capture the essence of what font is about.

OK, there are both well-known climbers, but also quite a few climbers people have yet to hear about. There is a wide range of age and climbing style which I think adds another dimension to the film.

There are hard problems being climbed, but there are also ones that are in the realms of possibility for mere mortals.

I could go on, but I think that bleau.info and 8a.nu sum it up better than I could.

http://bleau.info/

http://www.8a.nu/ "Out of sight - Superb Font Video"

I know Neil would really like to hear back from people about what they think of his film.
neil.....34 20 Jun 2013
just wanted to post a few comments I have had from various sites, but first this I would like to say this is no ordinary font film I have made, yes it features some strong climbers, but it also features the locals and people no one have ever heard of, the point to this film, was to capture the beauty of the forest, not to capture pure hard sends, the majority of the climbing in the film are from the mid grade range, I could have taken all these strong climbers to the hard classic routes and made a typical font film, but I chose not too, As I say I wanted to capture the beauty and tranquillity the forest once offered and that is still a available if you just wonder out of the main areas.

From UKB
A genuinely beautifully and thoughtfully shot bouldering film - in some ways more like a collection of wonderfully framed scenes than the usual panned out or tracking shot of someone strong making something hard look easy (though Nalle does manage to make the same problems look both hard-whilst falling off-and easy-when sending-within matters of minutes)

From a very big French site
The challenge was very risky from the director of this film, But the boulders were filmed really well, the mood and the lighting of the forest makes this an excellent film with a good choice of music, The interviews are fresh and natural and the climbers climb well which adds fluidity to the whole film, And then there is Nalle the best boulderer in the word, what was nice is that passages were chosen for most part unknown, Phew we got o t of karma, carnage and other classics, we were treated will a film that is really out of sight
 nasher47 20 Jun 2013

Personally I can't get enough of Font films. It's one of my favorite places in the world, not even in climbing terms, it's just an amazing place to spend time. Sadly I don't live there and so these films help me to stay motivated in the meantime.

Great work Neil, you've definitely shown me a few blocs I'll be hunting out next time around!
 Morgan Woods 20 Jun 2013
> (In reply to Morgan Woods) yes, if that's the one that was available as a free download

That's the one. I'm not really into bouldering but really loved it.
 Davinamo 20 Jun 2013
In reply to climber34neil: I love my Bleau vid (still got it on VHS!) This new one however is one that may replace it
neil.....34 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Davinamo:

thanks man
neil.....34 20 Jun 2013
In reply to Davinamo:

I'm really glad you liked it
OP climber34neil 20 Jun 2013
In reply to neil.....34: just seen the new one, for me it's the best I've seen for a long time and certainly up there with bleau and http:bloc, I now feel rather injust with my original post however this stands out as a rather special film in an area where there are many mediocre ones.
neil.....34 20 Jun 2013

really glad you liked it, and thanks for posting
neil.....34 24 Jun 2013

I just put the last trailer out today

vimeo.com/68956926

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...