UKC

Endurance tactics - opinions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rampikino 07 May 2018

I’m doing an endurance event in June.

12 hours long. Teams of 2. Loops of 5km.  Each runners hands off to the other so running alone. No more than 3 loops by a runner I. A single stint.

we had been considering alternating 5km loops for the 12 hours, but keen to get other viewpoints. 

Any thoughts?

Dave B 07 May 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

I think that 5 k is to short, especially if you are taking about 30-35 mins to do it.

I know it's different, but in long duration mtb events at least an hour is a good length of time to do things... Stretch out, eat, loo stop, change if needed. Then each time you'll go through the warm up process and so on... 

OP Rampikino 07 May 2018
In reply to Dave B:

That was the other thought - do 10k stretches instead and then have an hour to recover, refuel and stretch.  I just wonder if we can maintain that for the 12 hours or whether we will later revert to 5k loops.

The 10k approach seems logical though.  Thanks.

summo 07 May 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

I'd do 1 lap first each... chance to warm up and stretch, get a feel for it. Then revert to 10km. The time between a single lap would just disappear as you'll want to be in place ready a few mins early, you'd barely get chance to stretch or have a dump.. fix a twisted sock etc.. 

OP Rampikino 07 May 2018
In reply to summo:

I like the idea, though there is a parkrun in the location one hour before the start...

The New NickB 07 May 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

Trailblaster at Towneley Park?

Been toying with the idea as well, but probably the 6 hour event, so quite different tactically. I’d say start with 5k each then a few 10k stints each and then just see how each person is feeling. Individuals are likely to feel stronger at different times, being intelligent about that in a relay event can make a real difference.

OP Rampikino 07 May 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

The Burnley one...

tonanf 07 May 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

sounds like a good challenge. not done something that l9ng but i would have thought aome longer breaks for eats and rest would be good. 5k in 30 mins est. so do a 15 k twice in the event for two good breaks.

In reply to Rampikino:

> The Burnley one...

Yes

wbo 07 May 2018
In reply to tonanf:that's a good schedule or 5k X 3 then a 10.  Just doing 10ks or longer is guaranteed slow and I suspect will feel very hard

XXXX 07 May 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

Do 5ks. 10k is too long a break, your legs will get really stiff. Maybe schedule one or two long ones for eating. 

OP Rampikino 07 May 2018

So are you in or out?

OP Rampikino 07 May 2018
In reply to XXXX:

I get that, but will 30 mins be long enough rest at a time?

In reply to Rampikino:

> So are you in or out?

Will decide after the Edinburgh Marathon.

XXXX 07 May 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

30 mins run 30 mins rest seems plenty to me. What are you planning on doing other than a drink and a poo? 60 mins is just time standing around whilst your muscles get cold. 

DancingOnRock 08 May 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

You’ll need to eat. 

I’ve done Endure 24 with a team of 5, they’re 8km laps. 

15k sounds a good balance between running and eating/recovering. 

Make sure you either prep your food before your laps or have someone ready with food so you can eat as soon as you finish your laps. 

Take it easy from the outset. If you do 40miles each you’re going well. 

OP Rampikino 08 May 2018
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Yes - we are aiming for 60km each across the 12 hours.  Preparation will be key - having everything we need to hand so we can maximise the time off our feet.

At this moment I think we are leaning towards 10k loops.

OP Rampikino 08 May 2018

Good luck.  We are doing the 12 hour day event as a pair.  If you do happen to go for it then give me a shout.

OP Rampikino 08 May 2018
In reply to XXXX:

I guess it's a combination of things, and not having done this kind of thing before is an interesting experiment.

A couple of years ago I ran 2 5k races 2 hours apart and then paced Manchester 10k afterwards at 60 mins.  I felt great!

In reply to Rampikino:

You could always plan out which laps to do as singles, doubles and triples and when to eat. Eg start with doubles, have a couple of triples when it’s food time then go to singles towards the end when you’re tired. 

wbo 08 May 2018
In reply to DancingOnRock: Fwiw this sort of race has sometimes been called a paarlauf and on the track a 15minute paarlauf race is utterly brutal. I did think they'd been a pre war Olympic event alongside tug of war and rope climbing but sadly that's not true

In reply to wbo:

Paarlaufs are much shorter 200-300m. 

OP Rampikino 08 May 2018

True, though the only issue is that the more you chop and change the lengths of the stints, someone has to have a shorter break (temporarily) which has to be factored in.

In reply to Rampikino:

Yes. But once you get into the high miles you may find it better from a competitive point of view to run for 5k and then rest for 40mins. Otherwise your 10k or 15k effort would probably turn into a run/walk effort, easier for you, but slower. 

OP Rampikino 08 May 2018

True enough.  10 hours in and I'm likely to be considering run/walk anyway! 

wbo 08 May 2018
In reply to DancingOnRock:no paarlauf are races where you run race with X people for a set time.  The distance is usually up to you.  

I've done plenty of 300 with 100 jog back to take over

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...