UKC

Does a wide-fit, lightweight trail shoe exist?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Leo Roberts 27 May 2020

Hallo all,

Frequent lurker, first time poster. My trusty New Balance trail shoes are finally giving up the ghost so I have the unenviable task of trying to find a new pair during lockdown...

I'm after a bit of collective wisdom - does anyone have any advice on trail shoes which are both wide and lightweight? Of those I've come across so far with a wide option (or just a v wide toebox), most are in the gigantic clodhopper heavy-cushioning/support vein, and I'm after something quick and lightweight. Anyone know anything about the Nike Air Zoom Terra Kiger? Or any other tips?

Any advice appreciated!

Leo

Roadrunner6 27 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

I find saucony Peregrines pretty wide, not super light but not bad.

jockster 27 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

Altra Lone Peak

Neil Williams 27 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

Inov8 probably do something.  The only shoes of theirs I've found to be narrowish are the hiking boots (unusually in those I had to go up to a 14, I'm normally a 13).

alisonk 27 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

Another vote for Altra , I use the Superiors but haven't tried the 4's yet. 

girlymonkey 27 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

Altra are great

steveriley 27 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

I've just got some Terraultra 260, happily on offer, Inov8's widest fit and fairly light.

Post edited at 16:36
OP Leo Roberts 27 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

Tidy, thanks for all the tips. Now to run the gauntlet of buying shoes online and inevitably having to send the first 3 pairs back...

druss 27 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

Recommend Altra Lone Peak 4.5 for rougher terrain and the Superior 4.0 for dusty paths and shorter runs.

You may want to look at Inov-8 Terraultra which is their widest shoe, but is firmer underfoot.  I don't own a pair but were comfortable in the shop.  Decided on Altra's to try bit more cushion but would've been happy with either in regards to width.

SouthernSteve 27 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

Altra get a good set of recommendations, but do check the heel drop is not markedly different from that you are used to or before prepared to have to get your calf muscles a little longer! Altra are all zero drop I think. 

steelbru 27 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

Inov8 market their shoe width on a range 1-5, with 5 being the widest.

The trailtalon 235 ( where 235 indicates weight in a size 9 I think ) is a width 4

It's also a 4mm drop ( 11mm heel, 7mm forefoot ) so pretty low to the ground, depends if you want ground feel or more cushioning ??

There's a v2 just out, which I read somewhere, although still rated width 4, is actually about 5mm narrower in the forefoot. Amazon still has a full range of sizes in the v1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inov8-Trailtalon-Trail-Running-Shoes/dp/B073VRBSZ1...

Edit : it's actually Sportsshoes doing the selling via Amazon, works out a coupl eof quid cheaper if you go direct https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ino1293/inov8-trailtalon-235-trail-runn...

Post edited at 17:12
 The New NickB 27 May 2020
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> Altra get a good set of recommendations, but do check the heel drop is not markedly different from that you are used to or before prepared to have to get your calf muscles a little longer! Altra are all zero drop I think. 

I immediately thought of Altra when I saw this post, they look very wide, it's very noticeable. However, as you say zero drop, so won't be for everyone, me included.

OP Leo Roberts 27 May 2020
In reply to steelbru:

I've got a pretty high arch so have been wary of zero drop, but have previously had a few pairs I've loved, and seems like the Terraultra 260 have enough support. Going to try to hunt down a shop that's open at the moment and try some on.

artif 27 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

Vivobarefoot Primus or Magna

https://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/outdoor

GMohr 27 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

I have a pair of the Terraultra 260's and have put about 100miles through them. They are nice and wide in the toe box for me and surprisingly very light for the way they look. They are quite firm underfoot though, I haven't noticed it that much when on trails and rough heathery nonsense etc but on pavement or road they can feel a bit jarring after a while. 

They are what I use if i'm going out for a longer run and I know there is going to be a right mix of terrain from pavement to hard packed trail, gravel, grass slopes, heathery/ boggy nonsense. 

vscott 27 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

Topo another brand very similar to Altra (very wide, zero drop) - personally find both Topo and Altra a bit clumpy feeling. Otherwise and more nimble feeling, find Salomon sense reasonably wide - also a wide version of the speedcross available, VJ maxx also worth considering, or as above Saucony peregrine (iso and newer 10 models) also feel quite wide fitting and aren’t too heavy and run well. 

nufkin 28 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

The Sportiva Bushidos seem to work quite for my fairly blunt feet. It might depend how 'trail' you want to go, though - they're great for rough paths, I think, but don't really have the lug depth for deep mud

mbh 28 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

Topo Terraventures are pretty wide for the toes and light too, though I don't know what you call light.

However the uppers on mine starting shredding after a couple of hundred miles. 

The latest version looks chunkier than the pair I had, but are only 8g heavier than the Peregrines.

r0b 28 May 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

Inov8 Trailtalon 290 are quite a wide fit

Lilsarrah 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Leo Roberts:

Another vote for Altra! Even though I myself just bought my first pair (King MT) now, they are very light and have super wide and comfy toe box. Now, it depends what running shoes you are used to - I have been running mostly trails in Vivobarefoot for couple of years now so for me Zero drop (Altra do only zero drop shoes) and wide front part of the shoe is essential. To be honest, I would not look for another shoe if I don't need more aggressive grip for muddy downhill terrains. From reviews I read and discussions I had with some ultrarunners it seems that Lone Peak is their nr one shoe. I went for King MT due to some personal preferences. To summarise - if you are looking for a lightweight trail running shoe, Altra is definitely perfect option, just be careful with the zero drop - if you are used to high drop, jumping straight to zero drop might not be the healthiest option (Inov8 have many various options and very good reviews, but no personal experience). If you are used to zero drop, go for Altra. (And if you are used to zero drop, running rather long distances then sprinting, preferring more trails then pavements and not looking for super aggressive grip, think about trying Vivobarefoot, but then be patient with the transition barefoot shoes usually need )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...