UKC

Camelback, bumbag or backpack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Enty 09 Oct 2013
Right I'm hooked! Just done 11km trail run with loads of ascent around Rocher St Julien.
Problem is I had a crappy old backpack on with my drink,bars, phone and car keys etc bouncing up and down and pestering me.

So what do you prefer? I hate having stuff on my back so would a bumbag be better. I'm looking to up the km this winter so might need to carry more fluids and a sandwich.
Do any of you use a Camelback?

I like the look of this: http://www.decathlon.fr/porte-bidon-double-raid-trail-id_8208200.html

Cheers,

E
 Curry 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

For long races and training runs in the hills I use a North Face Enduro 13 pack. It sits very nicely for me, I forget its on sometimes. Really comfy to wear, doesn't chafe. The two water bottle holders are angled so you don't have to dislocate your arms trying to grab them - in easy reach. Plenty of space in pack for a bladder as well if you use one and gear. The waist strap has two zip pockets for keys/gels/jelly babies.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/the-north-face-enduro-13-hydration-pack-aw13/

For fell races I just use a Invo8 Race Pac bumbag, lots use the Pete Bland one.
 yorkshireman 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

You will of course get three different answers but I've been running seriously for about 4 years and have changed and evolved what I use over time just as my running has changed.

I've never liked the waist holders since the bouncing of the bottles bugs me. I have a great pack (Salomon S-lab something or other) which is excellent (wore it for 16 hours in a race last month and hardly knew it was there) but it is one of the more expensive packs, but I've tried a lot of toot over the years.

For regular training runs anything less than 90 minutes doesn't really need a pack unless it's very hot and I need water or very cold (snowy) and a turned ankle cause problems and extra gear is needed.

The best thing is you're hooked and you enjoyed it. Keep experimenting and I'm sure you will hit on the setup that fits you.
 The New NickB 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

Something like this is probably best for what you describe.

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/xr-sensibelt.html

Comfort is the key thing, so whatever you get, try it on first. I generally get by without a drink, even for 20 miles, but most people like to carry one for longer distances.
 tony 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

The answer is ... it depends.

For a lot of runs up to about 90 minutes, I probably wouldn't carry anything, although if it's 90 minutes in the hills, I'd maybe take a bumbag with a windproof jacket, a couple of gels and maybe some water. A lot would depend on the weather. Flexible water bottles are quite useful for this, since they can be made to fit the available space better than rigid bottles.

I've also got a couple of running tops with pockets on the back, like cycling tops, which are quite good for carrying a few gels.

For longer runs, I've got an Innov-8 rucksack with an inbuilt bladder and space for waterproofs, food, drink, map and compass.
 Solaris 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:
I agree with those who say there's no single answer.

On shorter runs I usually don't carry anything except maybe a gel in my short's pocket. For longer, hotter, drier runs, I find a small bumbag pretty good. The one I've got will carry 1 litre of water, a map, windshirt and odds and sods; cinch straps on the sides help stop stuff moving around and rattling. For drinking on the move I use a platypus tube over my shoulder and hold it in place on my running vest with platypus clips. Camelbaks look good but if you ask me they are mighty pricey for what they are!

If I need to carry more clothing, a blizzard bag, etc. I use a small Deuter rucsack. Salomon and Inov8 do some excellent running packs.
OP Enty 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

Thanks for the answers everyone.

Curry - your suggestion looks great for what I'm hoping to do in winter without the bladder and great for longer summer runs with the bladder - perfect!. Looks like enough room for an extra bit of warm clothing too. I'm definitely hoping to be out for more than 2/3 hours too.

Nick - that looks perfect for the shorter runs I want to do.

So probably best to invest in two items.

Cheers,

E
andymac 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

OMM waist pouch at the moment.

Also bought a Deuter Race pack ,which I am yet to use .

Maybe come the winter months
 StefanB 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:

There will be many opinions on this. Here's what I do:

- Shortish non-technical stuff (90 minutes - 4 hours): handheld bottles with a very light belt that holds mobile phone, keys + some gels and energy bars. the bottle holder also have pockets for stuff.

- Shortish technical stuff on which I prefer hands free a waist belt with single 0,75l bottle (angled at 45 degrees).

- Longer stuff (< 4 hours or remote enough to require extra gear): Ultimate Direction SJ Vest which sits very high on the back and has two front-mounted bottles. I prefer bottles to hydration backs, but otherwise I would probably use a Salomon vest type bag.
 matthew 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: Depends on conditions what you need to carry. Runners naturally prefer bumbags but once they get above a certain weight, the benefit is lost. When you are thinking of more drinks and a sandwich, a little rucksack / hydration pack might be the most comfortable and stable. Whatever sort of bag you have, if it has free space, things will tend to jig around & you may need to arrange some straps or cords to compress it, if it doesn't already have them.
 Paul Atkinson 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty: as others have said, different systems required for different indications. I've got: a Hilly belt that does keys, phone and a couple of gels; a simple Karrimor Raid 1l which will carry keys, phone, gels, pertex, hat and gloves; Raidlite thing that carries a big bottle and just a pertex, gels and keys for hot weather; Inov8 race elite 3.5 which carries all FRA mandatory kit for an AL race (full body waterproofs, hat, gloves etc) plus a 500ml bottle; Go Lite Rush 12l which carries full stuff for an ultra or winter and fits in a way that doesn't mess with you like most rucksacks and will take bladder +/- 2 bottles. That covers the full range of distances and terrain summer and winter

However, I have recently moved to the vest thing and am totally sold on it over bumbags and sacs. I've got a Salomon S Lab 12 which will carry full ultra/winter kit and 2 500ml bottles+/- a bladder. You really do forget you're wearing it in a way I've never experienced with sacs or bumbags. Given you're in sunny climes the smaller S lab 5 version would probably be better and gives the option of carrying 3l of fluid very comfortably and without hassle. Expensive but worth every penny. I'd definitely look at these over Camelbak

P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...