UKC

/ 9-mile marathon

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Rampikino - on 09 Jan 2018
Hi all,

Anyone seen or heard anything of this training plan that apparently tells you to cut out long runs and hit your marathon goal in 90 days running no more than 9 miles at a time.

Not much in the way of reliable peer-reviews online, but it looks like semi-scam/gimmick to me.

I'm curious because I'm a regular marathon runner, back on the road again and past 14 miles, and just wondering what the concept is...

M
The New NickB - on 09 Jan 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

I’ve not seen that, but I have seen all sorts of crazy Marathon plans. Doesn’t make sense to me, the difference between how my first 20 mile run and second 20 mile run feels is huge, I will probably run 20-22 miles 8 times before marathon day. I’m a big fan of lots of marathon pace 10 milers, but not running further than that is going to leave you seriously under prepared.
In reply to The New NickB:

I agree. I also feel that there a major psychological barriers to overcome, especially if you are not used to running long distances. The head-game needed to get through a marathon is not going to be won during 9-milers IMO.
Jim Hamilton - on 09 Jan 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

If you run 9 miles a day you can't go far wrong ??
ClimberEd - on 09 Jan 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

Well I race long distance triathlons and in training I have probably only run longer than 2 1/2 hours 3 times in the past 5 years.

In fact, I can say I haven't run longer than 2 1/2 hours in training for the last 3 or so years, and I typically only run that once or twice before a race.

All my training is time not distance based.

And my results are okay.

I guess a couple of things, which is that my overall training volume (for the swim bike run) is large so I am getting an overall endurance effect from that. Also I mainly run hills which builds strength which is what you need for a triathlon marathon, rather than speed for a fresh 3 hour event.
yorkshireman - on 09 Jan 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

> Anyone seen or heard anything of this training plan that apparently tells you to cut out long runs and hit your marathon goal in 90 days running no more than 9 miles at a time.

I guess the crux is what is the goal being referred to? Is it just to complete it? Get round in <5 hours? Or run a 2:50?

It sounds dubious to me although I'm a big fan of harder, shorter sessions (as ultimately you need to raise your overall fitness so that your race pace isn't so close to your absolute limit) but there's no hiding from needing to do long runs just to prepare the body for the battering it will take.

If it was a sure-fire success I guess we would have heard more of it.
summo on 09 Jan 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

There is a rough theory that whatever you regular maximum distance is, you can absolutely kill yourself and treble it. There are caveats that you must be running that distance weekly for a while and the 3x distance requires huge motivation as it will be a complete sufferfest. Not the best way to embark on a marathon.
wbo - on 09 Jan 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

I think the other thing you overlook is that mentally you're used to putting in continual efforts of 2 hours plus so the mental 'surprise' of just how long it can feel is pretty much removed.

It's another plan. It has the advantage of you're way less likely to get overtrained and I confess I am not a fan of seeing people wobbling around for 3 hours plus. On the downside it ain't going to get you very fit nor mentally ready , and if it doesn't work for you it might make a long day feel very hard
The New NickB - on 09 Jan 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

I’m assuming your 2:30 run is a lot further than 9 Miles, I won’t run for longer than 2:30 in my marathon training, but I will be doing 20 miles or a touch more.
ClimberEd - on 09 Jan 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

yeah it is, I have no idea how far actually, I guess about 28-30km depending on how hilly, or further on the flat.
I was more generally drawing attention to 'shorter' distance training rather than the 9miles specifically.

Regarding the 9M, the OP doesn't say if there is running more than once a day.
You could do 9miles twice a day. Or various other combinations such as 9M and 6M, or even 9 & 3 & 3, or mix it up over a few days etc.

Additionally, it could propose a run/walk strategy in the event. Say run 5M, walk 1 and so on. This would probably be possible off 9m runs.

Sounds a bit silly to me.

In reply to ClimberEd:

The thing is, the plan is something you have to buy, so I can't say anything about the content beyond the blurb!
Yanis Nayu - on 09 Jan 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

Sounds like bollocks to me, not that I’ve ever trained for running long distances.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.