UKC

Andy Berry - Lake District 24h record attempt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 19 May 2023

https://live.opentracking.co.uk/l24r23ab/?fbclid=PAAaZPiC8e0XtMQt9PDhHaQKzh...

He sets off tonight at midnight. Has a schedule for 79 peaks. He has some A-List support runners. I reckon he has a good chance of taking the record.

montyjohn 19 May 2023
In reply to ablackett:

This just blows my mind. Something like the Bob Graham seems superhuman at 42 peaks, then there's this wizardry.

OP ablackett 20 May 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Berry's L1 was an hour quicker than Collinson's equivalent leg (which was Leg 7 due to the different starting locations).

Berry's L2 was about 27 minutes slower than Collinson's equivalent leg 1.

All to play for on L3.

Kalna_kaza 20 May 2023
In reply to ablackett:

What's the criteria for counting as a peak?

Avoiding Bakestall, counting Combe (next to knott), not counting Knott Rigg as a peak... Haycock looks like a lengthy diversion for a "maybe".

It's a great weather window for it, good luck to him!

Tom Briggs 20 May 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Do they really go direct up Blisco from Stool End? I’ve come down it that way in the Great Lakes fell race and that was hard enough.

elliptic 20 May 2023
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

> What's the criteria for counting as a peak?

Mostly just tradition tbh.

Nowadays new tops need to be over 2000' with a quarter-mile and 250' of separation but some of the older ones don't meet that. Even the original BGR has anomalies like counting Steeple but not Scoat Fell (which is clearly the parent summit and you can't avoid running back over). All part of the charm!

OP ablackett 20 May 2023
In reply to Kalna_kaza:

There is a list of peaks which meet the criteria, so the easiest one on the list was Haycock.

However, he has missed his go/no-go time at Red pike so has omitted Haycock, now to take the record he has to get back to Newlands in less than 23:45:32

It looks like he is currently due to finish in about 23:45:32

BuzyG 20 May 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Out of signal right now. Touch and go as to a new record.  Good luck.

OP ablackett 20 May 2023
In reply to BuzyG:

15 minutes up on Collinson with 2 peaks to go. Baring a calamity, it’s in the bag.

lowersharpnose 20 May 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Thanks for this thread.  What an effort, nearly there.

BuzyG 21 May 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Success in 23:23:20, Fine effort.

Post edited at 00:05
 minimike 21 May 2023
In reply to BuzyG:

Indeed, but I have a question.. is it really necessary to go north of the a66? There are relatively few peaks there and the distance is significant. Couldn’t alternatives further south be more efficient? I’m guessing not, but it surprising to me..

r0b 21 May 2023
In reply to minimike:

Any new record has to include all the peaks of the existing record.

minimike 21 May 2023
In reply to r0b:

Ok, well that explains it! Ta

mountainbagger 21 May 2023
In reply to ablackett:

For anyone who's interested Strava here: https://www.strava.com/activities/9109372170

Michael Hood 21 May 2023
In reply to BuzyG:

> Success in 23:23:20, Fine effort.

Great run, such a shame he wasn't 3 seconds slower 😁

ro8x 21 May 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Good to see a successful attempt on the record, hopefully someone else fancies having a crack and we all get another fine 24 hours of dot watching.

BuzyG 22 May 2023
In reply to r0b:

> Any new record has to include all the peaks of the existing record.

Dare I ask why? 

Nic Barber 22 May 2023
In reply to BuzyG:

You should know better than to ask 'why' when fell/hill running idiosyncrasies are involved!

I assume that it's historical and continuity purposes for the Lakes 24h - as mentioned above, some of the 'peaks' would now not make the re-ascent/distance requirements now in place, and it keeps a strong lineage in the record. There was a set of articles in the Fellrunner covering this in recent years.

However, the Munro round has moved around a bit as that's just any Munros starting/ending in the same place - though of course peaks getting demoted/promoted from/to Munro status has added its own idiosyncrasies. iirc, it started in Lochaber, then moved to Kintail, before the last 4 (3 men's, 1 women's) records were set in Cairngorms.

Given Lakes is based on the Bob Graham round, and Monro's has the Charlie Ramsey round in its lineage (please correct me if I'm wrong), there is some divergence in method here, but again I think it's beacuse there's always been a defined list of Munro's (even if this sometimes changes), whereas there's not always been a list of what constitutes a peak in the Lakes. You could do a 'Wainwright's 24h' record, but then this is also to some extent a fairly random list, based mainly on views and not a numerical specification..

Michael Hood 22 May 2023
In reply to BuzyG:

They're all originally based on extending the BG round, and then extending that by adding one or more (!!! not nowadays) peaks or doing the same peaks quicker.

So in that respect they're not really "most peaks possible in 24 hours", more a sort of "anything you can do I can do better" type challenge.

OP ablackett 22 May 2023
In reply to Nic Barber:

>  You could do a 'Wainwright's 24h' record, 

That has got me thinking.  John Kelly did 49 Wainwrights in the first 24 hours of his Wainwrights record.  Did Berry/Collinson do more than 49 Wainwrights.  I would guess yes but I can't be bothered to cross check right now.

Michael Hood 23 May 2023
In reply to ablackett:

Not counted them rigourously but from a quick scan there's at least 60 in that route 

Post edited at 07:39

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...