UKC

Cheap running holiday anyone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SouthernSteve 25 Jul 2021

I have read this a few times and there is a bit of me that says it must be a spoof, but I don't think so. What running holiday would you do for £15K?

https://race-nation.co.uk/register/primal-adventures/highland-kings?fbclid=...

Post edited at 14:53

Lankyman 25 Jul 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

I'd expect to be carried in a gold and diamond encrusted sedan chair for that

OP SouthernSteve 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> I'd expect to be carried in a gold and diamond encrusted sedan chair for that

Me too. If I had the money and more importantly the time, I would have a very long season in the Alps, but I suspect it would be snaffled in house towards a new kitchen!

It is a bit light on information! I’d be fascinated to know how many people sign up, or if it ever runs a second time. Can’t quite picture who the target market is - other than people with more money than sense!

mountainbagger 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Stuart Williams:

More here: https://www.highland-kings.com/

It's weird. I'd be too embarrassed to go (assuming I'd won the lottery to be able to afford it)!

In reply to mountainbagger:

Me too. It sounds like the antithesis of all the things that would attract me to doing an ultra marathon. Seems utterly bonkers but if there’s a market for it then good luck to them I suppose. 

deepsoup 25 Jul 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

> It's weird. I'd be too embarrassed to go (assuming I'd won the lottery to be able to afford it)!

Likewise.  Also..

I've never done an ultra, but I've done some other races.  For me the appeal of taking part in a race over just doing the course on my tod as an individual challenge/adventure is the camaraderie of the other participants.  (Marshals, spectators, y'know.)   Even for the fat lad wheezing along at the back of the pack, the enthusiasm of others can be very uplifting.

If I had that kind of money to spend I might enter a big and relatively expensive event well in advance, get a personal trainer to organise a proper training programme and help me through it, fancy watch, stay in a posh hotel before and after the race etc. and probably have at least £10k left over.

What I absolutely wouldn't do is enter an event where the entire field is quite likely to consist of a few dozen absolute nobbers.

DaveHK 25 Jul 2021

Alarm bells started ringing at 'Ex Special Forces' and how can something be both 'luxury' and an 'immersive wilderness experience'? And describing runners as athletes, warriors and pioneers. Are there really folk out there rich enough and dumb enough to believe that pish?

Post edited at 21:08

Forest Dump 25 Jul 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

There's something in Runners World this month about tabbing, and they give an example of the Fan Dance. The correspondant turned up late, was shouted at in public, orded to drop and give em 20...f*ck that, i'm a paying customer and want your managers name!! That's all on the 'Special' Forces vibe..

As an aside, whats the damage on Spine Race or Dragons Back entry?

Or even C2C self supported..

DaveHK 25 Jul 2021

I love the bit about travelling to the islands by speedboat. I've done that several times for the Jura race although nothing about it could be described as luxury except perhaps the skipper's waistline!

Dark-Cloud 26 Jul 2021

I’m not sure that’s correct is it, I hope not?Surely the decimal place is in the wrong place ?

I saw another website a few days ago where something that should have been £1400 was listed as £14,000, looked like a website template error

timjones 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Forest Dump:

I've entered one of the Fan Dance events a few times as I worked my way up to the trident.

Some entrants seem to want and thrive on the special forces vibe but in the main they are good no nonsense events where a competitor can be looked after in an efficient way with no BS or smarm.

A few event staff have randomly tried the "drop and give me 20" routine with me at checkpoints but if you play it deadpan and bluntly state that you're only there to run they don't push it.

DaveHK 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I’m not sure that’s correct is it, I hope not?Surely the decimal place is in the wrong place ?

£1400 would put it in the same bracket as other multi day events. So given what they're offering the 14,000 will be correct.

Post edited at 08:52
 Dark-Cloud 26 Jul 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

Mmmmm, I’m that case that’s the most bonkers thing I have ever seen, how on earth have the reached that figure ?

DaveHK 26 Jul 2021
In reply to timjones:

> Some entrants seem to want and thrive on the special forces vibe 

​​​​​​This always amuses me, the fact that there are grown men (and it is mainly men) who are suckers for anything with that 'special forces' tag. I noticed that one of the 'exclusive partners' of this event is Thrudark clothing who also trade heavily on that kind of BS. Have a look at their website if you want a laugh.

wbo2 26 Jul 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:  That is absolutely bonkers.  That sort of money will get you a nice long trip to Colorado, or Kenya, where you'll learn plenty more about running.  

It doesn't even look interesting running!

