UKC

Finlay wild Tower ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pete123 12 Oct 2018

After watching finlay Wild cruise Tower ridge circuit via NF carpark, it got me thinking. 

Let's say you have average conditions, start at NF carpark, Tower ridge, summit, descend tourist path via half way lochain, arriving back at start. 

What would be considered a good pace? 

Thanks 

Pete 

In reply to pete123:

Sub 5 hours

OP pete123 12 Oct 2018
In reply to fromsinkingships:

Would sub 5hrs not be more of a walk?, if looking at the tourist route for instance, a sub 2hr is considerd a good time. 

I was thinking more on the lines of somewhere between 2hrs 15min to 3hrs..

Thanks 

Pete

OP pete123 12 Oct 2018
In reply to pete123:

Using naismith rule, 5k per hour and +1hr every 600m =5.hr or slighlty over.

I never ment to suggest 5hrs was easy...

Pete 

Rick Graham 12 Oct 2018
In reply to pete123:

Last time I did that route getting back from the halfway lochan to the dam was a real bog fest. Far nicer to descent by the abseil posts. Would this take longer?

OP pete123 12 Oct 2018
In reply to Rick Graham:

Thats a tricky one, on Wednesday I decided to take the half way lochain decent and didn't mind the bog fest. I welcomed the soft contact underfoot. When it's greasy or wet the absail post decent is an ankle breaker... Well it is for me,being a heavy 92kg atm...

I really want to know, whats a realistic goal to aim for.. Knowing the route better and getting back to 80kg should see me shave a bit off the time.. 

Post edited at 18:36
Removed User 12 Oct 2018
In reply to pete123:

My guess:

Car Park > Tower Ridge - 1 1/4 h (3.5 miles, 2500 ft of ascent)

Tower Ridge - 40 minutes

Top > Car Park - 45 minutes

2 hours 40 minutes

Is this a sweepstake?

EuanM 12 Oct 2018
In reply to pete123:

Difficult one. 

My round trip from NF carpark to CIC hut time is 1hr 15 mins. Don’t have the split just to the hut. 

I’d be happy with sub 3 

OP pete123 12 Oct 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks, appreciate your feedback.. 

Not a sweepstake.. ???? Just motivation to get fit for winter.. Loosing weight is the bonus..

Pete 

OP pete123 12 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Yea, that's pretty impressive..

Thanks 

Pete 

Removed User 12 Oct 2018
In reply to pete123:

> Not a sweepstake.. ????

Why not! The person getting closest to your time could get a lump of snow from the plateau .

I assume you'll be heading up soon and not going for this when Tower ridge is in winter condition? 40 minutes to do it in winter would be impressive.

OP pete123 13 Oct 2018
In reply to Removed User:

I done the circuit on Wednesday actually, yes I'll do it in winter too.. 

I personally think doing the big ridges and gully are more fun in winter. 2 seasons ago myself and a friend that's sadly no longer with us managed , Tower ridge, comb gully, green gully, ledge route and number 4. We were back at NF carpark before 2pm. 

Wednesdays time was 2hr48.30sec..my downhill on the zigzags was way out from your time... I l'll go back a few times over the next few weeks, hopefully improving previous the time. Possibly cut out zigzags...

Peter 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...