UKC

Bakers Cyst - anyone had one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Guy 27 Jul 2018

I seem to have developed a Bakers Cyst which currently isn't that painful but also isn't going away.  NHS says don't bother the NHS unless it is painful.  Anyone had one and can give an idea on how they treated it?  Thanks!

yeti 27 Jul 2018
In reply to Guy:

Yes, I've had one for some years probably 6 or 7, it mostly leaves me alone now, there was a time when it seemed to be twanging a tendon walking down stairs, the doc said they would operate if it got painful but when i told one it was sometimes painful he did the mechanics teeth sucking thing, i also think too much squatting aggravates mine so i tend to rest more on the other leg...

hope this helps

OP Guy 27 Jul 2018
In reply to yeti:

Thanks, it's what I expected to hear but didn't really want to!

GDes 27 Jul 2018

Had one pre and post cartilage op on left knee. It came back if I overdid it, and knee swelled up a bit. I just ignore it. Surgeon said to do the same. 

OP Guy 27 Jul 2018
In reply to GDes:

Looks like I need to get used to it! Thanks.

Rigid Raider 28 Jul 2018
In reply to Guy:

Same story here - I had them behind both knees after cycling too hard at the beginning of my road cycling phase. The joints take time to catch up with the extra demands of stronger muscles. They were mildly uncomfortable but never painful so I ignored them and after a year or so I forgot about them.

GDes 28 Jul 2018

it seems that are basically an accumulation of fluid in the knee from inflammation. I found when I iced the injured part of my knee, they went down. 

OP Guy 28 Jul 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I have done some long fell races this year so probably over did it!

JayPee630 28 Jul 2018
In reply to GDes:

I have one, only noticed it in the shower one day. I sometimes think my knee twinges, but that might be unrelated and it doesn't really cause me any problems and I run and lift heavy weights (squat/deadlift).

If it doesn't bother you then what's the problem OP? If they burst they can be painful, but the treatment is rest, elevation and painkillers until it eases. If they do cause problems they can be operated on.

Post edited at 11:05
 yorkshireman 29 Jul 2018
In reply to Guy:

I'd never heard of it but just Googled (after finishing my breakfast in case there were horrible photos).

For about 18 months I've had something similar but on the front outside above my knee. I got an ultrasound of it and my doc suggested we can drain it but really only worth doing it if it becomes a problem because I'd risk having to lay off the training for a few weeks with the treatment. Its not painful, just weird and I've done 100 milers with it and it hasn't caused problems.

OP Guy 30 Jul 2018
In reply to JayPee630:

It presses on a tendon and impedes full movement of my knee, not horendously but enough to be annoying and occasionally painful.

Seems less of a problem on the MTB than running which makes me think it might be a cartilage problem.

Post edited at 10:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...