UKC

Does anybody get runner's itch so bad that it's too painful to run?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 montyjohn 23 May 2022

I've asked this question on a few forums before, but never on UKC so thought I'd have a go.

I've had this issue for about 20 years now, where when I run, I start getting a really bad itch. It starts in my calvs and thighs, and works it way up to my gluts and waist. If I ignore, it gets so bad it reduces me to a heap on the floor almost trying to peel my skin off. Itch is probably the wrong word for it at that point. Pushing through it is not an option.

It appears to be something to do with vibration. The impact from running. When I used to cycle, I got it a bit on my arms on bumpy routes through the handlebars. Sometimes when I'm particularly inactive, I get it form walking on a high street, however, I find staying active mostly keeps this at bay. 

I recently discovered that I don't get it hill running, I believe because running up a hill has less impact. Although I'm not entirely clear why hill running doesn't appear to bring out the effects. Even after months of hill running, still can't run on flat ground.

GP's don't know what it is. I've had blood tests with nothing unusual coming back. They don't know what to do with me after that.

Anti histamines don't work.

Building up a tolerance doesn't work. It helps a bit, but takes months to build a small tolerance (very small) which can be lost in a week or two so not sustainable.

I've tried elimination diets, with a focus on alcohol, coffee, eggs etc but couldn't find a relationship.

It may be slightly worse when cold, but not clear on that. Possibly also worse if tired.

Plenty forums out there with lots of people suffering the same thing, but none have any answers.

Long shot, but anyone on here suffer with this issue and have a magical solution.

Ciro 23 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

If you think it's down to impact maybe look at your biomechanics? 

IMO, fastest way to stop hitting the ground too hard is to take your shoes off and run with bare feet. If you try that, take it slow to begin with as it'll take the shock load from your skeleton and move it into the soft tissues - which is what nature designed them for but they'll take a while to adjust. 

OP montyjohn 23 May 2022
In reply to Ciro:

> If you think it's down to impact maybe look at your biomechanics? 

I have made an effort to run "softer" as a form of experimenting but it didn't seem to make a difference. I really don't know why. This is why I find it really odd that running up a hill doesn't cause the itch.

I wouldn't say I run hard footed or anything.

It does seems quite inconsistent. It may be there's something else going on that I just haven't figured out yet.

As for running bare foot, as a long time flat foot sufferer it wouldn't be a sensible move for me I'm afraid.

philipjardine 23 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

MRI of lumbosacral spine/cauda equina?

Moacs 23 May 2022
In reply to philipjardine:

> MRI of lumbosacral spine/cauda equina?

This.  Tingling/itching that appears only on shock loading exercise?  Check your back

greg_may_ 23 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

I've never heard of this, but would be wondering about why I'm getting a feedback loop that has nothing to do with the action I'm performing. Ex-biomechanist is puzzled as to why this would happen! 

philipjardine 23 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

Relief of symptoms when going up hill is typically seen in neurogenic claudication due to spinal stenosis (probably due to flexed posture).  Go and see a good spinal surgeon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...