UKC

Fenix 6 Maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Levy_danny 22 Jun 2021

Hi All,

I've recently bought a fenix 6 and absolutely love it. I did my first longer run in the lakes yesterday and was a bit dismayed that none of the wainwrights that I was running past were labelled. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for better maps to use, I've looked online but to be honest I'm finding it all a bit consuing.

Thanks

Dan

PPP 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Talky Toaster maps are probably best improvement. 
https://shop.talkytoaster.me.uk/product/tt-150k-look-n-feel-map-for-self-in...

timjones 22 Jun 2021
In reply to PPP:

Spot on, with the added advantage that if you purchase a subscription you can correct any omissions that causing dismay and download the corrected map for your device a few days later.

I also find it easier to carry an OS map for the wider picture stuff such as hill names and an overview of the terrain that lies more than a few metres ahead.

cathsullivan 23 Jun 2021
In reply to Levy_danny:

Another vote for Talky Toaster.  I've been using it on my fenix 6 for a few months now for routes in the Lakes and it is brilliant, and such amazingly good value.  I've found that the quality of turn by turn directions (which don't always mean as much on the fells obviously) differs depending on exactly how you create the gpx.  But the maps themselves are great for a small detailed view.  Like others, I usually also bring something else (a paper map or zoomable OS map on phone) for the bigger picture because the map on the watch screen is a bit too small for planning as you go along and so on.

ianstevens 23 Jun 2021
In reply to PPP:

Description states its 1GB download... how does this fit on a Fenix 6?!?!?

Also worth noting TalkyToaster uses OSM at it's heart - which you can download sections of for free here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ - caveat I've not tried not on a Fenix but works fine on an Edge.

Post edited at 09:36
 PPP 23 Jun 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

> Description states its 1GB download... how does this fit on a Fenix 6?!?!?

Oops yeah Fenix 6 has 64MB internal memory. Fenix 6 Pro has 32GB to allow mapping and music. 

cathsullivan 23 Jun 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

I assume the OP has a 6 pro because I think they wouldn't have mapping if they didn't have the pro.

My understanding is that the TT map uses the open source mapping as it's base but that this is collated or added to (don't really know the right terminology here!) to mean that it has more detail than open street map.  I've found that it has things like gates, summits etc. and this is really useful.

OP Levy_danny 23 Jun 2021
In reply to cathsullivan:

Sorry All, I do indeed have a pro, I'm going to 100% get these maps, it seems a bit more of a faff as I have a map but I don't think it  should be too much effort! I really appreciate the responses. 

ianstevens 23 Jun 2021
In reply to PPP:

Confused myself there re: models. Whoops!

ianstevens 23 Jun 2021
In reply to cathsullivan:

OSM has summits. By default it doesn't have contours but these are easy to add - I'm a little against paying for open source data. That said, I'm a competent GIS user... if you're not, £13 is probably worth it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...