%% I looked at the webpage for Thrudark clothing.... hmmm.... marketing for troubled people

Post edited at 09:15
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

It looks to be correct- a £1400 watch is included in the entry so that alone pretty much rules out a misplaced decimal. 

Dark-Cloud 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Stuart Williams:

Didn't spot that, bonkers.

DaveHK 26 Jul 2021

In reply to 

> Can’t quite picture who the target market is - other than people with more money than sense!

A mate of mine was a guide on a big corporate team building trip to Greenland for a group of bankers (I think it was bankers he said). He spoke about how money was no object to these guys and how there was a culture of both oneupmanship and following the bosses lead on social activities.

I also remember speaking to a pair of financial types staying in Knoydart who told us about all their wealthy pals who were always looking for the next 'sporting' thing to outdo their friends. After Iron Man then the Marathon des Sables what's next?

So maybe these guys have done their research and there really is a market for this. A bit of an insight into how the other 0.001% live.

Post edited at 09:34
 Nic Barber 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Forest Dump:

Spine is about £900 (£600 summer) I think. DB is now £1200 with the 6th day (I helped out in 2019 so have a credit from that event, which was £900). Cape Wrath is closer to £1800 I think.

Helping out on the DB - there were a few people with no idea and out of their depth, timed out at Ogwen on day 1. 'That's me done with ultra, trns out a few hill reps on Parliament Hill isn't sufficient. Oh well on to the next thing' having just dropped £1k on about 30km of running... But it was a very small minority. Events like DB/CW are a bit alien to my fell-running routes but the amount of logistics going into it, you cans see why the fees are what they are. I'm only doing it as I got a helper's fee, and I wanted to do it so made an effort to volunteer.

This Highland kings wank fest looks hilarious. Ranulph f*cking Feines! I respect the special forces but there's a lot of crap pinning it on. Just look at how the military teams fare against Johnny Civilian at the OMM...

Post edited at 10:11
 thommi 26 Jul 2021

Could be the running equivalent of the Fyre Festival!

timjones 26 Jul 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

It's especially funny when you realise that the entrants that have bought all the camo gear to fit in have to pin a large dayglo patch onto their camo backpack

yorkshireman 26 Jul 2021
In reply to thommi:

> Could be the running equivalent of the Fyre Festival!

I reckon you're right. Just because they're asking for 15k doesn't mean they'll get a lot of takers and it will go ahead. Probably just seeing what they can get away with.

Or it, could be classic marketing 101 - anchoring - when you walk into a shop and there is something ludicrously priced that you can't avoid (car showroom, 10k TV in Dixons, or hugely expensive wine on a restaurant menu) it's not to realistically sell it (although that would be nice), it's to make all the other offerings look reasonable in comparison.

thommi 26 Jul 2021
In reply to yorkshireman:

Could be, but the slightly cynical part of me wonders as well if they'll be more of these type of event occurring as the sport becomes more and more popular, especially as an 'idea' amongst the cash rich, time poor crowd. It is a fascinating website though... Not sure why but I found this bit particularly interesting... "...If you can jog for 30minutes, complete a local parkrun or cycle for an hour, we’re confident you can become a Highland King..." Not the usual pre-requisites. A 'new age' of ultra indeed...

thommi 26 Jul 2021
In reply to thommi:

Got to stop looking now, but its my lunch.... pretty sure the eiger isn't part of 'scotland's scenic west coast terrain'.... or maybe their going to bring it over for the event and that's where your 15 big ones goes, which would make the cost very reasonable...

https://www.highland-kings.com/about

Harry Jarvis 26 Jul 2021
In reply to thommi:

Good spot. I've just emailed them to ask why they're using a photo of the Eiger. I shall let you know if they respond. 

Denning76 26 Jul 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

Isn't the thrudark lot the same people who do that SAS show on the telly? People really get off to the whole special forces thing now - they'll buy their jackets and think they are a call of duty character.

I know Inov-8 got one of those SAS tv show guys to advertise their new fancy boots, and couldn't get them made fast enough as a result. Get an SAS guy to wear your stuff, take a photo of him looking moody on a mountain, and no end of people will buy the stuff to wear to Tesco.

Derry 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> Good spot. I've just emailed them to ask why they're using a photo of the Eiger. I shall let you know if they respond. 

I was just about to do the same. In fact, I think I still will!

James Malloch 26 Jul 2021
In reply to thommi:

> Could be, but the slightly cynical part of me wonders as well if they'll be more of these type of event occurring as the sport becomes more and more popular, especially as an 'idea' amongst the cash rich, time poor crowd. It is a fascinating website though... Not sure why but I found this bit particularly interesting... "...If you can jog for 30minutes, complete a local parkrun or cycle for an hour, we’re confident you can become a Highland King..." Not the usual pre-requisites. A 'new age' of ultra indeed...

