UKC

Cool weather top

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chriswhoruns 24 Oct 2021

Now the temperature’s  started to drop I’m on the lookout for new long sleeve trail running top / mid layer. 
I tend to run a little warm, but am thinking that something with some wind-proofing or shower resistance would be good, but not essential. I quite like the look of the OMM core kit but am a little concerned with its longevity. 
if the weather gets too windy or wet I’m usually carrying a waterproof in a running vest. 
Does any of you beautiful people have any suggestions, probably top out around £85. 
TIA

Levy_danny 24 Oct 2021
In reply to Chriswhoruns:

I run really hot but absolutely love my Patagonia Houdini air, it’s wind proof and slightly shower proof (although I don’t think it’s advertised as such) really breathable. I love it and would definitely buy again. 

SouthernSteve 24 Oct 2021

I tend to use a long sleeved technical top bought for the hills. I have a nice OMM top, but the body length is rubbish and reveals my midriff (I am not considered overweight) so is not ideal. I won't buy another one. If you are long in the body Salomon tops are a good shape, but their prices seems to be even worse recently than before

OP Chriswhoruns 24 Oct 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

I’m usually a fan of Salomon, but as you say the prices are getting silly. 

echo34 24 Oct 2021

I use a UA cold gear long sleeve under a Montane Allez When less than 3°c, feels fairly good against most cold weather and fairly wind resistant.

feathlite trail vest works well over the top as required too

greg_may_ 24 Oct 2021

I have a Patagonia Airshed Pro and I rate it highly. I was exceptionally sceptical of it (wife bought it for me) but it has become one of my go to pieces of kit. Single top under it, and I can happily run down to very cold temps in it. The Capaline arms and hood work wonders when it's cold. But, it offers little to no use when stopped as the core area is made of just Houdini material. 

I also have a Rab Vapour Rise running jacket (few seasons old now) that I swear by for really cold running. It's honestly wonderful. 

Kryank 25 Oct 2021

I have a mountain equipment ignis long sleeve zip top that I love, if it’s cold I use my trusty Rab Borealis jacket, but I swear by it for any high intensity stuff when it’s cold / windy.

wbo2 25 Oct 2021

Personally I've been using a thermal top with a Kraft running fluoro gilet for the last few years, add a thin fleece or go to a rain jacket instead if it's very cold.

Nic Barber 25 Oct 2021

I tend to go for a thermal top with a T-shirt for a bit of wind protection. Jacket over the top (gauge dependent on prevailing conditions) if extra protection is needed. I'm not really sold on mid-layers, they seem a bit all-or-nothing and not as adaptable as a couple of thinner bottom layers and a shell layers. but then I do do run hot. And am a cheapskate.

Forest Dump 25 Oct 2021

Alpkit Laika and you can get 2 for your budget.

Zipped collar to dump heat, and thumb loops which make everything warmer!

Ridge 25 Oct 2021
In reply to Forest Dump:

> Alpkit Laika and you can get 2 for your budget.

> Zipped collar to dump heat, and thumb loops which make everything warmer!

Tends to get sodden with rain/sweat in my experience. Great for walking, but not as good for running (in my case anyway).

Justaname 25 Oct 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> Tends to get sodden with rain/sweat in my experience. Great for walking, but not as good for running (in my case anyway).

I was going to reply to say that I have 2 weights of top, Autmun / Spring weight tops (e.g. Inov8 ATC Mid weight) and something thicker / heavier for the Winter, for which I find the Laika ideal. It does get sweaty if its not cold enough agreed (is this because its too warm or is the material not very breathable?), and it also has a strange anti-bacterial smell the first few times its used, but for sheer warmth its great value for money, and covering the wrists does make a big difference for staying warm, which the Inov8 has too. The 

Forest Dump 25 Oct 2021
In reply to Ridge:

Ahh, I like mine for the colder mornings (December - Feb) and being a sweaty git everything gets damp eventually anyway. Though I find it holds its warmth damp too.

Run_Ross_Run 25 Oct 2021

If its really cold with no chance of rain then I run in my Montane Allez Hoodie, awesome bit of kit. Perfect blend of breathability and warmth (not windproof though so stopping on top of a mountain in the wind isn't recommended for long).

Use it with a feather lite type of shell and you've got a pretty good combo. 

Dr.S at work 25 Oct 2021

very thin long sleeved baselayer over a brynje style rapha top - manages sweat well and the airgap means less windchill.

inboard 26 Oct 2021

If you’re interested in the Patagonia Houdini Air a few have mentioned… I’d also recommend it, it’s a great top for all seasons, showerproof, good wind resistance, breathable.

I have a spare one - turned out the Large was too large for me; it’s had about a week of use and is in excellent condition. Would be a bargain ££ compared to new. In Chartreuse Yellow. Happy to share photos if you PM me.

PPP 26 Oct 2021

Arcteryx Incendo has been my favourite wind shell for the task. 

I typically wouldn’t bother taking it for shorter runs or races, but it’s been my companion for a 8hr mountain ultra and Ramsay Round with some snow showers at 1200m+. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...