UKC

Big Dog's Backyard Ultra article

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam W 22 Apr 2021

Enjoyed reading this.  Very vaguely see the appeal of the event, but safe to say I will not be entering

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/56720358

In reply to Sam W:

Thanks for sharing that, enjoyed reading it. Sounds fully bonkers!

Roadrunner6 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Sam W:

Many friends have done this. I don't see the appeal. Long journeys I do. I'd much rather try to do say the Long Trail through VT or something. Saying that I often follow it but likewise Barkeley marathons holds no real appeal.

I know Maggie pretty well as we lived near each other so have raced together, drunk beers together, running shop talks and that sort of thing. It's incredible to see how strong she is, she reminds me of Nicky Spinks as she's just not that good a runner but just plows on regardless and holds her pace. I think she's been top 10 at Western. 4th at 24 hr World Champs certainly a strong running pedigree but it's on the super long she excels.

There's also a ski version where they ski up and ski down laps on a mountain. They just held that in NH.

timjones 22 Apr 2021
In reply to Sam W:

> Enjoyed reading this.  Very vaguely see the appeal of the event, but safe to say I will not be entering

I have run 2 backyard ultras in the UK and love the format in spite of failing after 17 laps on both.

They are unique in their character with the entire field coming together every hour so you get to run alongside other runners of all abilities throughout the event.

The atmosphere is very positive with runners achieving distance PBs from very early on, some will run their first half marathon and others their first hundred miler but all are heartily encouraged and congratulated by all the other competitors.

Roll on the next one on June 5th

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...