To be fair, as part of the price, you get 7 months of training/coaching/nutrition stuff included. So a low initial bar might be okay (not that I know anything about running).

Post edited at 14:50
 Harry Jarvis 26 Jul 2021
In reply to thommi:

> Could be, but the slightly cynical part of me wonders as well if they'll be more of these type of event occurring as the sport becomes more and more popular, especially as an 'idea' amongst the cash rich, time poor crowd. 

If you're time-poor, training for an ultra is going to be a challenge. 

Lankyman 26 Jul 2021
In reply to thommi:

> Got to stop looking now, but its my lunch.... pretty sure the eiger isn't part of 'scotland's scenic west coast terrain'.... or maybe their going to bring it over for the event and that's where your 15 big ones goes, which would make the cost very reasonable...

Are you sure that's not Mam Tor with a bit of Photoshopping? Still not Scotland though.

Kalna_kaza 26 Jul 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

>  Thrudark clothing who also trade heavily on that kind of BS. Have a look at their website if you want a laugh.

Wow. Still, if I ever need an expensive warm jacket for that pyrotechnic show during a thunder snow shower I now know where to go. 

Ridge 26 Jul 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> ​​​​​​This always amuses me, the fact that there are grown men (and it is mainly men) who are suckers for anything with that 'special forces' tag.

Shush! I bought my house off the back of spraying my old rack matt black and claiming I used it on the balcony at the Iranian embassy.

Denning76 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Ridge:

Did you put some extra webbing on it to look more 'tactical'?

Post edited at 15:28
 Ridge 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Denning76:

> Did you put some extra webbing on it to look more 'tactical'?

The eclectic mix of 58 pattern belt and odd bits of PLCE was sold separately (which reminds me there's a rotting DPM holster in the shed somewhere).

Denning76 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Ridge:

It's a critical part of the the modern, tacticool, outdoor enthusiast:

• Inov-8, super graphene, ceramic megaboots as worn by SAS guy. In black.
  • Thrudark super tactical clothing, as worn by SAS guy. In black.
  • A black tactical rucksack, preferably with more webbing points than litres of storage.
  • A Red Bull F1 Team baseball cap.
  • A copy of the latest Call of Duty.
  • A fictional friend in the SAS (SBS if you're feeling edgy).
  • A National Trust membership for your weekend visits to Box Hill.
 Ridge 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Denning76:

"Me and Baz, Gaz, Daz, Dinger and Smudge would have made it to the Jordanian Border if the soles hadn't fallen off our Inov-8s"

A. McNab

yorkshireman 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> If you're time-poor, training for an ultra is going to be a challenge. 

I think it depends. Genuinely time-poor people are working three jobs, bringing up their kids and/or caring for relatives.

When people say time poor/cash rich they tend to mean white, middle class people working demanding, but high paying jobs. If you can afford to pay for someone to clean and fix your house and bring up your kids then fitting in training is probably not too hard even if you're working 50 hour weeks - especially as if you're in a more senior role you likely have more flexibility in your work schedule than someone worse off. 

That said, the main reason not to do the race in the OP, is a bit like the main reason not to go on a cruise or play golf - you will end up spending time with the kinds of people attracted to those activities.

thommi 26 Jul 2021

You are absolutely correct. I didn't think the term through properly, although I know what I meant in my head. I think what I meant was, busy types, with plenty of disposable income, as opposed to folk who have a lot of time to dedicate to training, but nowhere near 15 grand to throw at an event. Of course there are a whole bunch of people in between... Poor choice of phrase, apologies.

"That said, the main reason not to do the race in the OP, is a bit like the main reason not to go on a cruise or play golf - you will end up spending time with the kinds of people attracted to those activities." 

Yup... well put. That and not having 15 grand.

Michael Hood 26 Jul 2021
In reply to thommi:

£15k for 120 miles, that's £125/mile.

Not what I'd call good value for money.

yorkshireman 26 Jul 2021
In reply to thommi:

I know what you meant, wasn't having a pop

Anyway, puts the 290€ I paid for the UTMB in perspective. Reckon I've hit my entry fee ceiling now. 

drdjpower 26 Jul 2021

This is horrible.

