UKC

Yorkshire Limestone New Routes / Leeds Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 29 May 2019

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a current resource for new routes / areas on Yorkshire Limestone.

It used to be on the Leeds Wall website but that's now gone, and the guide is now very outdated.

I spend a lot of time up on the limestone and have always enjoyed going to the new areas that have been developed and would love to find more around there.

Anyone know if there is a resource for recent stuff?

Thank

Frank

spidermonkey09 29 May 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

The rockfax isn't that old?

Wiley Coyote2 29 May 2019
In reply to spidermonkey09:

> The rockfax isn't that old?

Not very old but pretty out of date, including whole new crags

OP Frankie boy 29 May 2019
In reply to spidermonkey09:

Thanks for that. Yeah, sadly the Rockfax misses a lot of good existing crags, let alone newer ones,. and I have seen no info anywhere regarding crags such as Georges Scar, Crina Scar, Back Tow Scar etc except on the Leedswall database which is sadly gone. There's also tonnes more stuff done at places like Chapel-Le-Dale etc. 

Am wondering if maybe Dave Musgrove and co know anything of the newer stuff. I also wonder if there will ever be plans for a new Yorkshire Limestone guide, but having seen some of the newer crags and the sheer volume of newer stuff and unclimbed rock, that would be one hell of an undertaking.

I'm a bit limestone fan and generally live in the area so always hunting around for new stuff etc.

In reply to Frankie boy:

> Am wondering if maybe Dave Musgrove and co know anything of the newer stuff. I also wonder if there will ever be plans for a new Yorkshire Limestone guide, but having seen some of the newer crags and the sheer volume of newer stuff and unclimbed rock, that would be one hell of an undertaking.

> I'm a bit limestone fan and generally live in the area so always hunting around for new stuff etc.

Hi,

I am also looking for any information regarding new routes in Yorkshire. Probably it would be best to contact Dave Musgrove as he and his friends are still new routing and also involved with running the Yorkshire bolt fund.

I’d be grateful if you would let me know of any new stuff. Thanks.

Chris

In reply to Frankie boy:

These days the most up-to-date information for developing crags is often on UKC Logbooks. I don't know whether that is the case for the Yorkshire lime crags you are interested in, but it is probably worth a look.

As a place to put new routes, we strongly encourage people to list the routes on UKC and create entries for the new crags. UKC logbooks are freely accessible, known about by most climbers and can be updated and added to by anyone so it does make sense. 

Alan

Will Hunt 30 May 2019
In reply to Frankie boy:

There is a new select guide which will include Yorkshire Limestone in the pipeline, but it won't include the crags that have been mentioned on this thread. When the select is out, I'd like to turn my (or someone else's perhaps) energies to definitive limestone coverage, but I'm not sure what this might look like.

In an ideal world I think the lime would be best covered by an app (since this is more readily updated as new routes/crags are developed or old trad routes are bolted or fixed gear/holds disintegrate). There's obviously a compromise here because apps don't do browsing very well. It's all a bit of a question for tomorrow at the moment.

OP Frankie boy 30 May 2019
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Many of the newer Yorkshire Lime crags that appeared on the leedswall website are not at the moment on UKC, and to some extent, now that site is gone, I presume the only person with the full information would be whoever put up the routes or put them on the site. It is certainly a while since I used the old database and having been to some of the crags listed on there, there certainly seemed to be scope for more. 

OP Frankie boy 30 May 2019
In reply to Will Hunt:

I may well be interested in helping out with a new Yorkshire limestone guide, though I have no knowledge of guides other than reading them, and admittedly I don't use phones / apps etc, but I'm currently moving to Skipton and I am a Yorkshire LImestone man at heart.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...