UKC

Decathlon trail shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 olliehales 30 Jan 2019

Anyone used any of the below trail shoes from Decathlon and are they any good? Durable? Will be predominantly used for fast & light hiking but perhaps for the occasional short run. 

Was looking at Salomon GTX trainers originally but they are more than twice the price. I am not fussed by the goretex liner either.

Trail 'runners':

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/kiprun-trail-xt7-m-blue-bronze-id_8513387.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/kiprun-trail-tr-m-blue-yellow-id_8513302.html

Trail 'hikers':

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/fh500-helium-mens-shoes-id_8493832.html

Cheers

RX-78 30 Jan 2019
In reply to olliehales:

Have a pair of the old version of their top range trail runners, really like them. 

Andy Johnson 30 Jan 2019
In reply to olliehales:

No experience of their walking shoes, but I'm on my third pair of Decathlon running shoes. I find they're ok but last only about half as long as comparable shoes from more upmarket companies (like Salomon). Mainly soles come un-glued or mesh panels split along the stitching.

I've concluded that Decathlon shoes are ok for children who will outgrow them before they wear out, but for me the cost saving just isn't there. Plus a trashed running shoe is an environmental/recycling nightmare. Sometimes cheap is just cheap.

r0b 30 Jan 2019
In reply to RX-78:

Me too, I've worn them in fell races and on Bob Graham legs and think they're great. If they've changed them now I'm very glad I picked up a backup pair for £45 just before Christmas!

These are probably closest to the ones I have: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/kiprun-trail-mt-m-black-bronze-id_8545328.html

Qwertilot 30 Jan 2019
In reply to olliehales:

As always with shoes - do they fit? If so then worth at least trying, if not then no.

Andy Johnson 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Andy Johnson:

> Mainly soles come un-glued or mesh panels split along the stitching.

I should have added that I'd be concerned about a trail shoe failing in a similar way when on the hill.

Ferret 30 Jan 2019
In reply to olliehales:

Looks like design has changed a bit so my comments may not directly compare any more but.....

I'm in a pair of Kiprun Trail of some sort from roughly 2 years ago...
They fit (for me) the same as Salomon shoes and in terms of longevity they have currently got about 800 kms on them and are fine... some slight signs that mesh may split at some point but soles bombproof and unworn... and they are in much the same condition wear wise as 2 pairs of speedcross 4s that I'm also using that have about the same distance on each of them too.

SGD 30 Jan 2019
In reply to olliehales:

Our local Ultimate Outdoors is currently selling various adidas terrex trail shoes for around the same price as the decathlon version (£59.99). But if you are a bmc member you will get 15% off. They have a few different versions some are GoreTex and others aren't. 

r0b 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Andy Johnson:

I've never had any durability problems with Decathlon trail running shoes, or any of their kit for that matter.

goose299 30 Jan 2019
In reply to olliehales:

I know they don't always have all the sizes but you can pick up the big brands ie Hoka and Inov8 for not much more on Sportshoes. 

eg a quick google shows the Roclite 290's for only £60 and available in most sizes

mbh 30 Jan 2019
In reply to r0b:

Nor have I with all sorts of Decathlon kit - except their running shoes, as it happens, which I haven't yet tried.

I don't find any correlation between the price I pay for a pair of running shoes and its longevity.

Longevity isn't the only thing, but does price in this market have little to do with quality, I wonder,  and much more to do with whatever people can be persuaded to pay, for whatever reason?

The New NickB 30 Jan 2019
In reply to olliehales:

I’ve been using a similar model to the top shoe shown for the last 12 month, maybe the TX6.

I have not done super high mileage in them, maybe a couple of hundred miles. No signs of wear, which I have certainly had with Salomon, Innov8 and Brooks. I liked them enough to risk buying a pair of lightweight racers for the road from Decathlon, which I have also done a couple of hundred miles in over the last month and they are also wearing well.  

Post edited at 17:36
OP olliehales 31 Jan 2019

Thanks all for the responses! Will go for them based on the mostly positive consensus

mbh 01 Feb 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

200 miles in January Nick - good start to the year!

The New NickB 01 Feb 2019
In reply to mbh:

> 200 miles in January Nick - good start to the year!

Not quite, it's actually been a slightly slower start to the year than usual, but I did get some miles in them before the turn of the year as well.

ianstevens 01 Feb 2019
In reply to mbh:

> Nor have I with all sorts of Decathlon kit - except their running shoes, as it happens, which I haven't yet tried.

> I don't find any correlation between the price I pay for a pair of running shoes and its longevity.

> Longevity isn't the only thing, but does price in this market have little to do with quality, I wonder,  and much more to do with whatever people can be persuaded to pay, for whatever reason?

I would disagree completely - my S/Labs, which RRP at an eyewatering £150 (£90 in practice) are markedly better than every pair of £50-60 (RRP £80ish) pair of shoes I've had for training. More precise, better grip, lighter, faster transition etc etc.  

Post edited at 14:15
 Wee Davie 01 Feb 2019
In reply to olliehales:

I haven't run in any Decathlon shoes but have own a pair of their waterproof- lined trail walking/ approach shoes (different to the ones you're linking to). I've had them for about 3 years and they're still going strong despite daily use. Managed to pick them up for £20 in a sale too. 

Euge 04 Feb 2019
In reply to olliehales:

Not Decathalon... but I got a pair of Karrimor Caracal from Sports Direct.

Did 13 miles on a rough trail straight out of the box and they were so comfortable.

Also did 13miles on a snowy path this weekend and they were brilliant.

Euge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...