I've just got back from a £100ish 110+ mile ultra with the best client journey anyone could ask for - we had soup, we had Haribo, we had cheese toasties, and we had fun. I know I have more money than sense, but... jeepers. Horrible.

drdjpower 26 Jul 2021
In reply to drdjpower:

Edit: I've just CONQUERED a £100ish 110+ mile ultra etc. #highlandkings #warrior #strength

geordiepie 26 Jul 2021

I wish the organisers the very best of luck extracting as much money as possible from any fool who signs up for this.

Denning76 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Ridge:

Guessing Chris Ryan had Walshes.

Derry 27 Jul 2021
In reply to thommi:

> Got to stop looking now, but its my lunch.... pretty sure the eiger isn't part of 'scotland's scenic west coast terrain'.... or maybe their going to bring it over for the event and that's where your 15 big ones goes, which would make the cost very reasonable...

It would seem they've replaced the Eiger with something more Scottish. 

I emailed asking why the Eiger is on their website and the quickly came back asking to highlight which page it was on, and lo-and-behold, it had changed. Rumbled!

Lankyman 27 Jul 2021
In reply to Derry:

That is the Buachaille. Not a bad picture.

Dark-Cloud 27 Jul 2021
In reply to drdjpower:

> ....we had cheese toasties

Tilberthwaite by any chance ?

mondite 27 Jul 2021

> I reckon you're right. Just because they're asking for 15k doesn't mean they'll get a lot of takers and it will go ahead.

They arent asking for many takers though just 40. I reckon they would stand a chance of getting it from the sort of person who thinks being guided up Everest or doing an Ironman is now a bit common and has plenty of cash to spend on some exclusive.

As for the Thrudark website. That cursor....

I am tempted by their skull and crossbones socks though with the text blabbering on about "no quarter". Something I have always thought important when selecting socks.

Dark-Cloud 27 Jul 2021
In reply to mondite:

That Thrudark website is hilarious, I thought it was Victoria Pendleton on there too, seems I was right, good grief what is she thinking....

https://thrudark.com/people/vp-bio/

Post edited at 14:01
 Denning76 27 Jul 2021
In reply to mondite:

40 people is still £600k revenue. They're going to be making bank. Yeah you get an outdated Garmin that once was worth £1,400 but still...

Post edited at 14:13
 drdjpower 27 Jul 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Lush, weren't they? In paper bags. I felt like royalty! "Fine dining" at its best.

DaveHK 27 Jul 2021

I bet they won't be providing foot shaped plastic bags like the LAMM did.

Dark-Cloud 27 Jul 2021
In reply to drdjpower:

Didn't have one, I couldn't keep anything solid down, last thing I ate was the stew at Chapelstile and that appeared again at Blea Tarn!

Derry 27 Jul 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> That is the Buachaille. Not a bad picture.

a very worthy replacement!

ebdon 28 Jul 2021

Oh God, they've made BBC news BBC News - 'Luxury' race will be among most expensive on earth
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57975285

mountainbagger 28 Jul 2021
In reply to ebdon:

> Oh God, they've made BBC news BBC News - 'Luxury' race will be among most expensive on earthhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57975285

I saw that. Is it our fault for talking about it on here???

Denning76 28 Jul 2021

Perhaps I am wrong but I do not see a mandatory kit list anywhere on there website. Cause for concern in itself. I wouldn't trust a group who thought the Eiger was on the Scottish coast to ensure I was safe.

Lankyman 28 Jul 2021
In reply to Denning76:

> Perhaps I am wrong but I do not see a mandatory kit list anywhere on there website. Cause for concern in itself

Don't worry. Your butler will ensure that all your kit is ironed and laid out each morning.

wercat 28 Jul 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> Don't worry. Your butler will ensure that all your kit is ironed and laid out each morning.

by participants who only pay the serf-grade entry fee?

GraB 28 Jul 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

So you don't call sharing a small tent on a busy campsite, long queues for the showers, a tin of mackeral for your pre-race breakfast "luxury"?? Eh? Best race ever though. 

DaveHK 28 Jul 2021
In reply to GraB:

It's not luxury but it is fun!

Jayhigh 28 Jul 2021

But come on, you do get "sweat composition testing", whatever that is...

Where's the Corinthian spirit in all this?

What piece of hyperbole. Sad and hilarious at the same.

Makes me nostalgic for the days when I just turned up at a fell race, paid a couple of quid. Belted round as fast as I could, possibly got lost or fell in a bog. Struggled to get changed in the car followed by a pint in a local pub to swap notes with other runners. I don't feel I'm missing anything with this event.

M

bouldery bits 28 Jul 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> That Thrudark website is hilarious, I thought it was Victoria Pendleton on there too, seems I was right, good grief what is she thinking....

The stuff on that website looks mountain warehouse quality. 

