UKC

Autumn / Winter half marathons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Voltemands 03 Aug 2013
Any personal recommendations for late season HM's? Ideally in the north, though I could combine one with a visit home in the West Midlands. As flat and quick as possible, I'm feieling positive about finally breaking sub 1hr 30 min barrier.
 Banned User 77 03 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands: Great North Run?

Liecster or Workshop are also later on, OCtober..

Not too much on.
 NMN 03 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands:

If you are only interested in time and don't mind laps, I've entered the Newcastle Race Course Half.

http://www.madeyarun.com/NewcastleRacecourse.php

andy 03 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands: if you can get in the Brass Monkey in York in January is super quick.
 steveriley 03 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands:
Four Villages (Helsby), Jan 19 is a great race. Not as flat as Brass Monkey but good atmosphere - I'm biased - and people seem to manage fast times. Entry from 1 Oct.
 Banned User 77 03 Aug 2013
In reply to SteveRi: Its fairly quick.. a few late hills but certainly within a few minutes...
 tony 03 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands:

Glen Clova, in November, is a bit of a Scottish classic. The first half is a bit lumpy, but it's where I got my first sub-90 half. It fills up quickly.

The Kirkintilloch half in early October is flatter, and is quite competitive. It's on the same weekend as the Great Scottish Run in Glasgow - again, reasonably flat and decent PB territory.
Removed User 03 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands:
Wrexham (Village Bakery). Flat, fast, February.
 steelbru 03 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands:
Aviemore is fast ( net downhill ). Normal entries sold out, just charity ones left, but not too much, just need to guarantee £50 I think
Removed User 03 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands:

The Lochaber (Fort William) half is in November and it's dead flat. Not as nice as the Clova half but faster.

Steve John B 03 Aug 2013
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to Voltemands) if you can get in the Brass Monkey in York in January is super quick.

But it sells out quicker than you can run it!
 Uluru 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands: If you were going to combine it with a visit home Bristol half is on 15th September. It's pretty flat and good PB potential
OP Voltemands 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands: loads of great suggestions, thanks all. Will check them all out. Cheers.
 CarbonCopy 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands:
There's a great little half in Nottinghamshire called the Turkey Trot held in December. Sells out super quick but the course is known for being one where many people clock in a new pb
 Jon Jones 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands:

Hi,
The Tissington Trail half marathon is good. I did it last year (the 1st time it's been ran I think)

It's on October 5th. All off road, and they claim all slightly downhill, I didn't fell like it was!

Starts near Buxton, ends at Ashbourne
 RedFive 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands:

Great Scottish Run? Starts and finishes in Glasgow and new route this year takes in all the sites in the run up to being the host city for Commonwealth Games.

6th October, places still available. http://www.greatscottishrun.com/

I've entered and using it as prep for Paris Marathon next April.
 GordyB 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands:

Oban Half Marathon also on the 6th October. Great route along the coast.

http://atlantisleisure.co.uk/atlantisleisure/other-activities/race-series/
 tony 14 Aug 2013
In reply to GordyB:

Does the Oban half still have that bloody awful finish through the Corran Halls car park, up the hill and across the main road into town? I did it one a couple of years back and ran a mile more than necessary due to inept marshalling and signposts and vowed never to do it again.
 andy gittins 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Voltemands:

Lancaster Half in November is excellent - quite fast and scenic route part on cinder tracks and road - maybe not perfect for pb but good.
 GordyB 15 Aug 2013
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to GordyB)
>
> Does the Oban half still have that bloody awful finish through the Corran Halls car park, up the hill and across the main road into town? I did it one a couple of years back and ran a mile more than necessary due to inept marshalling and signposts and vowed never to do it again.

Same finish although much better marshaled over the last couple of years. Course is officially measured and turn points crystal clear compared to vagueness in past years.

G
OP Voltemands 08 Sep 2013
In reply to NMN: Thanks again for all the useful suggestions.

Have finally managed to sit down and look at the different logistics. Can't believe I'm even thinking about but it looks like the Newcastle racecourse is the only one I can make! 8 Laps can't be thaaaat bad can it?!! :-/

OP Voltemands 08 Sep 2013
In reply to Steve John B: And yes I'll be attempting to get a place on this, hopefully I'll be able to type my bank details in quick enough!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...