UKC

Fell runs near Bassenthwaite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 J Brown 24 Jul 2021

Hello Everyone, 

It's my first post here in ages... but I was just wondering if anyone could help with recommendations for a couple of fell routes for running near Bassenthwaite (partly so I can make sure I've got the right map extracts).  I'm not in great shape at the moment, and will be limited in time with family holiday stuff etc, but I'm sure I could get away for a couple of hours. 

We're staying at the Kestrel Lodge campsite near Bassenthwaite.  I thought Skiddaw looked like it could be a good outing, but I'd love to know any tips from local runners, or anyone who knows the area.  Also happy to drive for 20/30 minutes to get to a good route.

I live in Scotland and my only experience of running in the Lakes was the Grasmere Guides Race a few years ago.

Many thanks,

Jamie.

SouthernSteve 24 Jul 2021
In reply to J Brown:

Have a look at going up the smaller hills at the back of the Skiddaw - the Cock-ups etc. There is good running there. Coming back towards Skiddaw (Cumbrian Way) along the valley can be a glorious route when the heather is full on.

steveriley 24 Jul 2021
In reply to J Brown:

Skiddaw is a proper grind up the tourist track till it eases at the gate. Quite rewarding if you don’t mind digging in though. Off Carl Side to Mellbeck is a fun descent, not done it as a climb. The long ridge up Longside edge looks like it might be good? Latrigg is a good quick hit and a good way of beasting yourself in a short time 😁

plyometrics 24 Jul 2021
In reply to steveriley:

Up Longside Edge to Skiddaw is a good shout. Then heading over Sale How to Skiddaw House and then down the trail alongside Dash Beck to Bassenthwaite would be a nice loop for the OP.  

Wainers44 24 Jul 2021
In reply to J Brown:

Back o Skiddaw is all great running country.  Lots of great routes off Caldbeck Common....Longlands Fell, Brae Fell etc or further round up over High Pike. Gt Lingy Hut is always a good target for a drink stop. 

Jack 24 Jul 2021
In reply to J Brown:

From your campsite, head up great cockup and then you've lots of options for as short or as long as you like. For a bit of ascent, up onto skiddaw via bakestall then down to skiddaw House for a steady run back. Binsey for a quick up and down. Watch out for the orthwaite buzzard.........

OP J Brown 25 Jul 2021
In reply to J Brown:

Thanks to you all, I really appreciate your suggestions!

SouthernSteve 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Jack:

Is the buzzard still there? - I wonder if it is the same one or whether offspring? They live about 8 years apparently.

For the OP it on the paths around NY 2508 3420  that this would be an issue.

Pete Pozman 25 Jul 2021
In reply to J Brown:

Sale Fell is a very pleasant outing. I remember the short grass and open aspect. Small enough to get a steep burn without trashing yourself. 3 Birketts and a stunning view of the lake and Skiddaw. 

Jack 25 Jul 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> Is the buzzard still there? - I wonder if it is the same one or whether offspring? They live about 8 years apparently.

It was there last spring I think, or it may have been the year before - I was on my way to Binsey after coming down from great cockup when it swept down on me. It then followed me across the fields, taking a few more dives. It didn't bother me too much on the way back but still followed me from tree to tree.

Worth keeping an eye out if the op is heading that way. Holding a big stick like a flag pole above you will stop them making contact.

steveriley 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Jack:

Funnily enough a friend of mine was bombed last week running locally. Never really thought of it as a thing until now, nervous running past the same spot next day! 

Michael Hood 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Jack:

That's quite unusually aggressive behaviour for a buzzard. They usually fly away into trees on the far side of whatever field/etc you disturb them from.

I was in that area on 2 or 3 days last August (not running) but didn't see any of that kind of behaviour from buzzards.

Post edited at 14:19
 SouthernSteve 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

We were warned when we first stayed in that area and reminded about it the year afterwards. We have quite few around home and don't even think about them except for seeing and particularly hearing them at a distance,

Ridge 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Pete Pozman:

For Sale Fell the OP would be best off parking by the Pheasant Inn (closed at present), then running up through the forestry tracks for a bit of shade. He could also do Ling Fell as well, as an out and back.

Jack 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

> That's quite unusually aggressive behaviour for a buzzard. They usually fly away into trees on the far side of whatever field/etc you disturb them from.

> I was in that area on 2 or 3 days last August (not running) but didn't see any of that kind of behaviour from buzzards.

The orthwaite buzzard has a bit of a reputation for attacking people. There were warning signs by the steps though the wall that led to the paths through the fields. I didn't pay any attention to them and carried on running along before it came at me. It didn't make contact, but it felt close. I held my pack above my head and walked the rest of the way until it lost interest in me.

This was a year or two ago so it may not be a problem now. 

Johnhi 26 Jul 2021
In reply to J Brown:

My favourites local trips out:

Coledale horseshoe makes a nice 2 - 2.5 hrs. 

My favourite but a bigger day would be parking near the top of lattrig, heading over to blencathra, up halls fell (a little scrambling), great cockup, dash falls, Skiddaw and back to the car maybe 4-5 hours.

Driving over to Buttermere,  Grasmoor up the little ridge on the north west edge of face overlooking crummock water is a nice adventurous climb up (minor scrambling looks more intimidating than it is), crag hill (optional),  hopegill head and down whiteside.

Ridge 26 Jul 2021
In reply to Johnhi:

> My favourite but a bigger day would be parking near the top of lattrig, heading over to blencathra, up halls fell (a little scrambling), great cockup, dash falls, Skiddaw and back to the car maybe 4-5 hours.

A shorter option would be park near top of Lattrig or the Blencathra centre (would be my preference), up the Glenderaterra valley and onto Skiddaw house YH, turn West and up over Sale How and to Skiddaw then return via the 'tourist path' to Lattrig/Blencathra centre

Post edited at 11:05
 jpicksley 26 Jul 2021
In reply to steveriley:

Hi Steve,

When I lived in Warrington I got bombed by a buzzard while out running and crossing some fields after running through a copse. Never went that way again. At the time I hadn't appreciated what "silent flying" was but after that incident I did. Scared the absolute crap out of me.

Hope you're well, Mr.

Post edited at 14:48
 steveriley 26 Jul 2021
In reply to jpicksley:

Hey buddy! I'll bet that was alarming. Jane (not that one) has a neat little puncture wound top of her head now. Another friend reports similar from almost exactly a year ago. Suspect it's about the timing of fledgling chicks. Hope your otherwise well!

OP J Brown 30 Jul 2021
In reply to J Brown:

Hi Everyone, 

I just wanted to say thanks so much for all your comments.  I only managed one run in the fells in the end - but it was really good.  We went up to Ullock Pike / Longside Edge, then to Skiddaw - then down to Bakestall and along the Cumbria Way back to the campsite.  Most enjoyable!

Thanks again, 

Jamie.

Ridge 30 Jul 2021
In reply to J Brown:

Sounds like a grand run.

Especially for someone "not in great shape at the moment" 😃

steveriley 30 Jul 2021
In reply to J Brown:

Brilliant, glad it worked out for you! I'm going to try to take a look at Longside Edge myself soon after suggesting it. Not been up that way for a long time and not with a running head - thanks for beta testing

Post edited at 12:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...