Denning76 28 Jul 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

Yeah but you can have a crosshairs cursor and claim to be part of some brotherhood, like a midlife crisis monk.

Ridge 28 Jul 2021

> The stuff on that website looks mountain warehouse quality. 

On the plus side, it's signature equipment for complete fantasists and Walter Mittys.

Lankyman 28 Jul 2021

> The stuff on that website looks mountain warehouse quality. 

Do you mind? I'm just sitting on a bench having a coffee in my MW shirt and boots. With my Ronhills and disintegrating fleece I feel invincible and empowered. Just like a Highland King!

Garethza 28 Jul 2021

Is ThruDark just Jottnar in Special Forces Black?

Ridge 28 Jul 2021
In reply to Garethza:

> Is ThruDark just Jottnar in Special Forces Black?

Dunno, but their website is the gift that keeps on giving:

We take an inclusive but exclusive approach to our customers.

Erm...

Denning76 28 Jul 2021
In reply to Garethza:

The name sounds more like it should be a headtorch.

RX-78 28 Jul 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

I'm going to use this to estimate how much money I save when I do a unorganized run, so on Sunday I did a 8 mile trail run along the coastal path near lulworth cove, that's £1,000 saved! Cool.

mondite 28 Jul 2021
In reply to Jayhigh:

> But come on, you do get "sweat composition testing", whatever that is...

Good point. I have booked on. Just need to turn up seriously hung over to that test to see how that influences the proposed training program.

mondite 28 Jul 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> We take an inclusive but exclusive approach to our customers.

Have you got lots of money and no sense plus despite being a successful business person a deep regret you didnt sign up for the army? Then welcome dear customer regardless of your colour, creed or gender.

Post edited at 17:05
 Fat Bumbly2 28 Jul 2021

With the Scottish Six Days almost upon us, methinks some orienteers may be missing a trick or two. With some Hundred style rebranding and removing the awkward map stuff (we are dealing with 15k for a run is OK intellects here), there is a fool/money uncoupling opportunity here.

Thank frak orienteering had its heyday in the 1970s. It was always affordable.

dread-i 28 Jul 2021

I dont want to rain on their parade (see what I did there), but they've publicised the route and dates. That's a fail in any military planners book.

Its been a long, long time since we had a UKC meet up. Now what I'm proposing is a series of meet ups, over several days, along a route in Scotland...

deepsoup 28 Jul 2021

I was just having a poke about the organisers' website.  This one will win them a few fans on here I expect..
https://primal-adventures.com/adventure/north-coast-500-in-a-supercar/

Fat Bumbly2 28 Jul 2021
In reply to dread-i:

Stand by the roadside shouting “show us yer watch suckers”?

as for the SuperCar… had a real laugh a few years back at Gairnshiel when a rally of penile substitutes came up from Ballater to share the Shenval Brae with that expensive LEJOG event.  Ferraris, that tractor make I can’t spell etc.. chugging behind  hundreds of roadies up a steep hill

Post edited at 22:24
 Harry Jarvis 29 Jul 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> I was just having a poke about the organisers' website.  This one will win them a few fans on here I expect..https://primal-adventures.com/adventure/north-coast-500-in-a-supercar/

They may be in for an uncomfortable surprise. I was driving on the NC500 last summer between Applecross and Shieldaig and came across a low-slung sportscar struggling with the lumps and bumps on the road surface just north of Applecross. The sheep on the road were proving an additional hazard. Not quite the fast-driving, free-flowing experience they may have been hoping for. 

tlouth7 30 Jul 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> ​​​​​​Thrudark clothing who also trade heavily on that kind of BS. Have a look at their website if you want a laugh.

Aaargh now I am seeing adverts for their clothing all over the internet. Damn you cookies.

DaveHK 30 Jul 2021

Do you think if I volunteered to marshal I'd get a free place the following year? That's how it usually works.

Lankyman 30 Jul 2021

In reply to AddisonKorczynski:

> It's really strange.

You certainly are, Addison, you little chatterbot ....

Denning76 31 Jul 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

If you're lucky you may get a THRUDARK voucher for 20% off of any orders over £150. 20% off a pair of socks is never something to sniff at, even if you'd only get one pair for the money.

Post edited at 01:29
 CantClimbTom 31 Jul 2021

Ideal... you could probably land your helicopter by arrangement. And while you're up there play a round at Troon and another at Trump Turnberry.

Have you booked Steve?

OP SouthernSteve 31 Jul 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Have you booked Steve?

A bit cheap and sounds like a grunge fest! I hope to be doing LIAD later this year, a classy event!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...